Signing(s): Dusty Baker named Nationals manager after they lowball Bud Black

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
According to nats beat writers it is believed former Cubs manager Rick Renteria will become the nats bench coach

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Better than Mattingly or Baker but IMO Williams was not the reason that Zimmerman had an unusually bad year for a guy in a contract season, Fister cannot pitch anymore and the Mets suddenly owned a team they could not get out of their own way against for 3 seasons. The Nats window has basically passed as far as their current roster goes and Zimmerman will be holding a new contract press conference at Miller or Wrigley in about 5 weeks..not at Nationals park...its up to their GM now to do something about that, Black can probably manage the clubhouse a bit better than Williams though.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
you think zimmermann goes to the brewers of all places?

black is better than williams in all capacities. he has experience integrating young players onto an mlb roster and in working with new faces on a pitching staff.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
tha

Better than Mattingly or Baker but IMO Williams was not the reason that Zimmerman had an unusually bad year for a guy in a contract season, Fister cannot pitch anymore and the Mets suddenly owned a team they could not get out of their own way against for 3 seasons. The Nats window has basically passed as far as their current roster goes and Zimmerman will be holding a new contract press conference at Miller or Wrigley in about 5 weeks..not at Nationals park...its up to their GM now to do something about that, Black can probably manage the clubhouse a bit better than Williams though.

thats fine, lets not forget washington has ample pitching prospects ready if necessary.
you have the richest owner in baseball in his 90's so hes gonna be ready to spend big now as we saw in scherzer. with guys like grienke, cueto, price, kennedy and many more you can almost bet washington will grab one of them if they dont resign zimmermann. put joe ross or lucas giolito in for fister and that wraps up the starters

what they need to focus on is the bullpen, the bullpen was the reason nats didnt make the playoffs, not the starters

of course this is all an opinion

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Bud Black was the guy I wanted the Indians to hire back after the 02 season to replace Manuel. Instead Shapiro went with Eric Wedge. Wedge wasn't terrible but Black was the guy I always wanted.

Silentjury

Apr 19, 2014
Great hire but I still think the Nats have a lot of work ahead of them. If the bullpen and the rest of the lineup outside of Harper underperforms, they will produce similar results to this year.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Great hire but I still think the Nats have a lot of work ahead of them. If the bullpen and the rest of the lineup outside of Harper underperforms, they will produce similar results to this year.

hopefully the lineup can stay healthy this time but ya the bullpen stunk. will be tough to beat the mets next year unless they redo the bullpen, even then who knows

Sep 19, 2008
Still have Harper and Rendon and new rookies trea Turner, Joe Ross, plus Michael a Taylor....the window isn't closed its still open.

A lot of the old dudes like Zimmermann and span and Desmond are being phased out for younger talent from a deep farm system.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Yeah I don't know about their window being closed. Harper/Rendon/Turner/Scherzer/Giolito is a pretty good core to build around. And that's not counting guys like Zimmerman who they may bring back and also Strasburg.

By the way I think Strasburg has finally turned the corner. He looked dominant in the 2nd half.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
To be fair, pretty much everything that could go wrong for Walgreens last year did. Ian Desmond forgot how to play baseball too.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
:laugh:

always the first thing i think of when i see the nats logo

You aren't kidding:

Walgreens:

latest

Nationals:

images

Ad