GDT: Ducks vs Avs split squad games (6PM away/7PM home PT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks Ahoy

Effort = overrated
Jun 9, 2013
Orange County
Sorry for the double post

How was the top line's work in the defensive zone last night? I know they more than likely weren't going 100% but I'm curious.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Sorry for the double post

How was the top line's work in the defensive zone last night? I know they more than likely weren't going 100% but I'm curious.

Getzlaf just kept taking the puck from all the young avs seemed like everytime he was near the puck he would take it away

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I didnt go to the game tonight or listen, but I disagree that Kerdiles doesn't have a lot of skill. Above average for sure based on what I saw in the futures game.

You certainly can't put up numbers at a young age like Kerdiles did at the college level if you don't have a lot of skill.

Personally, I think he could be a very good fit with the twins as early as the middle of this season once Heatley has flamed out and if the other claimants to that position don't get it done. He just seems like the right mix of size, hard work and hands to compliment the twins.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
About Kesler not playing, it's a pretty common practice to dress veteran players and not play them in split squad games, if I recall it's something to do with a minimum number of veteran NHL players per pre-season game.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I am very sure, actually would bet that Kesler has a deep bruise from that Allen hit. It was brutal. If it was regular season he would have probably played but theres no reason to play a pre season game when theres many more coming up.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I am very sure, actually would bet that Kesler has a deep bruise from that Allen hit. It was brutal. If it was regular season he would have probably played but theres no reason to play a pre season game when theres many more coming up.

That's pure speculation. It's much more likely what pesko said is the case, we essentially dressed an AHL team in Colorado just as they did in Anaheim.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
That's pure speculation. It's much more likely what pesko said is the case, we essentially dressed an AHL team in Colorado just as they did in Anaheim.

It is pure speculation, I saw the hit in person, it was v bad. Not only did they hit knee to knee but Kesler flew in the air flipping and landed hard. 100% speculation though just think its fishy.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
As far as I'm concerned, we won 9-2 last night, and are owed wings that I'm never actually going to go collect on.

:laugh: My girlfriend was asking if they scored 5 goals would we get free wings, my response is its preseason against beer leaguers.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
PS
Devo looks focused on MacKinnon :laugh:
10_slide.jpg

He looks like "are they talking about me" :D

Nice to see Heatley scoring one for the fresh start and confidence.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
When Boudreau was asked about the skillset of young Swedish center William Karlsson, he compared him to a fellow Swede who he used to coach. “I don’t want to give this comparison to give him too much credit,” he said. But if you watch him play, and if you’ve seen Nick Backstrom play, they skate the same, they have the same hair and they have the same mannerisms. If he could ever become a player like that, then that would be pretty special.”

Karlsson shined in the two Futures Games vs. San Jose earlier this month, leading the team with four points (2g/2a). Last night, Karlsson earned an assist on Patrick Maroon’s goal in the third period of Anaheim's 5-2 victory at Pepsi Center.

He agrees with us

DaDucks*

Ya.. I liked what Heatley was doing when he had the puck, and he definitely can still shoot. It looked like his goal was a rebound/off a broken play and he Finished it off... I think Heatley can finally be the guy that finishes off the work Perry and Getz create. On a negative side, I did see Getz and Perry lead Heatley with a couple short passes in the offensive zone and heater was easily beaten by the defender position wise and Danny could only counter with trying to tie up the defenders stick to regain possession.

DaDucks*

its really unfortunate that I have to hold back my excitement from what I saw from Thompson, do to the fact he was playing against minor leaguers... I really hope he plays against the Kings Thursday. He could be running away with the 3rd line center position.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Gagne was impressive every time I saw him and I went to ever practice and training camp as well as games.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Maybe he has a chance at carving out a career in the mold of a poor mans Visnovsky. From what little I've seen of him he's very shifty and good with the puck.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
If memory serves, Gagne was also very impressive last camp. He may be an injury call-up, but I don't see how he can make the team out of camp. He would be competing directly with Vatanen, at this point, and it's Sami's spot to lose.

Edit: I guess my memory didn't fail me. This was from last year.

DSP was a little wrecking ball today. Hit everything that moved.

Gagne looked good, too. Very mobile. Made good plays, and jumped in offensively. Played feisty, too. Was cool to see from such a small guy.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
If memory serves, Gagne was also very impressive last camp. He may be an injury call-up, but I don't see how he can make the team out of camp. He would be competing directly with Vatanen, at this point, and it's Sami's spot to lose.

I don't see a ton of upside for Gagne. His skill set is pretty limited, it's just that the skills he has are quite flashy: his skating and passing. He also has an absolute bomb of a shot but it's a slow trigger and inaccurate. He's also very small and doesn't win too many battles. He either escapes with the puck using his speed, or he loses.

My guess about his career is that he could be John Slaney if everything breaks just right for him.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I don't see a ton of upside for Gagne. His skill set is pretty limited, it's just that the skills he has are quite flashy: his skating and passing. He also has an absolute bomb of a shot but it's a slow trigger and inaccurate. He's also very small and doesn't win too many battles. He either escapes with the puck using his speed, or he loses.

My guess about his career is that he could be John Slaney if everything breaks just right for him.

He's still only 22, but overall I don't disagree with you. When you're that small(whether as a forward or a defenseman) you basically need to be that much more talented. It's also important to remember that training camp and pre season play isn't the NHL. I didn't get to see him play in the AHL last season, so I have no idea if he was any good, but looking at his stats they really aren't very flatteri at a glance.

Training camp is a good opportunity for him to show his stuff, since it just isn't as crisp, defense is a little sloppier, and the physical play is turned down a notch(or two). It's probably an ideal environment for a guy like Gagne. I remembered him standing out last year, and look what that got him. I think I just like the underdog thing he has going, but is there really any question Sami is both better, and possessing higher upside? Not to me.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
He was good for the AHL. I'm just not sure that he has what it takes to get over the hurdles in front of him to have any sort of impact at the top flight.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
It is pure speculation, I saw the hit in person, it was v bad. Not only did they hit knee to knee but Kesler flew in the air flipping and landed hard. 100% speculation though just think its fishy.

BB is on record in the post game interview that Kesler is fine. Kesler gave him a number of games that he needed to round into form and so he sat the game. On top of that they have another game tonight. That would be a lot of hockey in 5 days for any player. My guess is this had more to do with seeing what some of the young guys had and saving enough vets for tonights game. It also allows Kesler to make his Ducks game premier in Anaheim rather than on the road. Let our fans see him first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad