Dumoulin vs Despres

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think we all, myself included, often need a dose of patience and perspective.

I believe that many of the people here who voted "Dumoulin" also said something like

"I don't mind trading Despres, Harrington, Pouliot, Dumoulin, Maatta, Lovejoy, and Cole are all better."

Concussion issue aside, I don't think you can confidently say that about any person listed right now.

Maybe in the future every person there surpasses Despres (other than Lovejoy, since it's unlikely he gets better as he gets further into his 30s).

Maybe none of them surpass Despres.

Maybe all of them suffer significant injuries and none of them are in the league at the age of 25.

The point is, many people hate Despres. They think he's dumb. They think he falls down. They think he can't play defense. They think Scuderi carried him to greatness.

I love Despres more than most, but I still feel confident in saying that many of you dislike Despres for reasons you can't even possible articulate in a reasonably-intelligent manner. Simply because it became posh and "in" to hate Despres.

It was okay'd by the organization when they aired Bylsma making fun of his name. It was encouraged by the media. And many of you buy into the notion that he has a drug, alcohol, gambling problem. Despite who the Penguins currently employ. And despite the fact that the Ducks just handed him a guaranteed $19MM.

The evidence can walk up to some of you and hump you in the ass and you'll think you just had a bad batch of taco bell.

I think I went off on a tangent.

This shouldn't be an either/or. The great thing about the prospects (Morrow, Pouliot, Maatta, Dumoulin, Despres) is they all, other than being all LHS, covered different roles. They were all pieces that fit together really well.

Maatta - Letang
Dumoulin - Despres
Pouliot - XXXXXXXX

is actually a really great defense for a really long time. And before you say 'TOO RICH; CAN'T AFFORD"

Despres is making Scuderi money. Maatta would make Martin money. Dumoulin would be making Despres money.

You're looking at a D that would make something like 25M out of a 75M cap. It's not too much, and you still have untapped potential there.

You don't have to hate Despres to feel better about the Penguins. If you like Dumoulin more, I think you're wrong, but that's okay. But you don't have to think Despres is a moron who can't skate, simply to make you feel better about that.

I have a feeling being a shy introvert is the worst thing Despres has ever done, and that makes me sad. For you guys. For judging someone based on personality... quark.

It's the same people who love Geno but hate Sid because Sid is boring robot who doesn't do pretty things.

/soap box

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think it's a bit ridiculous so many on here laugh off the idea that Dumoulin is as good. Despres had a raw deal here, but I think that's frustration with the organization talking more than Despres' actual ability.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
False. One will always have the upper-hand in his number of chins.

even if Despres goes on Jenny Craig, they will never be equal in every department. I would be mildly shocked if Dumoulin ever develops a physical streak, mean streak, or sociopathic streak similar to Despres.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I wasn't as high on Despres as a lot of people around here, but he probably has the edge on Dumoulin as he's just bigger, faster, and nastier. Dumoulin looks more composed but that's about all he has over Despres. This will be interesting a few years down the road, either could end up being better than the other.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
It's not about who is better right now or in the future - it's that Despres should still be on this team, or at least traded for someone useful.

Not Ben Lovejoy.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
The answer is Despres, but Dumoulin's emergence is a welcomed development, particularly given that a) Despres is gone :( and b) Pouliot has played like a sack of potatoes thus far this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad