Rumor: Ducks trying to unload a contract in order to re-sign Rakell/Lindholm

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
And had Colorado not matched, that OS would have gone down as one of the stupidest moves of all time. That isn't news.

Considering the NHL has said that if Colorado didn't match ROR would need to clear waivers (and surely be claimed) while CGY lost the compensatory draft picks, I think we can safely say it is already one of the dumbest moves of all time, regardless of being matched or not.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
It's dumb because not only are you overpaying( by more than a mil I'm sure), but you aren't even buying up UFA years to offset that.

Yeah, but you are buying Lindholm, who currently is Ducks' property. There has tone some value in that?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
The OS compensation is calculated based off of the annual average of the contract, or the amount of the contract divided by 5 assuming the years offered is greater than 5. In that case, the average would be 9.3/year which should be greater compensation than two 1sts ++

It amazes me how often this needs to be said.

46.5 / 5 is 9.3M. Just under the 4 1sts compensation of above 9,388,080. Compensation for a 7y 46.5M deal would be 2 1sts a 2nd and a 3rd. I'd give up that for Lindholm easy.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Why is the 7X5 dumb? It's about a 1M over pay... not that big of a deal... For the Kings for example that would result in swapping King for Mersch to make up that difference. Some fans have been pushing for this anyways. Also if a team has about a 5 year window they're taking a shot at the cup at it could work just fine.

6X6 is probably around where the Ducks are trying to get, but they would have 1 week to move everything in time to get it done. Rushing trades hurts value.

7x5 is dumb because it sets a salary precedent. Just look at what Ekblads deal is doing to Lindholm negotiations. GMs aren't generally in the business of making their own lives harder. That is a dangerous escalation. especially for a 30 point all around D. While I love Lindholm he isn't worth 7 mill by any stretch of the imagination and overpaying him is telling the market that is what he is worth. He would be making firmly top 10 money among D. He just isn't that. He couldn't even get into the top 6 for his national team. He is a good player with plenty of potential to be great. His advanced stats have made him into some sort of deity among D on these boards and I just don't think it is fully justified.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Yeah, but you are buying Lindholm, who currently is Ducks' property. There has tone some value in that?

Exactly. You're improving your team, while making the Ducks worse and to make up the cash you have to move a veteran depth guy off the 3rd/4th line and replace them with a call up from the AHL.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Just to clear up any lingering misconceptions, we effectively have no internal cap this season because of the ****-hole BM's landed us in with everyone's contracts.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Boston lost 2 d men already and their season hasn't even started yet they might have to step up with an offer for Fowler

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
7x5 is dumb because it sets a salary precedent. Just look at what Ekblads deal is doing to Lindholm negotiations. GMs aren't generally in the business of making their own lives harder. That is a dangerous escalation. especially for a 30 point all around D. While I love Lindholm he isn't worth 7 mill by any stretch of the imagination and overpaying him is telling the market that is what he is worth. He would be making firmly top 10 money among D. He just isn't that. He couldn't even get into the top 6 for his national team. He is a good player with plenty of potential to be great. His advanced stats have made him into some sort of deity among D on these boards and I just don't think it is fully justified.

Lindholm is overrated hard on these boards. He wasn't even Anaheims #1 last year, and we all know how much HF values fowler.

He's a very good young defensemen, but people are talking about making him a top 10. Unless his offensive game takes a huge step, he'll likely never be a top 10 defensemen. It's like HF boards thinks lindholm is the next doughty or something.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
How much would Ducks fans be willing to add into a Stoner for Hunwick@50% swap.
That's
~2.65m in space freed up this year
3.25 next year

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Boston lost 2 d men already and their season hasn't even started yet they might have to step up with an offer for Fowler

Carlo was out playing both Kevan Miller and McQuaid and it was looking like McQuaid was headed towards the press box anyway. They are both day to day. I think Krug can handle carrying a rookie for a few games.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
We don't need any more D, period.

So? you need capspace. Your 1D and a top 6 forward are sitting out due to cap problems. If having to take on a near league min contract (below market value for the contribution) is the deal breaker on clearing 2.5+ million dollars your priorities are way out of wack.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
So? you need capspace. Your 1D and a top 6 forward are sitting out due to cap problems. If having to take on a near league min contract (below market value for the contribution) is the deal breaker on clearing 2.5+ million dollars your priorities are way out of wack.

OK, fine. Let's talk cap space. We aren't taking back any salary if we're paying a premium to dump Stoner.

SubbanForsberg

Jul 22, 2016
To :habs

Cam Fowler
4th Round Pick 2017

To :ducks

1st Round Pick 2017
2nd Round Pick 2018
Nikita Scherbak or Sven Andrighetto or Charles Hudon

Ducks shed salary and Habs gets a puck mover

Status
Not open for further replies.