Dunn’s next contract

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Remember this when we deal Dunn.
Dunn or Faulk have to go now. I personally am not excited to move Dunn only for him to blossom elsewhere, but looking at this D, way too many OFD competing for minutes and not enough who can actually play defense.

I know there are a large contingent that don’t like Dunn, but Krug and Faulk also fall under the make bad turnovers contingent.

We haven’t even begun to look at what a PK looks like. Will we play a forward on defense to cover the 2nd pairing left side PK? Because our D there looks pretty bad. This also assumes Faulk is your #2 PK’er. Will we have to use a RHD on his offhand to play #2 LHD PK?

Our D is a mess as it stands.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Dunn or Faulk have to go now. I personally am not excited to move Dunn only for him to blossom elsewhere, but looking at this D, way too many OFD competing for minutes and not enough who can actually play defense.

I know there are a large contingent that don’t like Dunn, but Krug and Faulk also fall under the make bad turnovers contingent.

We haven’t even begun to look at what a PK looks like. Will we play a forward on defense to cover the 2nd pairing left side PK? Because our D there looks pretty bad. This also assumes Faulk is your #2 PK’er. Will we have to use a RHD on his offhand to play #2 LHD PK?

Parayko, Faulk, Scandella, and whomever is in lineup of Mikkola, Gunnar, and Bortz can all kill penalties.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

All of this. Finally some sense is made.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I like Dunn but it's a numbers game for me and the 2015 draft was very good to us to the extent that we have a much better actual defender to replace him in Mikkola who is being undersold amongst these reactions.

So are we getting forward help now or futures for Dunn? Given the news today regarding Steen not progressing like he hoped it looks like he'll be missing extensive time. Do we attempt to address that using Dunn? We were already short Tarasenko for most or all of next season so using Dunn as currency to backfill at wing seems a reasonable assumption.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I would rather keep Dunn and trade Perunovich, but one of them has to go.

Perunovich can at least be left to develop in the AHL so it has to be Dunn. I'm with you on not wanting 3 OFD on the same unit and I've seen that same sentiment expressed by several posters here. Between Krug and Faulk we've already committed to our 2 OFD and the rest should be 2 way or D first guys.

Parayko, Krug, Faulk, Scandella, Mikkola, Bortuzzo and Gunnarson at least gives us that structuring with Perunovich on deck as injury replacement for either of Krug or Faulk. Dunn being here screws up our structuring and he can be moved to get us an equivalent forward so it seems like an easy decision to me.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah I want to trade Dunn for a similarly aged forward that can pop in some goals. We need some insurance up front. We can win games without Tank, but if another top 6 forward goes down then we would be hurting.

I’d be willing to include Blais with him too. Those 2 packaged could land us a 2nd line winger. I think we have enough bangers now in Sanford, Barbashev, Sunny, Clifford, Mac, etc that can play physical in the bottom 6. Blais is very inconsistent and has trouble staying healthy that I think he’s the guy that we could upgrade up front with a legitimate producer and that would help us a lot.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I would rather keep Dunn and trade Perunovich, but one of them has to go.
Perunovich is expansion draft exempt, cheaper, can play either side, can be in the AHL until Gunnarsson is gone and probably doesn't have the value that Dunn has. It makes more sense to move Dunn.

Yeah I want to trade Dunn for a similarly aged forward that can pop in some goals. We need some insurance up front. We can win games without Tank, but if another top 6 forward goes down then we would be hurting.

I’d be willing to include Blais with him too. Those 2 packaged could land us a 2nd line winger. I think we have enough bangers now in Sanford, Barbashev, Sunny, Clifford, Mac, etc that can play physical in the bottom 6. Blais is very inconsistent and has trouble staying healthy that I think he’s the guy that we could upgrade up front with a legitimate producer and that would help us a lot.
I wonder if something around DeBrusk and Dunn could make sense.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

I wouldn’t move Blais. He keeps getting better and better

Reactions: 67Blues

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
Perunovich is expansion draft exempt, cheaper, can play either side, can be in the AHL until Gunnarsson is gone and probably doesn't have the value that Dunn has. It makes more sense to move Dunn.

I wonder if something around DeBrusk and Dunn could make sense.
God I would LOVE DeBrusk. Dunn + Blais/Sanford + futures, sign me up.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Unless we somehow move Faulk this offseason, I just don't think there is any chance Dunn's next contract is with the Blues. Dunn hadn't been able to crack our top 4 under Berube. It is crystal clear that Scandella will have a top 4 spot locked up under Berube. Dunn couldn't beat Eddy for a top 4 spot. After we moved Eddy, Berube consistently preferred to give Faulk top 4 minutes on the left side over Dunn. Now with Krug in the lineup, it is very obvious that Dunn doesn't have a path into the top 4. He just isn't going to beat out Parayko, Faulk, Krug or Scandella for 5 on 5 minutes. Berube has never trusted him to kill penalties and he is now 4th on the depth chart for blue line PP usage.

Unless Faulk is moved and Dunn can grab some of those minutes, Dunn isn't going to hit his potential on the Blues. We could play him on our bottom pairing, 2nd PP unit again this year and watch him contribute what he did last season, but then we are exposing him to Seattle and potentially losing him for nothing AND making it less likely that Seattle takes Faulk off our hands.

My ideal world would see us getting out of the Faulk contract, but I just don't see it with a flat cap. At this point, I think the play is to trade Dunn either for futures, forward help and/or as part of a package to shed salary. As stated earlier, my preference would have been to give Dunn the opportunity to seize a top 4, top PP role on a bridge deal. But we grabbed Krug for that role instead, so now we need to maximize our asset while we can.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Unless we somehow move Faulk this offseason, I just don't think there is any chance Dunn's next contract is with the Blues. Dunn hadn't been able to crack our top 4 under Berube. It is crystal clear that Scandella will have a top 4 spot locked up under Berube. Dunn couldn't beat Eddy for a top 4 spot. After we moved Eddy, Berube consistently preferred to give Faulk top 4 minutes on the left side over Dunn. Now with Krug in the lineup, it is very obvious that Dunn doesn't have a path into the top 4. He just isn't going to beat out Parayko, Faulk, Krug or Scandella for 5 on 5 minutes. Berube has never trusted him to kill penalties and he is now 4th on the depth chart for blue line PP usage.

Unless Faulk is moved and Dunn can grab some of those minutes, Dunn isn't going to hit his potential on the Blues. We could play him on our bottom pairing, 2nd PP unit again this year and watch him contribute what he did last season, but then we are exposing him to Seattle and potentially losing him for nothing AND making it less likely that Seattle takes Faulk off our hands.

My ideal world would see us getting out of the Faulk contract, but I just don't see it with a flat cap. At this point, I think the play is to trade Dunn either for futures, forward help and/or as part of a package to shed salary. As stated earlier, my preference would have been to give Dunn the opportunity to seize a top 4, top PP role on a bridge deal. But we grabbed Krug for that role instead, so now we need to maximize our asset while we can.
I’d go a step further. I think the Krug signing marked the end of Dunn being in the Blues’ plans. It may not be an immediate move, and maybe the even keep him on the roster in the short term (before Tarasenko returns), but I think the team is not planning to keep him.

Its more interesting because he is cost controlled. But that’s also why he holds more value in trade. He should return a valuable asset. I’d like to see them get an ELC forward with some upside. Either way, I would expect the Blues to want a cost-controlled asset in return. The free agent market being what it is, there are probably some decent veteran depth forwards available at lower salaries, so getting futures returns for Dunn is acceptable too.

I see a team like New Jersey or Columbus being interested.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I’d go a step further. I think the Krug signing marked the end of Dunn being in the Blues’ plans. It may not be an immediate move, and maybe the even keep him on the roster in the short term (before Tarasenko returns), but I think the team is not planning to keep him.

Its more interesting because he is cost controlled. But that’s also why he holds more value in trade. He should return a valuable asset. I’d like to see them get an ELC forward with some upside. Either way, I would expect the Blues to want a cost-controlled asset in return. The free agent market being what it is, there are probably some decent veteran depth forwards available at lower salaries, so getting futures returns for Dunn is acceptable too.

I see a team like New Jersey or Columbus being interested.
I agree because I don't see any way Faulk is not on the roster on January 1, 2021. If Army somehow manages to accomplish that, then I could see a couple avenues where Dunn is around for another year or two (but still not long-term). But if Faulk is still here, then I just don't think it makes sense to sign Dunn this summer.

When I said "next contract" I was referring to the one he needs to sign this summer, not the one following that.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I’ve seen people suggest Justin Faulk is going to Seattle and I’m wondering why.

You have zero right handed depth on defense. Who are you protecting? Parayko, Krug, and Dunn?!

If that’s the case, Parayko should ask for 15 mil a year based on the minutes we’re going to have to ask him to play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad