Duncan Keiths Future

Keiths Future

• Total voters

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I definitely see him playing next year but the year after when “only” 1.5M in cash is on the table for him I could see him calling it quits.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't sign another contract after this one is done.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
At end of day the TOI Keith has to endure at this age is absurd and its not because of "Keith's Ego"

Its reality that our GM failed miserably at building a defense for years that Keith is still far and away the best LHD on team with no other viable alternative yet to emerge

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
At end of day the TOI Keith has to endure at this age is absurd and its not because of "Keith's Ego"

Its reality that our GM failed miserably at building a defense for years that Keith is still far and away the best LHD on team with no other viable alternative yet to emerge
So give him no pp time and he's fine?

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Keith is too important as a mentor, leader and player, but he does need his minutes reduces.....I think the Hawks could definitely proportion their 3 d lines more equitably. I think Zaderov will be traded so I could see a Boqvist/Murphy, Keith/Kalnyuk, Beaudin/Mitchell/Stillman type of scenario with pretty similar minutes with the top 2. Not that Stillman is great by any means, but he makes Zaderov expendable.

Reactions: sandyfalkirk

sandyfalkirk

Jun 18, 2014
Scotland
If Keith asks for another shot at a cup do you trade him?

I don't want to see him in another sweater but everyone is tradable......

Keith played a lot this year because we needed him too and because the coach was unable to (whos fault I don't know) get him off the PP when he clearly should not be on it.

If Keith got traded to Tampa/Boston/Carolina etc....he'd not be playing 24 a night

He can still skate better than so many in this league at the age he is, so I expect him back.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site

Not going to respond to your typical move of turning absolutely any argument into one over Stan Bowman, but wanted to address the above. It absolutely is about Keith's ego. I love the guy, and I think part of the reason he became as great a defenseman as he has is because of that ego and confidence in himself. But there has to come a time, and for the Hawks sake I hope it is soon, where he acknowledges where he is in his career and accepts a reduced role. I know Keith can be an excellent middle pairing, PK defenseman for several more seasons. But he has to realize that is where he is in his career. Him grumbling about PP time and the like is nothing but toxic to a young team looking to develop these young defenseman. If he can accept a reduced role, and continue to mentor these young Dmen he will be an asset for a while longer. If he doesn't, there is going to have to be a decision made.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I could absolutely see him requesting a trade. He's coming to the end of his career, and despite his media training, he's very much not the 'happy to help the kids while the team sucks' type of guy. He wants to win. He'll ask to move to a team that has a chance to win now, the Blackhawks will retain some salary on the last years to get more value.

A team that underperforms or gets close-but-not-quite thanks to defensive deficiency in the playoffs this season will be the destination. I'm thinking a Pittsburgh or a Boston.

Ultimately, Keith will call his shot. If he wants to stay he will. I don't see him retiring though.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
If Keith wanted a trade I think he’d have asked for it by now, especially when the vets were being bitch asses when JC first took over. I can’t see him asking for a trade at this point unless it’s at the TDL of the final year of his contract.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Is there a player in any sport that you can think of that was as amazing as Duncan Keith and was so criminally underpaid throughout his entire career?
Keith chose long term security rather than gambling on a bigger contract down the line. Can't blame him, but lucky for the Hawks and fans.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
The Leafs aren't calling up Freddie but saying he's cleared to play in the ahl but not cleared to play in the NHL because cap.

Tampa with Kurcherov/Stamkos seem they have been ready to play an NHL game already but won't for the cap.

The league let's you do it. There's no real need to really find his knee or concussion history. Any Dr should say at that point dont play after this conclusion, Shaw should of stopped last year that he even got cleared to come back was a surprise and it felt inevitable that he would be concussed again.

The only cap circumvent contract that hurt the team was because Vancouver traded away Lou and it didn't help Florida any to care to ltir him over him just retiring.

That would be such a great read if it were true. “Freddie” was on a rehab assignment (3 game max) in the AHL.
Unless something changed since Saturday both Kucherov and Stamkos were practicing in non contact drills.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
Keith is such a warrior, he'll be 70 with a walker still thinking he can play 30 minutes a night. It's a shame since even now he just can't play at a high level anymore.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Keith will be back for two more, and maybe even another last year after that as a swan song...he's 204 games back of Stan Mikita for most games as a Hawk allltime...I'd love to see him get that mark!

Reactions: Muffinalt and Crow

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I agree and don't think Keith offers much in the way of mentorship.

I think he does. If you listen to the young guys they say he's a good mentor and welcoming. Just tonight Hardman said so on the WGN podcast. You can also see Boqvist likes playing with him and is relaxed and casual around him. That moment is training camp sticks out where he absolutely schooled 18-year-old Krutil but then went over and gave him some tips. More than one older veteran would have walked away smirking after schooling a kid like that. Vets are very aware the kids are coming for their jobs and it anything Keith seems to enjoy playing with younger guys.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Ya, I'm sure a couple arm chair posters know more about Keith's mentorship than the young players that comment on his mentorship.

In 15 years of listening to DK interviews I have yet to hear a particularly astute comment when breaking down plays. Maybe he's better 1 on 1 in person.

I hope nobody is waiting for a young player to say Keith?, guys been a real jerk or some such.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
TIL- DK is "criminally" underpaid with a 70+ million dollar contract, and that he doesn't mentor younger defenseman when every single young defenseman who pairs with him is magically competent.

Never change guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->