Rumor: Dustin Brown Contract Extension

Captain Mittens*

After looking at all those, the highest I think he deserves is in the low 5s.

On a side note, if Phoenix moves I wonder if Doan retires since he seems to tied to his ranch in Arizona. If he does, they are stuck with a pretty hefty cap hit for a few more years since he's over 35. 3 more years at $5.3 million? Yikes!
He's an athlete with gas left in the tank. He's never won a cup and you can bet your ass he wants one.
Doan would ask for a trade before he retired. I wouldn't be surprised if his contract included the option of a trade if the team move remember he did talk to a lot of teams before he signed his deal

Captain Mittens*

Well, the thing that helps Brown is that he's such a unique player with how he plays, thus making him more valuable to the Kings. We saw how the team performed when Brown was out of the lineup serving his suspension, and it was not pretty.

Although I would say most of us wish he was more consistent in the scoring department, he's a rare player to find in this league and as a result is an irreplaceable component on the roster.
Brown's also a really intense competitor and look back at the tweets from the other kings players the day after his trade rumor hat trick
. Everyone in that room respects that guy and see him as their leader.

Then think about what Cammalleri has become

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
After looking at all those, the highest I think he deserves is in the low 5s.

On a side note, if Phoenix moves I wonder if Doan retires since he seems to tied to his ranch in Arizona. If he does, they are stuck with a pretty hefty cap hit for a few more years since he's over 35. 3 more years at $5.3 million? Yikes!

Meh cap hit means very little to the yotes...

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Who would you guys consider as players who are considerable to Dustin Brown? In the upcoming season, Brown's salary will be $3.5M.

I find the following players to be comparable in the roles that they serve for their respective clubs as physical forwards who are capable of producing goals:

Scott Hartnell, signed a 6-year contract with a cap hit of $4.75M.

Alex Burrows, signed a 4-year contract with a cap hit of $4.5M.

Brooks Laich, signed a 6-year contract with a cap hit of $4.5M.

Tuomo Ruutu, signed a 4-year contract with a cap hit of $4.75M.

Bobby Ryan, signed a 5-year contract with a cap hit of $5.1M.

James Neal, signed a 6-year contract with a cap hit of $5.0M.

Jamie Benn, signed a 5-year contract with a cap hit of $5.25M.

Ryan Callahan, signed a 3-year contract with a cap hit of $4.275M.

Drew Stafford, signed a 4-year contract with a cap hit of $4.0M.

R.J. Umberger, signed a 5-year contract with a cap hit of $4.6M.

David Backes, signed a 5-year contract with a cap hit of $4.5M.

Shane Doan, signed a 4-year contract with a cap hit of $5.3M.

Using those 12 players listed above as examples, the range of their contracts range from $4 million to $5.3 million.

Although Brown may not have the goal scoring prowess of some of the players listed above, I think they can be used as a ceiling for what Brown may be worth. I think the one that stands out most is Shane Doan, who signed his contract as a 35+ player who was a UFA and served as the captain of his team.

Given those examples above, I think that Brown, at most, will sign at $5M to $5.5M.

Good list.

One thing to note though is that it isn't all just about the cap hit, but rather percentage of the cap. Some of those contracts were signed when the cap was below what it is now, meaning that while the cap hit itself is comparable to one another, the actual percentage of the cap when they were each signed isn't.

My point is a $5 mill cap hit signed in 2009 is worth more than one signed today, and as such, Brown may want more.

As well, the contract won't kick in until the cap (most likely) goes up.

All that said, I think Brown takes a discount of sorts. He did on his last deal, he clearly wants to stay here given how those trade rumours lit his ass on fire last season after the deadline, and he's never given any indication he wants to do anything but wear a Kings jersey. I can see sub $5 million actually. $4.4 million per year perhaps on a 5-7 year deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad