Signing(s): Dusty Baker named Nationals manager after they lowball Bud Black

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Something smells fishy about this hiring to me. Black was nearly finalized and then just suddenly leaves because of being lowballed? On top of that, the article about not hiring black managers was only a couple of days old. Seems to me that either MLB intervened, or Washington decided to keep the black manager hiring statistic intact.
Well, dc just attempted to hire a Black manager but settled on Dusty Baker instead....

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
dc media is making it sound like they never offered the job to black ever

all they did was negotiate contracts with the two and then chose one

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I was listening to Fridays kornheiser show just now and they mentioned Ned Yost who was considered an old school guy and eventually opened up to new ideas. Svluga said this played a part in royals winning it all. So hiring an old school manager is by no means a kiss of death for the franchise.

Throw in the supporting cast coaching wise and these boys look primed for a return to relevance. Potential sleeper team.

Kornheiser is a joke. He's a mets/nats fan. He can't even make up his mind lol

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
as of right now nats coaching staff has
Dusty Baker-Manager
Mike Maddux-Pitching Coach
Davey Lopes- First Base Coach

it is believed that alex cora will become bench coach

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
so then why does it matter who is the manager for the nats if they have the same run?

So if I've got this right, because the Mets have a bad manager and made it to the world series where they lost (partially due to managerial blunders) the Nats (or any team for that matter) should hire a bad manager instead of a good one.

Makes sense.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
It’s a shame the Washington Nationals couldn’t get a quality manager but instead had to settle for old, retread Dusty Baker, who wasn’t even their first choice.
(Baker has taken teams to the postseason seven times. Just eight managers since 1900 have done it more often.)
Since Baker ruins pitchers’ arms, doesn’t understand advanced analytics and flops in the playoffs, the Nats’ chances of improvement next season are poor.
(In the past 100 years among managers with 1,000 wins, Baker ranks 22nd in career winning percentage at .526. He has done it despite taking over three teams that were 72-90, 67-95 and 72-90, respectively, the year before he arrived.)
Too bad the Nats did not have a managing vacancy in a year when a gifted skipper was available. If only they could have gotten a “winner†such as Joe Maddon, Buck Showalter or Bruce Bochy. Or a Hall of Fame manager from the past like Tommy Lasorda, Dick Williams or Casey Stengel.
(Baker’s percentage is higher than Maddon’s, at .525; Showalter’s, at .519; Bochy’s, at .503; and those of any of the others mentioned.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...89e22a-83cf-11e5-9afb-0c971f713d0c_story.html

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
whether you agree with his methods or not he tends to win alot of games

Now he has to win in the playoffs, something which outside of 2002 he never really did. I like the Nats chances against the Cubs who will almost certainly get to the NLCS barring a catastrophe in the first round. The question is if without Strasburg the Nats could lose a series to the Dodgers because of Kershaw. As good as Scherzer has been good teams can get his pitch count up and get him out of the game or beat him with the long ball.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I knew Baker would be a great fit for them. They needed a veteran guy like Davey Johnson to re-merge as contenders. Williams inexperience was a big reason they faltered IMO.

Sep 19, 2008
Kornheiser blasting bud black again on the podcast lol. Says Baker had a record of success wherever he went.

I always thought bud black was overrated.

I'm listening to "Move that car!!" - 10/4/2016 on The Tony Kornheiser Show with TuneIn. #NowPlaying http://tun.in/thCa3D

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Kornheiser blasting bud black again on the podcast lol. Says Baker had a record of success wherever he went.

I always thought bud black was overrated.

I'm listening to "Move that car!!" - 10/4/2016 on The Tony Kornheiser Show with TuneIn. #NowPlaying http://tun.in/thCa3D

All that said, he will be on the hot seat next year if they go out in the 1st round. Right now only the NY Rangers rival the Nats as sports teams missing their windows the last decade. Nobody else is even in the same zipcode. With the Braves and Phillies becoming better as well, their window is going to close really fast if they don't do it this year or next. The same goes for the Mets, it better happen next year or the year after.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Manager takes talented team to playoffs. Is a success.

:shakehead

Baseball is a mess. The best team rarely wins. You have some teams that had a history of winning on a regular basis when they were the top team in the league like the 90s Yankees. But look at the 90s Braves, only won one. The early to mid 2000s Yankees won none though they came within one out of doing so. The current Nats team for the last 5 years not only hasn't won one but they also missed the playoffs for 2 years. Meanwhile, none of the Cards teams that won were really anywhere close to the best team, their 1998-2005 teams were all better than their 06, 11, and 13 teams and only the 2010 Giants team was really any good. The others were just teams that knew how to win.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i think williams would have done worse, personally.

it was time for a change. williams was clearly out of his element evidenced when their buffoon closer choked the most important player in the history of the franchise in full view of everyone and williams' reaction was "i didn't see it".

dusty was going to come in and do fine because:

1- he is not matt williams
2- the nationals are talented

bud black could have done the same thing. it's hilarious that we're supposed to give a **** what tony kornheiser thinks about a sport he doesn't ****ing watch.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
i think williams would have done worse, personally.

it was time for a change. williams was clearly out of his element evidenced when their buffoon closer choked the most important player in the history of the franchise in full view of everyone and williams' reaction was "i didn't see it".

dusty was going to come in and do fine because:

1- he is not matt williams
2- the nationals are talented

bud black could have done the same thing. it's hilarious that we're supposed to give a **** what tony kornheiser thinks about a sport he doesn't ****ing watch.

Yea I think Williams inexperience did him in. You have to look at how good they were when they had a veteran manager like Davey Johnson, hence why they only wanted Black or Baker and went with the latter. I agree that Bud would have just as good, but I think Bakers playoff and World Series experience won him over.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I mean, yeah, Baker is better than Williams and a change was needed, but the Nats were so injury-ridden last year compared to this one. Everyone knew if they stayed healthy that they are a playoff contender.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Yea I think Williams inexperience did him in. You have to look at how good they were when they had a veteran manager like Davey Johnson, hence why they only wanted Black or Baker and went with the latter. I agree that Bud would have just as good, but I think Bakers playoff and World Series experience won him over.

They badly overachieved in 2012 with Johnson, that was evidenced pretty well in 2013 when they returned to normalcy and missed the playoffs. Williams screwed up in game 1 in 2014 removing Zimmerman for a guy who had choked 2 years earlier in the playoffs. I don't know if the Nats win that series anyway, but that was bad. Last year they were too injury ridden. I thought Williams may have gotten a raw deal, they probably win the division this year with him anyway with the Mets opening their own hospital and medical center. This year for the Mets was 2015 for the Nats, the Mets just lucked out that the league was weaker. Collins is also probably fired if they miss the playoffs. So both guys probably suffer the same fate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad