Player Discussion Dylan Holloway Part 2 | Coming Off of an Injury and Turning Pro in '21-22

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Really hope he starts in the AHL or at most gets a couple of games in the show if he does really well in camp. You want him to destroy the AHL first before becoming a regular NHL player. Don't want him getting stuck as a bottom-six guy when he could develop into so much more given proper development. Also it's way overdue that a guy like Benson gets a real look, even if Holloway would look better in camp.

Reactions: GOilers88

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Really hope he starts in the AHL or at most gets a couple of games in the show if he does really well in camp. You want him to destroy the AHL first before becoming a regular NHL player. Don't want him getting stuck as a bottom-six guy when he could develop into so much more given proper development. Also it's way overdue that a guy like Benson gets a real look, even if Holloway would look better in camp.

He probably do look better than Benson. Unfortunally, mostlu cause Benson should be ready at this point, to be at least a 3rd liner. Picked 32 damned overall. For a good reason

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
The Athletic put out their top 50 prospects list.

vP9nl7q.png

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
One of his most under rated attributes is his one timer, the kid can blast the pill, it never gets talked about and will be his most important attribute for the Oilers with Connor and Leon.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Zegras #4 on that list. I went looking for Broberg and couldn't find him. Must have been some mistake..... I did however find Newhook at #12, Boldy at #13, Krebs at #26, Tomasino at #29, Soderstrom at #38, Podkolzin at #39. What do all those players I just mentioned have in common? They were all taken very quickly after Broberg was taken (with a huge reach pick by Holland) and were all players that people on HF were pretty excited about the opportunity to potentially pick. any of those picks would have been light-years better than Broberg. What a massive, MASSIVE, failure that draft was.

I have looked at this draft in dismay so many times, and it really never stops hurting. Holland foolishly took Broberg at 8, and here are the 9th through 17 picks that were taken directly after him. Zegras, Podkolzin, Soderstrom, Boldy, Knight, York, Caufield, Newhook, Krebs, and finally Harley. All 10 of those players taken next are significantly better than Broberg, and some of them are *laughably* better. Interestingly, Broberg was ranked around the 15-20 mark in most pre-draft rankings. Here is a good compiled list of them: 2019 NHL Draft Rankings. If we just follow the "average rankings" that are compiled, we 100% pick a better player. So frustrating.

Broberg might end up being a serviceable NHL player one day, hell, he might hit it out of the mark and end up a 2nd pairing guy in a few more years. But this was a terrible pick, no matter how you slice it.
I mean I didnt like the pick at the time but I made a post in a different thread showing that if the Oilers just "went with next best pick" instead of their guy we go from Draisaitl, Nurse, Yamamoto to Bennett, Nichushkin and Vesalainen.

Now I don't like the Broberg pick, just like I didn't like the Yamamoto pick but the "next best" doesn't seem like it helps the Oilers much.

The only guys I think we for sure should of gone for were Zegras and Caufield the rest meh

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I would like to see the organization, specifically Jay Woodcroft, develop Holloway meticulously to fill the role of third line center. An internally developed cost control solution that could fill this vital position for a decade.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Back on the topic of Dylan Holloway, it will be really interesting to see what kind of a rookie pro season he has. When he was drafted it seemed like he was going to be more of a 2nd/3rd line type guy. A "safe" pick without a lot of true upside but someone who should play in the NHL in some capacity (I hate these kinds of picks). But his college numbers this past season suggest there is more offense to his game there.

The only time I saw him actually play was the World Juniors. Where frankly I was underwhelmed. But at the same time I understand he was playing through an injury and its tough to draw conclusions based on such a short tournament where lines are changing game to game. His numbers in college were gaudy. The reviews from those who actually watched him were glowing based on his college play.

Really hoping he can step in and have a great AHL rookie year, maybe get some games in the NHL if he's showing well in the AHL.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Back on the topic of Dylan Holloway, it will be really interesting to see what kind of a rookie pro season he has. When he was drafted it seemed like he was going to be more of a 2nd/3rd line type guy. A "safe" pick without a lot of true upside but should play in the NHL in some capacity (I hate these kinds of picks). But his college numbers this past season suggest there is more offense to his game there.

The only time I saw him actually play was the World Juniors. Where frankly I was underwhelmed. But at the same time I understand he was playing through an injury and its tough to draw conclusions based on such a short tournament where lines are changing game to game. His numbers in college were gaudy. The reviews from those who actually watched him were glowing based on his college play.

Really hoping he can step in and have a great AHL rookie year, maybe get some games in the NHL if he's showing well in the AHL.
Yeah I definitely think he at least starts the year in the AHL to give whatever older guy the chance at that 4th line spot and have him force the issue later on. No need to rush him right now so why not give him more ice time in the AHL if we can

He was definitely a surprise for me. Didn't like the pick but I like the way he played last year. I still have a weird feeling he may end up more as a great 3rd liner/spot fill top 6 guy. A guy who is an important guy but never puts up a ton of points but really. That's valuable

Reactions: Faelko

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I would like to see the organization, specifically Jay Woodcroft, develop Holloway meticulously to fill the role of third line center. An internally developed cost control solution that could fill this vital position for a decade.

Agreed. I suspect he breaks in on the wing, but having him be a very good 3rd line C would be fantastic. I think the org maybe sees McLeod in that role though, as he has less scoring ability than Holloway, and doesn't play the rough/banging style of Holloway as well, so wouldn't transition to the wings as well. The other thing that some people have talked about is the potential for Holloway to do well in a top-6 winger role, and allow RNH to play the #3 C role. I'm not sure RNH is good enough on draws and on the defensive side of the game to make that work, but I think the idea has some merit for sure. Long way between that situation and where we are today though, as Holloway hasn't played a single game in the show, yet alone locked down a top-6 winger spot :)

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
dont think we forgot about the Dozens on here calling the pick a bust and a 4th line plug.

At worst holloway will be a hyman type.

At worst?? Holloway turning into Hyman would be a home run.

Anyways, I like him. Didnt like the pick at the time, but hes grown on me a lot as a prospect. I think he has pretty solid chance to land a spot in the bottom 6.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I mean I didnt like the pick at the time but I made a post in a different thread showing that if the Oilers just "went with next best pick" instead of their guy we go from Draisaitl, Nurse, Yamamoto to Bennett, Nichushkin and Vesalainen.

Now I don't like the Broberg pick, just like I didn't like the Yamamoto pick but the "next best" doesn't seem like it helps the Oilers much.

The only guys I think we for sure should of gone for were Zegras and Caufield the rest meh

To be fair, everyone and their mother was begging for Zegras lol

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Zegras #4 on that list. I went looking for Broberg and couldn't find him. Must have been some mistake..... I did however find Newhook at #12, Boldy at #13, Krebs at #26, Tomasino at #29, Soderstrom at #38, Podkolzin at #39. What do all those players I just mentioned have in common? They were all taken very quickly after Broberg was taken (with a huge reach pick by Holland) and were all players that people on HF were pretty excited about the opportunity to potentially pick. any of those picks would have been light-years better than Broberg. What a massive, MASSIVE, failure that draft was.

I have looked at this draft in dismay so many times, and it really never stops hurting. Holland foolishly took Broberg at 8, and here are the 9th through 17 picks that were taken directly after him. Zegras, Podkolzin, Soderstrom, Boldy, Knight, York, Caufield, Newhook, Krebs, and finally Harley. All 10 of those players taken next are significantly better than Broberg, and some of them are *laughably* better. Interestingly, Broberg was ranked around the 15-20 mark in most pre-draft rankings. Here is a good compiled list of them: 2019 NHL Draft Rankings. If we just follow the "average rankings" that are compiled, we 100% pick a better player. So frustrating.

Broberg might end up being a serviceable NHL player one day, hell, he might hit it out of the mark and end up a 2nd pairing guy in a few more years. But this was a terrible pick, no matter how you slice it.
So if he becomes an impact player, it's still a fail because some other guys may have made it to the show first?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Holloway was putting up higher points per game than Caulfield for a sizable portion of the season, until a very late season explosion by Caulfield.

Very excited for the player.

If you're complaining about Broberg can you kindly shut the f*** up about a player not being discussed?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Back on the topic of Dylan Holloway, it will be really interesting to see what kind of a rookie pro season he has. When he was drafted it seemed like he was going to be more of a 2nd/3rd line type guy. A "safe" pick without a lot of true upside but someone who should play in the NHL in some capacity (I hate these kinds of picks). But his college numbers this past season suggest there is more offense to his game there.

I thought Holloway looked very good in the WJC. He was a hound dog on the puck and was all over the place. He earned his time with McMichael and Cozens.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So if he becomes an impact player, it's still a fail because some other guys may have made it to the show first?

No of course not. I suppose there are some extreme examples of this maybe, where the player becomes an impact player late in his career or whatever. In that case then the player who was an impact player earlier in his career would have more total value. But I don't think that is what you are saying here.

If Broberg becomes a top-line Dman, and it doesn't take him until he is 26-27 years old to do it, then yeah, the pick is a success. But if he becomes a bottom-pairing guy, or even just an average 2nd paring guy, then I would argue that it is a failure for a top-10 pick. Especially given the other players available.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I thought Holloway looked very good in the WJC. He was a hound dog on the puck and was all over the place. He earned his time with McMichael and Cozens.

I thought he looked like a guy with zero offensive potential at the next level. A lot of try, not a lot of results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad