DW deserves most of the blame for this mess.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The sharks won't poach any good prospects since we don't have any of the good draft picks for it.

They just have to have the compensatory draft picks to offer sheet someone but I agree at the end of the day, that option isn't going to do anything other than needle a competitor and maybe force them to dump someone they didn't want to. The problem is that the Sharks won't really benefit from that unless they do a complete 180 and load up to compete.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
Not impossible to re-acquire a pick. We have plenty of 2nd or 3rd line tweeners to offer the Stars which is what it would likely cost to get our 3rd back.

Which young players except maybe Nieto and Hertl do you think are close to second line players? And those two are a stretch even.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Which young players except maybe Nieto and Hertl do you think are close to second line players? And those two are a stretch even.

Wingels and Tierney are close. I would keep Tierney, though.

Point is getting our 3rd back from the Stars isn't that hard. Heck, trade one of our tweeners to another team for their 3rd and flip it to the Stars.

If DW does trade for some team's 3rd or ours, he's definitely going the offer sheet route...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Point is getting our 3rd back from the Stars isn't that hard. Heck, trade one of our tweeners to another team for their 3rd and flip it to the Stars.

If DW does trade for some team's 3rd or ours, he's definitely going the offer sheet route...

The fact that he dealt that pick probably only speaks to how much he's really willing to put in an offer sheet this off-season.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The sharks won't poach any good prospects since we don't have any of the good draft picks for it.

All we'd have to do is re-acquire our 3rd from Dallas. Not at all impossible.

I highly highly highly highly highly doubt any offersheets happen, but it's worth discussing, as DW did say he's planing on taking advantage of his cap room.

A fun fantasy I've been thinking about is Mike Hoffman. Let's say he and the Sens go to arbitration (for which he is eligible). The award is too high and the Sens, being the cheapskates they are, let him walk to UFA. By that time, other teams have filled up their cap with UFAs, so we don't have a ton of competition to sign him. Boom, 25 year old top-6 winger.

Karlsson or Wingels would do it, but also it's just a 3rd round pick. Lots of things can get 3rd round picks.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Karlsson or Wingels would do it, but also it's just a 3rd round pick. Lots of things can get 3rd round picks.

A completely inactive James Sheppard got a 3rd round pick. It's certainly doable. Could probably just trade them a 3rd in 2017 to get it back and add a 7th if it's that big of a concern. It would be a good thing to give a go at but I don't think he will. I think his cap usage will be similar to what the Isles did last year. Cheap trade for taking on a decent player with a decent amount of cap space.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Not impossible to re-acquire a pick. We have plenty of 2nd or 3rd line tweeners to offer the Stars which is what it would likely cost to get our 3rd back.

Why would the Stars help us out though? we're direct competitors in our rebuild windows and we have a lot of cap space.

Blocking another team from signing Hamilton or Saad is worth a heck of a lot more than upgrading a 3rd to a 2nd.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
A completely inactive James Sheppard got a 3rd round pick. It's certainly doable. Could probably just trade them a 3rd in 2017 to get it back and add a 7th if it's that big of a concern. It would be a good thing to give a go at but I don't think he will. I think his cap usage will be similar to what the Isles did last year. Cheap trade for taking on a decent player with a decent amount of cap space.

Exactly.

Why would the Stars help us out though? we're direct competitors in our rebuild windows and we have a lot of cap space.

Blocking another team from signing Hamilton or Saad is worth a heck of a lot more than upgrading a 3rd to a 2nd.

So you think Nill would refuse to trade our 3rd back to us out of spite for the slim possibility that we might get someone to sign an offersheet and the team might not match? Given the rarity of offersheets, I really don't think that would happen.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015

I'm not that sure about if the guys you force to take second-line duties by the fact that you lack skilled players qualify them as second liners. Wingels is a maybe. The rest are not that great.

By 3rd pick I assume you mean a third rounder? Well you have a lot of players that are fine third liners and they can command some value but I would rather try to blow up the team before needlessly seeking out upgrades mortgaging even more of the future.

Plus offersheets are as rare as hen teeth, if memory serves DW offered the last one ages ago to Hjalmarsson. I would go along with alien-invasions and such before thinking offersheets would happen.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

Definitely more likely. So who are the Leddy's or Boychuk's this offseason?

The types of players I can see that fit that scenario are (in no particular order):

M. Jones
Voynov (his situation obviously clouds things)
Marchand
Eriksson
TJ Oshie??
Coburn??

None of those players stand out like Leddy did.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The Stars would help us out because it would hurt the Hawks who is more of a direct competitor than the Sharks are and are a bigger threat than the Sharks. I'm sure if the playoffs are their aspirations, they won't hold up a 3rd round pick when trading it back will hurt someone above them.

The types of players I can see that fit that scenario are (in no particular order):

M. Jones
Marchand
Eriksson
TJ Oshie??
Coburn??

I would think Tampa will have some available players as well. Although I don't think any of them stand out much either. Practically, any major market team in the East that likes to look at the free agent market will talk to San Jose about a trade like that.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I would think Tampa will have some available players as well. Although I don't think any of them stand out much either. Practically, any major market team in the East that likes to look at the free agent market will talk to San Jose about a trade like that.

Hagelin should be another target. Kreider may be available? Rangers are very tight as well .

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Exactly.

So you think Nill would refuse to trade our 3rd back to us out of spite for the slim possibility that we might get someone to sign an offersheet and the team might not match? Given the rarity of offersheets, I really don't think that would happen.

It's possible. He's been quite bold in his short time as a gm.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

M. Jones
Marchand
Eriksson
TJ Oshie??
Coburn??

I'd love Brad Marchand if the Bruins trade him. Hate him, but amazing player.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That would be the smart move. Hope DW doesn't bite. :help:

All DW has to do is look at what happened to Clowe and know that Lucic is right there. Age may be different but mileage is about the same. They should have suitors for him but I can't see DW being one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad