Dundon Needs to buy the Checkers. At any cost.

Cynicaps

Aug 19, 2011
An NHL team needs an AHL affiliate. It is unnatural to not have one.

Dundon has the money to buy out the Checkers. Even if he overpaid it is worth every penny. That the AHL is casually fine without an affiliate for the Canes AND letting the Wolves go independent without any plans for a 33rd team is asinine and immoral.

How do you mess up something so badly?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
no, no he doesnt. Charlotte doesnt support a hockey team.

ahl isnt required to provide an affiliate either.

should change your names to whinnynicaps, amirite

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Dundon has the money to buy out the Checkers. Even if he overpaid it is worth every penny. That the AHL is casually fine without an affiliate for the Canes AND letting the Wolves go independent without any plans for a 33rd team is asinine and immoral.

So why doesn’t Florida buy out the Checkers? They are already affiliated.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

you again?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
no, no he doesnt. Charlotte doesnt support a hockey team.

ahl isnt required to provide an affiliate either.

Sorry, but I have to completely disagree here.

As a Charlotte resident (‘burbs) and Checkers game attender for the past 15 or so yrs, there’s no shortage of minor league hockey fans here. Since they moved to Bojo’s arena, I want to say they’ve consistently been among the league leaders in attendance, at least that was the case when they were the Canes’ affiliate.

Now, honestly, I haven’t been to a game since the affiliate change, b/c I don’t really give a crap about FLA prospects, but from what I can gather, they’ve had no issuse with support since the switch. I never really understood the lack of marketing between the 2 orgs.

Anyway, Charlotte has zero problem supporting an AHL team, even in the old ECHL days, they filled the arena - be it the old Cricket (now Bojo’s) arean or the few yrs they played Uptown at the Spectrum arena (no idea what they call it now, could care less about the Hornets). An NHL team might have issues, but for AHL hockey, other than proximity to other AHL franchises, Charlotte is ideal.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Sorry, but I have to completely disagree here.

As a Charlotte resident (‘burbs) and Checkers game attender for the past 15 or so yrs, there’s no shortage of minor league hockey fans here. Since they moved to Bojo’s arena, I want to say they’ve consistently been among the league leaders in attendance, at least that was the case when they were the Canes’ affiliate.

Now, honestly, I haven’t been to a game since the affiliate change, b/c I don’t really give a crap about FLA prospects, but from what I can gather, they’ve had no issuse with support since the switch. I never really understood the lack of marketing between the 2 orgs.

Anyway, Charlotte has zero problem supporting an AHL team, even in the old ECHL days, they filled the arena - be it the old Cricket (now Bojo’s) arean or the few yrs they played Uptown at the Spectrum arena (no idea what they call it now, could care less about the Hornets). An NHL team might have issues, but for AHL hockey, other than proximity to other AHL franchises, Charlotte is ideal.
charlotte will put the butts in seats with their cheap ticket deals and such. Checkers cant get enough money to support their very high travel costs in the AHL. the need to be an echl team and travel to greenville, norfolk etc.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
What doesn’t make sense isn’t Carolina not owning an affiliate, it’s the AHL not requiring NHL affiliation for Chicago or kicking them out for being unable to cooperate with multiple NHL franchises.

If the AHL doesn’t want to require affiliation, then just end it completely and make the AHL the Wild West of minor league hockey with random prospects on random teams.

Nothing says it’s an imperative that an NHL owner own an AHL team.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I mean, maybe it's not "immoral", but I don't get why y'all are busting this guy's balls over this. Are there any other NHL teams whose AHL affiliate shit all over them like this and just straight up don't have one?
Last one I could think of was the Wolves with Anaheim St. Louis when Vegas joined. St. Louis spent a year splitting players between San Antonio and Chicago.

I think there might be a pattern here…

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I mean, maybe it's not "immoral", but I don't get why y'all are busting this guy's balls over this. Are there any other NHL teams whose AHL affiliate shit all over them like this and just straight up don't have one?
Yeah, this.

The Hurricanes need to get an AHL team, and preferably in NC again.

Not having an AHL team screws up the farm pipeline, and development for prospects.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Charlotte tried to strong arm Dundon into paying for things that no other NHL funds. They can get f***ed for trying to pull that stunt.

Chicago is its own breed of insanity. They have burned bridges throughout the NHL with multiple teams that have finished at or near the top of the NHL in recent years that otherwise run a very good organization. They very much are the problem in their relationships.

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Charlotte tried to strong arm Dundon into paying for things that no other NHL funds. They can get f***ed for trying to pull that stunt.

Chicago is its own breed of insanity. They have burned bridges throughout the NHL with multiple teams that have finished at or near the top of the NHL in recent years that otherwise run a very good organization. They very much are the problem in their relationships.
Should've been a red flag for the Hurricanes organization before they worked with Chicago.

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Where we were prospect wise at the time, even with their red flags, chicago made too much sense
Yeah, I didn't keep up much with the news over the switch to Chicago at the time when it happened.

So, I was thinking somebody would say it was a great option at the time, lack of a good alternative, etc.

Even if there was a lack of an alternative (since I don't know enough about things back then), there were enough serious red flags about Chicago. It's just a shame Carolina walked down that path with them given the turn of events.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

I'm curious bc I never really could find details, but what were they asking Dundon to pay for? Most AHL teams that aren't outright owned by their NHL team owner are still pretty heavily funded by them. Again, most AHL teams aren't exactly big money-makers

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm curious bc I never really could find details, but what were they asking Dundon to pay for? Most AHL teams that aren't outright owned by their NHL team owner are still pretty heavily funded by them. Again, most AHL teams aren't exactly big money-makers
They basically wanted Dundon to pay all the operating expenses while they themselves pocketed all the proceeds

Reactions: cptjeff

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Fair enough, but is there any other NHL franchise without a minor league affiliate?

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Fair enough, but is there any other NHL franchise without a minor league affiliate?
Not at present, but it does happen from time to time. It's not great, but for one year it's not a disaster.

Does Carolina need to solve its affiliation problem? Yes, and they are working on a plan to handle it once and for all by the 2024-2025 season, which probably means buying an affiliate. Note that 20 NHL teams own their affiliates outright.

Would it be nice to own the Checkers? Maybe, but their current owners would have to want to sell at a reasonable price. We all discussed this at length when the Checkers drama happened.

Is there any solution other than buying the Checkers? Obviously yes. There are obviously candidate teams that are struggling and could more likely be bought cheaply and relocated. Like, say, Tucson.

Would such a solution be UNNATURAL or ASININE or IMMORAL? Obviously not, and the OP is being overly dramatic and silly (and not for the first time). Not only that, but this conversation doesn't even merit its own thread because we've got a thread for minor league discussions.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00