Duncan Keiths Future

Keiths Future

• Total voters

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I've been thinking a lot lately about the future of Duncan Keith. Part of me thinks he is going to retire this off-season. He has 2 years left, at a 5.538 AAV, but only makes 2.1mil in real dollars next year. It was a very tough year on Keith, both from a personal stand point, and his on ice play.

His really close friend Seabs retired, he struggled to play well a lot of the nights, someone mentioned that he commented on it being a tough year physically for him (uncharacteristically), and he ended the year by getting a concussion.

Obviously I haven't heard any rumours or whispers, just a thought I have had.

Where do you think it goes from here?
Does Keith come back for another year or 2?, does he get traded, or does he call it a career?

Im also curious what his recapture penalty is? I can't seem to find it.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I think Keith comes back. Keith seems like the kind of guy that's going to play until he's physically unable to or the league shuts the door on him.

EDIT: And no, he won't be traded lol.

Reactions: COHawk

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
If he comes back you gotta think he asks for reduced minutes. It’s hard to think this year was enjoyable for him. Ton of minutes, didn’t play well, and his team sucked.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
If he comes back you gotta think he asks for reduced minutes. It’s hard to think this year was enjoyable for him. Ton of minutes, didn’t play well, and his team sucked.
He? No way at all he asks for reduced minutes. He'll be angry and all get out about it but he should be given less minutes.

Kalynuk or Stillman/Z (Maybe only one will whither will remain) need to be given many more minutes at LD over Keith.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hasn't he mentioned in the last year or two interest about playing into his 40s? Why would he have a sudden change of heart now?

He'll keep playing, no doubt about it. But he may have to except that in the near future, he won't be a guy getting 24 minutes a night.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I've been thinking a lot lately about the future of Duncan Keith. Part of me thinks he is going to retire this off-season. He has 2 years left, at a 5.538 AAV, but only makes 2.1mil in real dollars next year. It was a very tough year on Keith, both from a personal stand point, and his on ice play.

His really close friend Seabs retired, he struggled to play well a lot of the nights, someone mentioned that he commented on it being a tough year physically for him (uncharacteristically), and he ended the year by getting a concussion.

Obviously I haven't heard any rumours or whispers, just a thought I have had.

Where do you think it goes from here?
Does Keith come back for another year or 2?, does he get traded, or does he call it a career?

Im also curious what his recapture penalty is? I can't seem to find it.

He wouldn't do that to the Hawks. If he wanted to retire he'd allow the Hawks to buy him out and then would do it.

NHL Adjusts Recapture Penalties

Recapture is the player's cap hit until the entire cap benefit is used up.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
He? No way at all he asks for reduced minutes. He'll be angry and all get out about it but he should be given less minutes.

Kalynuk or Stillman/Z (Maybe only one will whither will remain) need to be given many more minutes at LD over Keith.

True, his ego would probably stop him from asking for less minutes. But he should.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
It's slightly cheaper, but has 2 years of 600k cap hit that the Hawks may not want. His cap hit is pretty irrelevant for the next 2 years.
I think if Keith wanted to hang 'em up he'd LTIRetire like people said.

I can't find anything on cap friendly about what recapture would look like, so we can only speculate.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
He just ended the season concussed... he wouldn't file retire he would ltir retire if it happened.

If he doesn't have lingering concussion symptoms, I fully expect him to play out his contract and maybe even pick up one or two years at league minimum to close out his career either in Chicago or elsewhere.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think if Keith wanted to hang 'em up he'd LTIRetire like people said.

I can't find anything on cap friendly about what recapture would look like, so we can only speculate.
I mean he could, but wouldn't the doctors have to give him the advice to stop playing, like they did with Shaw?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The Leafs aren't calling up Freddie but saying he's cleared to play in the ahl but not cleared to play in the NHL because cap.

Tampa with Kurcherov/Stamkos seem they have been ready to play an NHL game already but won't for the cap.

The league let's you do it. There's no real need to really find his knee or concussion history. Any Dr should say at that point dont play after this conclusion, Shaw should of stopped last year that he even got cleared to come back was a surprise and it felt inevitable that he would be concussed again.

The only cap circumvent contract that hurt the team was because Vancouver traded away Lou and it didn't help Florida any to care to ltir him over him just retiring.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Playboys his cobtract then retire ...because after 2 more seasons where he cannot offense or shutdown top 4 level defense tgere is no point to continue.. even at league minimum and at his age then.

Keeping him then even if he agrees to leaguevnknimum would be a mistake.

Time for new era.

The only reason he pkaysvout cibtractvisctge NMC and re-caoture clause on the cap hit if hevretired early.

Stan knew the back years of the13 year deal would be ugly.. and it is.

Besides keeping Keith (off the cliff version now) ensures we still willbe in the Shane Wright Sweepstakes next season and maybe the Connor Bedard/Matvei Michkov Tankarama in 22/23.

We want Keith to stink the final 2 years of his deal because we must be in the lotto for our shots at these franchise talents coming up in the 2 drafts after the current one.

Keith and a lousy dcoros willbe a huge part of our tank goals for the nextc2 seasons.

After helping us stink,he can then go off into the sunset content that we have secured a superstar or two (maybe(.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad