Value of: Dumba and Hanifin to Pittsburgh

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
4 points is "comfortably" ??

Honestly, I don't think that the pure value going to Minny is off at all - if anything in overall value, it's an overpayment. Schultz, despite what was seen as a lack of production last season, really improved his defensive game - to the point he was only on the ice for 4 GA in the POs (at ES). In the RS it was just as impressive with one of the lowest GA/60's on the team with 2.24. Then you add in Brassard...

I get why Minny fans are not interested in the deal - two older guys on expensive contracts with minimal team control left (1 + 2 years), vs a 24 yr old cheap productive player. I get it. But on pure value, that's a win for Minny. Anyway, I don't think either team would do it. Pittsburgh would want a quality center coming back, and Minny likely wants younger/cheaper players if they're moving someone like Dumba.
Looking back I did overstate that, especially if one puts stock in "scoring pace" since Brassard missed some games. I'll dial the flamethrower down from 10 to 8.

Still, we're talking about a Big Mac, a Quarter Pounder and some chicken nuggets that fell on the floor for a rib-eye. You can compare the receipts and say that Minnesota wins on value, but I'm not sure it matters if there isn't a team in the league that makes that trade.

Reactions: 2Pair

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Honestly, I don't think that the pure value going to Minny is off at all - if anything in overall value, it's an overpayment. Schultz, despite what was seen as a lack of production last season, really improved his defensive game - to the point he was only on the ice for 4 GA in the POs (at ES). In the RS it was just as impressive with one of the lowest GA/60's on the team with 2.24. Then you add in Brassard...

I get why Minny fans are not interested in the deal - two older guys on expensive contracts with minimal team control left (1 + 2 years), vs a 24 yr old cheap productive player. I get it. But on pure value, that's a win for Minny. Anyway, I don't think either team would do it. Pittsburgh would want a quality center coming back, and Minny likely wants younger/cheaper players if they're moving someone like Dumba.
Considering one is a Dman and the other is a forward? Ya, comfortably.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

It's not even close on value

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Lol the flames are weak up the middle so they should trade Bennet who has center experience for a guy names bleugar?. You realize we have atleast 3 players on the wing this year that play center. You really think bleugar is going to help improve on Monahan, Backlund, Lindholm, Jankowski, Bennet, Derek Ryan, czarnik and others? And why tf would we trade habifin? This HAS to be a troll post.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

On pure value actually it’s not. Top pair right shot defensman that are 23 don’t grow on trees. Brassards value isn’t high enough to bridge the gap between Shultz and Dumba

cspera777

Jul 6, 2018
The first trade is Horrible for Pittsburgh. Dumba is not that much better than Shultz. The second trade is closer but still in favor of Calgary

Analsysis of Wild: pretty soft down the center. They could use an upgrade/overhaul at that position. In terms of cap space, they have $10m with just Dumba to sign so instead of one player you've had problems negotiating a long term extension kill two birds with one stone. The Wild stay roughly the same at the blue line, vastly improve down the middle with a fringe 1st/2nd line center, and get some more competition with Pedan. Who I think will be a NHL defenseman. Assumption is you sign Brassard long-term, because he's the 1st/2nd center on the roster and he fits in that style of play.

PIT trades Derick Brassard, Justin Schultz, and Andrey Pedan to MIN for Mat Dumba

Analysis for Pens: Dumba is an improvement on Schultz. This improves the top 4 with a young dynamic puck-moving defenseman that will greatly help the transition game. Brassard is trading from an area of strength. To keep the window open as long as possible, you're going to need studs on the blue line. Dumba is a bonafide stud.

Mat Dumba signs for 4 years, $22.5m

Analysis of Flames: the Flames have a tight cap with five RFAs to sign with $12.8m to do it. Two of them will come in for a pretty penny. Sam Bennett is the Lonzo Ball in the room. The Lakeshow got all these guards and he's the odd man out. Bennett is the odd man out after the Flames added a few wingers. Plus, I'm sure they'd love to remove his salary and that's the plan all along. Just $2m but it helps in signing RFA. If the Flames get the blue line right they'll be Stanley Cup contenders.

The Flames do this because the thought of adding a player of Sprong's caliber would be tantalizing to them and the idea of a Gaudreau/Monahan/Sprong top line would be too much for them to pass up. Then you come back with Tkachuk/Jankowski/Lindholm on line two. Having James Neal as a Phil Kessel on line 3. Maatta is a solid 4/5th defenseman that will play 3rd pair. The 1st would be used to get hey maybe even a Justin Schultz at the trade deadline. Then the Flames would be a Cup contender. Don't like some of the sludge down the center for the Flames. So Blueger will help in that 4th line capacity as you work on moving out Troy Brouwer and players of his ilk. Blueger had 45 pts in 70 games at the AHL level and should come in around 13 goals a season. *2019 1st can be exercised this year or next year.

PIT trades Daniel Sprong, Olli Maatta, Teddy Blueger, 2019 1st* to CGY for Noah Hanifin and Sam Bennett

The analysis for the Pens is that I actually think Sam Bennett fits in quite nicely. He's a highly skilled, gritty player. Sound familiar? He'll never be a 30 goal guy but he fills a role and the Pens need LW more than RW. Noah Hanifin fits in with the theme of getting bonafide studs on the blue line that will help the top 4 for years to come. Hanifin will help with the transition game, which is another theme of these improvements for the Pens and will quell the Murray tears that he's a bum. The guy is simply a net clogger and the longer you spend in his zone and move him at your will the less nets he will clog

Hanifin comes in at 6 years, $40.5m ($6.75m AAV)

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Teams aren't going to trade players they have just acquired so we can let that one die right now. Also the Min return is super short term so I doubt that is the deal they would be looking for.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Wild got a lot of Championships to win with that future top d pairing :laugh: I'd rather keep Schultz and Brass

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Classic trade board trolling.
Step 1. Post horrible proposal thread
Step 2. Make no other posts in said thread while others argue about how horrible it is
Step 3. Repeat

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Analysis of Flames: the Flames have a tight cap with five RFAs to sign with $12.8m to do it. Two of them will come in for a pretty penny. Sam Bennett is the Lonzo Ball in the room. The Lakeshow got all these guards and he's the odd man out. Bennett is the odd man out after the Flames added a few wingers. Plus, I'm sure they'd love to remove his salary and that's the plan all along. Just $2m but it helps in signing RFA. If the Flames get the blue line right they'll be Stanley Cup contenders.

The Flames do this because the thought of adding a player of Sprong's caliber would be tantalizing to them and the idea of a Gaudreau/Monahan/Sprong top line would be too much for them to pass up. Then you come back with Tkachuk/Jankowski/Lindholm on line two. Having James Neal as a Phil Kessel on line 3. Maatta is a solid 4/5th defenseman that will play 3rd pair. The 1st would be used to get hey maybe even a Justin Schultz at the trade deadline. Then the Flames would be a Cup contender. Don't like some of the sludge down the center for the Flames. So Blueger will help in that 4th line capacity as you work on moving out Troy Brouwer and players of his ilk. Blueger had 45 pts in 70 games at the AHL level and should come in around 13 goals a season. *2019 1st can be exercised this year or next year.

PIT trades Daniel Sprong, Olli Maatta, Teddy Blueger, 2019 1st* to CGY for Noah Hanifin and Sam Bennett

The analysis for the Pens is that I actually think Sam Bennett fits in quite nicely. He's a highly skilled, gritty player. Sound familiar? He'll never be a 30 goal guy but he fills a role and the Pens need LW more than RW. Noah Hanifin fits in with the theme of getting bonafide studs on the blue line that will help the top 4 for years to come. Hanifin will help with the transition game, which is another theme of these improvements for the Pens and will quell the Murray tears that he's a bum. The guy is simply a net clogger and the longer you spend in his zone and move him at your will the less nets he will clog

Hanifin comes in at 6 years, $40.5m ($6.75m AAV)

LOL Sprong's calibre? He's played 26 NHL games, and now he's a surefire top liner? A better option than Neal?

Blueger is turning 24 and has yet to play an NHL game...he' a bust.

Maatta did not live up to expecatations, and is a huge downgrade from Hanifin. Hanifin is very good and young. He could very well develop into a top pairing guy, and maybe even Calgary future #1.

Bennett for the 1st is probably fair value, but Calgary would rather hang onto Bennett, as they want to compete now, and don't gain much from a late 1st.

So the answer is no. You're not getting Hanifin for your grab bag of mediocrity.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Overpayment, eh? I know Pittsburgh fans have really been into their trading 30+ year old for other team's high end young players. Really wish it would stop. Dumba is leagues better than Schultz. Brassard is a 1 year rental. Overpayment :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad