Duclair

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Does Duclair and our 1st touch Duchene?

Value wise maybe. I'm sure Avs fans would protest but Duchene only has 2 years left and our first is going to be pretty awesome. But that's also why I wouldn't do it. 2 years of a middle to low end #1C for a top pick, Duclair, and a shot at Patrick? No sale.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Duclair doesn't have attitude problems, he did have a Roy problem though.

With the emergence of Chychrun, DeAngelo and Wood I don't see us really being in the market for another dman unless one of those 3 is one of the key pieces. Before Chayka, Maloney or "sources within the team" were always saying we wanted dmen. Now Chayka is saying C. I don't really think we have any positional deficiencies right now.

I can't think of any C that would be available that fits our criteria. Only player I think would sort of make sense in a deal is Nylander. Both teams could want a change of scenery for the players, both RW. Nylander could play C too. Doubt it happens tho.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I wonder if we could have an interest in Boone Jenner; he is struggling mightily after a 30 goals season. Good size, good FO% percentage, RFA

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
RNH maybe? Though he's struggling badly this year. Points per game is at a career-low of 0.40. Could be a function of minutes, but I don't think so.

As for Duchene, I suppose you could lotto protect the pick, but that makes it a lot less appealing. Maybe add another asset in exchange for that protection (i.e, one of our young D).

The 2017 draft isn't too inspiring to me. It'd be great to pick 1OV but we have to start moving up the ladder here at some point. Can't run Patrick, Strome, Dvo down the middle next year. Long story short: We need a young C that is older than Strome and Dvo to carry the load until they're ready. Hanzal can't do it because he's not a young C, he's broken, and he can't crack 40 points.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
The 2017 draft isn't too inspiring to me. It'd be great to pick 1OV but we have to start moving up the ladder here at some point. Can't run Patrick, Strome, Dvo down the middle next year. Long story short: We need a young C that is older than Strome and Dvo to carry the load until they're ready. Hanzal can't do it because he's not a young C, he's broken, and he can't crack 40 points.

I agree, and I would not be surprised if Chayka is agressive with our 2017 first rounder. No real franchise prospect around as far as we can see, so perhaps trading the pick might help us fast track our forward pool whilst keeping an OEL interested in the process

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Nolan Patrick is fine by me.

I agree. I would rather add one more good prospect and keep what we have. Duclair will come around eventually. Plus in a year where we have to expose players to the expansion draft, it makes sense to build the farm system first and plan for a big "coming out" after that is out of the way especially since we are no threat for the cup anyway.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I agree, and I would not be surprised if Chayka is agressive with our 2017 first rounder. No real franchise prospect around as far as we can see, so perhaps trading the pick might help us fast track our forward pool whilst keeping an OEL interested in the process

Nico Hischier is looking like that.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Well I guess we know who is really calling the shot then, and it's not Chayka. I wonder if every time DT looks Strome in the eyes he sees a lack of Dougie Hamilton.

I think everyone believes it's Tippett running the show. Nobody here thinks otherwise do they?

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
He was fun to watch tonight, but I was frustrated by his lack of ice-time. He seems a little weak in his own end, but is quick and strong on his skates and he glides around nicely.

He's very focused. Kinda small, though.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Only motivational tool a coach has is ice time. Duclair has had some bad games and has deserved his reduction of ice time. Hell hes deserved to ride the pine or a healthy scratch at this point. I don't believe that tactic is unreasonable to be honest.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I wonder if every time DT looks Strome in the eyes he sees a lack of Dougie Hamilton.
Do we really think this? Wouldn't a lot of decisions have been made differently in the interim if we had Hamilton instead of Strome?

Off the top of my head:
Buy out Michalek instead of Vermette.
Sign another UFA center this summer.
Don't sign Schenn.
Draft Borgstrom or Jones or Thompson or Howden with the 20OA instead of Chychrun.
Keep the 2016 53OA because we don't need to trade up for Chychrun, so also get Wade Allison or Will Lockwood or Cliff Pu or one of those middle tier forwards.
Does Murphy get that contract if Hamilton is here?
Do we sign Goligoski?
Do we trade for DeAngelo?

Stone's 1-year "prove it" contract and drafting Keller seem like the only things that certainly don't change ... anything else might. Even the guys we drafted behind Strome -- Warren, Fischer, Merkley, Garland, Looke -- are all wingers, so without Strome there we're probably passing on at least 3 of them to take centers instead. Probably don't trade away Max Letunov either.

At some point, the un-do button becomes so messy and hard to press that it's not really a meaningful discussion anymore. Or at least there are too many variables to really wrap our heads around. At this point, even if an offer of Hamilton for Duclair + 2017 1st or whatever was on the table, it's not the same world as it was June 2015.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nolan Patrick is fine by me.

I agree. I would rather add one more good prospect and keep what we have. Duclair will come around eventually. Plus in a year where we have to expose players to the expansion draft, it makes sense to build the farm system first and plan for a big "coming out" after that is out of the way especially since we are no threat for the cup anyway.

I would love Patrick. If we pick to ten, there is no way I trade that pick.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Only motivational tool a coach has is ice time. Duclair has had some bad games and has deserved his reduction of ice time. Hell hes deserved to ride the pine or a healthy scratch at this point. I don't believe that tactic is unreasonable to be honest.

I agree. I think it was you who mentioned that Duclair is feeling sorry for himself and I couldn't agree more.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It must be awkward for Treliving to work with Brian Burke. In high school I had this buddy named Mike. He was extremely quick to the punch, very, very protective of his tribe and a terrible fighter. I got in a very mild confrontation in the hallway at school with a much bigger, older kid. The match-up was so disparate that there was almost no chance either of us were going to take it any further. It would've been absurd for both of us. Out of nowhere, in flies Mike. I had no idea he was behind me when he came flying in from my blind spot and sucker punches this guy. Mike was significantly smaller than me. So it REALLY didn't go his way. We both got our ***** handed to us by one guy. So we're beat up, embarrassed and sitting in the principals office about to talk to the school cop and find out how long we'll be suspended, and Mike looks at me and I look at Mike and I can tell he's very proud he had my back and that we stuck together. Meanwhile I'm just pissed at him because I wanted no part of any of it. I feel like I know how Treliving feels.

Not so fun FYI - Mike eventually went to prison for manslaughter.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
It must be awkward for Treliving to work with Brian Burke. In high school I had this buddy named Mike. He was extremely quick to the punch, very, very protective of his tribe and a terrible fighter. I got in a very mild confrontation in the hallway at school with a much bigger, older kid. The match-up was so disparate that there was almost no chance either of us were going to take it any further. It would've been absurd for both of us. Out of nowhere, in flies Mike. I had no idea he was behind me when he came flying in from my blind spot and sucker punches this guy. Mike was significantly smaller than me. So it REALLY didn't go his way. We both got our ***** handed to us by one guy. So we're beat up, embarrassed and sitting in the principals office about to talk to the school cop and find out how long we'll be suspended, and Mike looks at me and I look at Mike and I can tell he's very proud he had my back and that we stuck together. Meanwhile I'm just pissed at him because I wanted no part of any of it. I feel like I know how Treliving feels.

Post of 2016. :handclap:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Whoa! What a story.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
We're not trading our 2017 1st until it's clear where we're picking. Draft day/week-type deal.

Duke needs to sit for a couple games as Murphy did last year or visit Tucson for 1-2 weeks. Selling very low on a highly talented player is something TippChayka won't do.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
We're not trading our 2017 1st until it's clear where we're picking. Draft day/week-type deal.

Duke needs to sit for a couple games as Murphy did last year or visit Tucson for 1-2 weeks. Selling very low on a highly talented player is something TippChayka won't do.
No healthy scratch forwards in Glendale right now ... so Perlini or Fischer to replace him?

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
No healthy scratch forwards in Glendale right now ... so Perlini or Fischer to replace him?
Minor trade? Maybe McGinn moved to RW and Perlini recalled or just bring up Fischer...waive Connauton.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Or recall Gaudet, as they just did, because he provides the shake-up needed.:banghead:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Sophomore slump and he'll come around but I don't think he'll live up to his true potential under Tippett.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad