GDT: Ducks visit Penguins 7 PM ET on 10 - 10 - 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I don't feel bad about this game. They played fine. They didn't get the calls or the bounces. We're gonna struggle to score goals at times, we as fans overrate a lot of our offensive talent. They had Sydney Crosby and we didn't. I think he went 21-for-20 on faceoffs somehow.

Manson was obviously awful.

Getzlaf was a turnover machine, and the worst of our four centers for at least the second game of the first four. There was one shift where he mysteriously just stopped at the blue line and we played the offensive possession in some kind of weird 3-defensman formation. He wants to hit hero passes, but if you're no threat to skate, NHL teams won't give you passing lanes.

Still love me some Guhle.

Gibson is still the best goalie in the league and it's not particularly close.

I'm ready to give someone else a few games audition now that Jones has had his. All motor, nothing else.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
the signs are there....this team is going to lose a lot of games....only putting 1 goal in on a brutal pens team and murray looked really shaky...

jones should draw out, would rather see sherwood in...like to see some different line combos too.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Fowler has really been helped by the coaching change. Kase and Ritchie need to stay together, as they complement each other. Guhle has exciting skills. I don't know what they deal is with Manson. Need to leave Shore with Rowney and Grant and find a shooter for Getzlaf's wing. This was one of the better games Lundestrom has had. Was noticeable in the offensive end.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Getzbald did absolutely nothing today. Drop him to the 4th line and let him play with scrubs

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I’m actually pleasantly surprised at how dangerous our D has been offensively. Fowler made a great pass down low late in the period to somebody (forgot who it was) but they couldn’t slide it home. We will need to start finishing those opportunities. Hope Steel returns soon

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I didn’t see or hear the game. But these kind of games are just part of the process of a new coach, a new system, and some new young players. There will be more bumps in the road and a boatload of WTF moments. But it’s moving in the right direction and I couldn’t be happier with the new, fresh start.
Truly. It wasn't a great game for us, but we did outshoot them in the 2nd and 3rd and overall. No bad considering we spent more than half a period in the box. We were disjointed and disorganized offensively, but it's hard to get a rhythm going when your killing so many penalties. Not an excuse, but there it is.

Fowler and Guhle played pretty well I thought. We need to see more MDZ. Yes, Lindy and Manson both struggled tonight, but cut 'em some slack. I too would like to see Guhle on the PP; I agree, best point shot we have.

But we had NO chemistry among forwards tonight, and the trips to the bin don't explain all of it. Lundestrom is solid, but we need Steel in that slot; he's just so much more creative, and makes that line better. Getzlaf had a bad night, but he can't seem to find chemistry with anyone. I think we should put Shore back with Grant and Rowney, and put Ritchie with Getz and Kase, and leave that together for a while. Jones has been more than useless; fumbles pucks in critical areas, never in the right place. It's time to give Comtois a shot at that job with Rico and Terry. In my view. MC already has some chemistry with Terry, and they will make Rico better, too.

I don't see the underpinnings of another disaster; I see the rough edges of a fresh start.

Reactions: branmuffin17

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Lundestrom wasn't terrible but he wasn't exactly useful. He had a tendency to pass it to teammates in ways that gave them no chance to keep the puck, leading them right into defenders.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Truly. It wasn't a great game for us, but we did outshoot them in the 2nd and 3rd and overall. No bad considering we spent more than half a period in the box. We were disjointed and disorganized offensively, but it's hard to get a rhythm going when your killing so many penalties. Not an excuse, but there it is.

Fowler and Guhle played pretty well I thought. We need to see more MDZ. Yes, Lindy and Manson both struggled tonight, but cut 'em some slack. I too would like to see Guhle on the PP; I agree, best point shot we have.

But we had NO chemistry among forwards tonight, and the trips to the bin don't explain all of it. Lundestrom is solid, but we need Steel in that slot; he's just so much more creative, and makes that line better. Getzlaf had a bad night, but he can't seem to find chemistry with anyone. I think we should put Shore back with Grant and Rowney, and put Ritchie with Getz and Kase, and leave that together for a while. Jones has been more than useless; fumbles pucks in critical areas, never in the right place. It's time to give Comtois a shot at that job with Rico and Terry. In my view. MC already has some chemistry with Terry, and they will make Rico better, too.

I don't see the underpinnings of another disaster; I see the rough edges of a fresh start.

Getzbald needs to be paired with vets. Silfurberg and rakell. That was a good line

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Getzbald needs to be paired with vets. Silfurberg and rakell. That was a good line
PunkyGranite.png

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Manson has really sucked this year. As has Jones.

We have absolutely no one timing threat on the PP on either unit, some of those Rakell halfwall one timers were absolutely pathetic. Getzlaf needs to figure it out and stop trying to hold the puck so long. Maybe we need to put him on the left half wall and tell him he’s there to one time the puck and only one time the puck like Weber/Ovi as he would be more effective being a one trick pony doing that than trying to slow the game down all the time.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Only saw the condensed game which seemed more like Penguins/Gibson highlights. In that regard I was surprised to see high danger chances going 10 - 4 in favour of the Ducks.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I’m actually pleasantly surprised at how dangerous our D has been offensively. Fowler made a great pass down low late in the period to somebody (forgot who it was) but they couldn’t slide it home. We will need to start finishing those opportunities. Hope Steel returns soon
A necessary change, given how punchless our forward group is. I'm glad Eakins is trying to squeeze some offense out of them.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

wraparound

May 17, 2014
another season of the PP sucking

wish they'd bring in a good PP coach for once
Four games in. Drink some chamomile tea and get some fresh air. It’s far too early to make “this season” statements when evaluating the team’s performance. Sure, the deployment of PP units & their composition is worthy of scrutiny but the fact remains the Ducks have only played *FOUR* regular season games so far. There will be personnel & strategy adjustments until they convert. Eakins’ decision to go with the PP unit he did on the Ducks’ final man-advantage was suspect. They couldn’t set up or create chances for 75% of the PP.

I agree that the Ducks need to add a finisher &/or a defenseman who can put heavy shots through traffic onto the net. Hopefully Sprong puts it together in San Diego because he is arguably the best theoretical one-timer option from the Ovi spot in the left circle. Getzlaf needs to park his ass in front of the net, not play the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad