• Keith

• Niedermayer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Who was the better defenseman in their prime?

GettyImages-477284206.0.jpg

MV5BZGYxZjI5MzYtYzViMy00ZGRkLTliODQtOGI0MjU2OTBjMTE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Considering they're actually quite close, I'll take the guy who has won everything.

I know the question is who was better in their prime, and to me that's still Niedermayer.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Nieds but close. These two are about as close as you can get.

Considering they're actually quite close, I'll take the guy who has won everything.

I know the question is who was better in their prime, and to me that's still Niedermayer.
Ermmm... Both have won pretty much everything.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Keith's peak was quite insane; among the best peak's maybe ever. Maybe top 5. Niedermayer had a longer prime. Very close; can't decide. I'll go with Scott; but there isn't a wrong choice here imo

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Niedermayer has become overrated. In his first decade in the NHL, he had one great season (1998). He only played at his peak level from the 2003 playoffs until 2007 - but since that was pretty late in his career, many people project backwards and assume he had been at that level his entire career.

During his first decade in the NHL, he got less consideration for the Norris trophy than Eric Desjardins and Sandis Ozolinsh, and only slightly more than Teppo Numminen. Not that Norris voting is a perfect measure, but in this case I think it accurately shows that he didn't become an elite performer until very late into his twenties.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Niedermayer has become overrated. In his first decade in the NHL, he had one great season (1998). He only played at his peak level from the 2003 playoffs until 2007 - but since that was pretty late in his career, many people project backwards and assume he had been at that level his entire career.

During his first decade in the NHL, he got less consideration for the Norris trophy than Eric Desjardins and Sandis Ozolinsh, and only slightly more than Teppo Numminen. Not that Norris voting is a perfect measure, but in this case I think it accurately shows that he didn't become an elite performer until very late into his twenties.
Agreed that Nieds is overrated generally, but I think Keith is a pretty good comparable all the same. Both have 6 top 10 Norris finishes, with their top finishes being 1, 2, 2 for Nieds and 1, 1, 4 for Keith. Keith has 3 postseason All-Stars versus 4 for Nieds (1, 1, 1, 2, versus 1, 1, 2 for Keith). Both have a Smythe. Keith has 3 Cups, Nieds has 4. Both have 2 gold medals in the Olympics.

Nieds has one in the WCs but I don't think that shifts the argument at all. Neither does World Cup or World Juniors - those are irrelevant in the comparison.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Agreed that Nieds is overrated generally, but I think Keith is a pretty good comparable all the same. Both have 6 top 10 Norris finishes, with their top finishes being 1, 2, 2 for Nieds and 1, 1, 4 for Keith. Keith has 3 postseason All-Stars versus 4 for Nieds (1, 1, 1, 2, versus 1, 1, 2 for Keith). Both have a Smythe. Keith has 3 Cups, Nieds has 4. Both have 2 gold medals in the Olympics.

Nieds has one in the WCs but I don't think that shifts the argument at all. Neither does World Cup or World Juniors - those are irrelevant in the comparison.

Good summary. For the record, I agree that they're very similar in terms of style, accomplishments, and where they should be ranked all-time.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I picked Keith. Not a whole lot of reason or separation.

Just I kinda feel Nieds had another Norris calibre player to play with in Stevens and Pronger, and a nearly Norris guy in Rafalski, and one of the best goalies in history backstopping him.

Just seems like Keith did it alone.. playing 40mins a game.

I don't necessarily believe that makes him BETTER, but I think he accomplished a lot of the same things with lesser players.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

Just I kinda feel Nieds had another Norris winner to play with in Stevens, and a nearly Norris guy in Rafalski, and one of the best goalies in history backstopping him.

Even in Anaheim he had Pronger there.

I don't necessarily believe that makes him BETTER, but I think he accomplished a lot of the same things with lesser players.
Buckle up...

Scott Stevens never won the Norris. 16 top 10 finishes but zero wins.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Peak/prime I take Keith, overall career I take Niedermayer.

It took Keith several years to hit his stride and become elite, in fact he was actually quite poor his first few years in the league. Nieds was great almost immediately and was consistent until he retired.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

Just I kinda feel Nieds had another Norris calibre player to play with in Stevens and Pronger, and a nearly Norris guy in Rafalski, and one of the best goalies in history backstopping him.

I think that's a fair take (although I don't know if Niedermayer ever had the forward talent to rack up points that Keith had either). Honestly, these two are just eerily similar players all around.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad