Rumor: Dustin Brown Contract Extension

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Brown's contract is set to expire at the end of this season and it appears that Lombardi and Brown will be entering talks soon in order to iron out an extension.

https://twitter.com/CraigCustance/status/347475035671367680
Dean Lombardi said he'll turn attention to extension for Dustin Brown soon but has a couple other priorities to cross off list first.

I'm guessing those priorities include re-signing Scuderi, moving Bernier, and retaining most of the current RFAs. In addition to Brown, the Kings must also extend Matt Greene who will also be set to become a UFA next summer.

Brown signed a 6-year, $19.05M pact back in 2008 ($3.175M AAV). My inkling is that Brown will be re-upped for another 6 to 8 year term at $4.5M per.

Captain Mittens*

Brown signed a 6-year, $19.05M pact back in 2008 ($3.175M AAV). My inkling is that Brown will be re-upped for another 6 to 8 year term at $4.5M per.

I hope it's that low (that's what she said)

I was talking my friend about this today and he was thinking
5+mil per. I sure hope you are right (my friend sniffs glue so you probably are)

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Cool. I'm hoping we get him locked up for 6 mil at the most. More than that might sting, less than that and it feels like a nice discount. Dangle a NMC to get the price down, I'm sure Brown would appreciate the extra safety in that.

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Everything we have seen so far from Brown indicates he wants to remain a Kings and is willing to take a hometown discount. Hopefully we can get another solid deal.

Captain Mittens*

I stand corrected

The maximum length of player contracts will be seven years, with an exception permitting teams to re-sign their own free agents for eight years, and is longer than the NHL's previously proposed five-year limit.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Long time King, Cup winner, captain, signed a great deal(for him sure, but especially for the organization) last time. I would think it starts at at least $5 million a year to get him to stay.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Brown signed for pretty cheap in 2008, wonder if maybe he will try and cash in this time.

I think 4.5 seems really really low, especially if the cap is back up next summer. Brown would be in huge demand if he ever got to the open market.

I'm thinking Brown will want similar money to Carter and Richards, and rightfully so.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
6-mil...are you out of your mind?? The guys has had one 30+ goal season and you want to pay him 6-mil? No f-ing way.

First off, he already signed a very cheap contract 5 years ago, so the Kings kind of owe him.

Second, everyone else is getting paid. Voynov 4+ coming off his first full NHL season, Penner and Stoll 3+ coming off miserable individual seasons, Regehr 3 million for some reason.

I don't think Brown is the Rob Blake/Ryan Smyth type who will go to the ends of the Earth chasing the biggest offer, but if he did hit the market someone would give him 5.5 to 6 million. Brown is a very unique player, not a lot of guys like him in the NHL.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
6-mil...are you out of your mind?? The guys has had one 30+ goal season and you want to pay him 6-mil? No f-ing way.

I wouldn't want him for 6 per either but look at the contract Lucic got. I think we'll keep him for sth between 4.75 - 5.25.

EmperorPenguin

Jun 11, 2010
Cool. I'm hoping we get him locked up for 6 mil at the most. More than that might sting, less than that and it feels like a nice discount. Dangle a NMC to get the price down, I'm sure Brown would appreciate the extra safety in that.

Definitely. I could see Brown being the one player Dean gives some form of a NTC/NMC to. With all that went down in 11-12 at the deadline and with Brown and his family so rooted and involved in the LA area I think he's earned it. Give him a NTC/NMC in exchange for a bit of a lower cap hit (4-4.5 range please!), max him out at 8 years.

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
I'm guessing, with what he went through last year, that he'd be willing to lower his AAV for a NMC.

Edit: And EmperorPenguin beats me to it. :)

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think $5M per is the most I'd go with Brown. He's a 20+ goals, 50+ points winger. Patrick Kane carries a cap hit of $6.3M, hell Tavares is at $5.5M. Anywhere between $4.5-5M is ideal. But with the cap going up after next season, who knows what he'll be asking for.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site

You dont really believe he is a 6 million per year player do you? That is 1 million less than Datsyuk.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
You dont really believe he is a 6 million per year player do you? That is 1 million less than Datsyuk.

No. But you have to consider the new contract structure under the new CBA, hell, Perry and Getzlaf get over $8M, you can't tell me they're on par with Sid.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
No. But you have to consider the new contract structure under the new CBA, hell, Perry and Getzlaf get over $8M.

I like Brown a lot. But when players who play his style reach the upper 20's i personaly would never pay him what he's not worth. The time to pay him what he wasnt worth was the last contract where there is less risk, and hadnt peeked like he has now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad