Ducks Sold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Accord said:
They have something like a 20 year lease with the city of Anaheim and the terms of the lease is they are required to have Anaheim in the teams name.
as in 20 years left? or......?
Just curious. :teach:

NewBreed19

Coyotes fan: I'am happy to here the news of the sale of Anahiem and that they will stay put. I just proves that all the talk of contraction or re-location is all speculation in the media. Nobody really Knows which frachises will fold or contract , if any.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
Here is the LA TIMES Article.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-02...y?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

Samueli and his wife, Susan, purchased the team for more than $75 million, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. The deal includes Disney Ice, the Ducks' training facility in Anaheim. The NHL's board of governors must approve the deal.

In buying the team, Samueli fortifies the Arrowhead Pond, which is operated by his management company. The Ducks' lease with the arena allowed Disney to share in, and in some cases monopolize, revenue streams from non-hockey events.

By owning the Ducks, Samueli will now be able to pocket profits, provided the Ducks make money once play resumes after the current labor strife.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NHL should approve the sale since 75 million is reasonable considering were in a lockout. If it was 50 million maybe they wouldn't have.

Samueli now has full control of everything going on with the Arrowhead Pond, so this is great news for Ducks fans as the team will stay in Anaheim for a long time!!!

Disney Ice is a business with skating programs, ice rentals, tournaments, etc. It has two rinks. One NHL size and one Olympic size. They did some fancy architecture building it (as you can imagine Disney not doing it on the cheap). One "normal" indoor rink costs very roughly $5 mil to build. Built to Disney's standards in 1995 (not old), the two rinks, the business, the property probably gives you much of the $15 mil difference in the two news reports.

To bring a guy with deep pockets in like Samueli into the NHL ownership club is probably worth looking the other way if he bought it on the cheap.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
McDonald19 said:
Here is the LA TIMES Article.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-02...y?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

Samueli and his wife, Susan, purchased the team for more than $75 million, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. The deal includes Disney Ice, the Ducks' training facility in Anaheim.

So they got more than just the team for $75 million. The practice facility obviously is worth a hefty chunk I'd imagine, so really the two reports aren't that different. One can be talking about the team only, and the other for team and building.

Hussar

Talented.
Mar 30, 2004
Paradise
me2 said:
"Ducks" is OK. Lets do a quick whip around.

So Ducks get beat up by Panthers, Hurricanes, Canucks, Habs, Senators, Kings, Flames, Rangers, Tyres with Wings, Coyotes, Oilers, Lightning, Bruins.

A Duck could beat up a Thrashers or a Maple Leaf.

WTF is Wild? Ducks are 50-50 in the Wild. Flyers?? Stars, never seen a Duck killed by a star yet so we'll call that even.

So a duck struggles against most of those other logos in real life but at least they can beat a couple of the wimpier logos.

:lol: now THAT is the post of the year!! :yo:

Scarlet Jaspar

Good for Anaheim. I grew bit of a fondness for them when they beat my least favourite team, the Red Wings, in the first round a few years back. At least it should(though probably won't) cool off the "contraction" and "move them to Winnipeg" talk.

So Ducks get beat up by Panthers, Hurricanes, Canucks, Habs, Senators, Kings, Flames, Rangers, Tyres with Wings, Coyotes, Oilers, Lightning, Bruins.

It depends on the duck though. If it was the duck in the Oregon University logo, I think it could take a few of those. That duck looked pretty hardcore.

Also, I wish a team would bring back the old Millionaires nickname. It just seems like a fitting nickname for modern sports players.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Say they do go the route of a new nickname. Lets hear some (legitimate) ideas.

Anaheim Ducks (nothing wrong with that really, unless you're looking for a complete image change)
Anaheim Eagles (Bald Eagle is native to California I do believe)

Not very original, but it's a lot harder than you might imagine to come up with something different, but yet doesn't sound ridiculous. I dunno, I'm terrible at it, but I bet there are some good ideas out there.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Jason MacIsaac said:
Anaheim Americans......who cares about Rochester.
Love it! :yo:
Like the Eagles too!
It would only make sence to change everything to boost jersey sales and all that $tuff!

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Keetz said:
Love it! :yo:
Like the Eagles too!
It would only make sence to change everything to boost jersey sales and all that $tuff!
You could allways make a Mighty Ducks 4 movie.....they are all 50 years old in a senior league.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
kenabnrmal said:
Not very original, but it's a lot harder than you might imagine to come up with something different, but yet doesn't sound ridiculous.

Same goes for logos. Even the classics, if they weren't classics, would probably be considered lame or silly if they were coming out right now. I mean, a "B" with spokes? That must have taken a whole team of graphic designers, eh? And why the heck do you need wheels if you already have wings?

Best way to go, IMO, would be to do something like the German league soccer team Fortuna Dusseldorf did ... get a local punk band (Die Toten Hosen) to sponsor you, and put their logo on your jersey:

http://www.fortuna-duesseldorf.de/shop/product_image.php?imageid=41

Wetcoaster

Kevin Forbes said:
Anyway, it assures that NHL hockey will remain in Anaheim for the forseeable future, which is a relief for many a Ducks fans. Also, all the Anaheim haters will need to think up new material.

Edit: As can be seen from the post above mine, the preliminary attempts at making fun of the Ducks so far are rather weak at best.
Maybe a better writer should take a "quack" at it????

Wetcoaster

cleduc said:
Really. On Nov 29th, half way into the lockout with dire predictions from years before on how bad it was going to be, Forbes valued the Ducks at $108 million. They got about fifty cents on the Forbes dollar with this transaction.

Mike Ozanian of Forbes has been annointed the Larry Brooks/Al Strachan of financial reporters. Sadly, I'm sure many players bought in and have been misled as have many others. In my view, it is grossly irresponsible reporting and has been long before Nov 29th/04 when he wrote his article taking on Levitt without reviewing the teams' books.
Given the scorched earth policy by Bettman, why is a drop in franchise value surprising?

I assume that many of the teams will take a hit on franchise values before all is said and done.

Wetcoaster

mmbt said:
Same goes for logos. Even the classics, if they weren't classics, would probably be considered lame or silly if they were coming out right now. I mean, a "B" with spokes? That must have taken a whole team of graphic designers, eh? And why the heck do you need wheels if you already have wings?

Best way to go, IMO, would be to do something like the German league soccer team Fortuna Dusseldorf did ... get a local punk band (Die Toten Hosen) to sponsor you, and put their logo on your jersey:

http://www.fortuna-duesseldorf.de/shop/product_image.php?imageid=41
The Detroit winged wheel was lifted by Norris when he became owner from the logo of an amateur Montreal cycling club to which he belonged according to the history of the Red Wings (nee Cougars as they bought the roster from Victoria of the PCHA and then Falcons).

How about the Anaheim Orange? They can call the arena The Grove or The Orchard.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Wetcoaster said:
Given the scorched earth policy by Bettman, why is a drop in franchise value surprising?

Nice try. It's the players with the scorched earth policy, with their refusal to let the owners implement the changes needed to fix the game.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Jason MacIsaac said:
You could allways make a Mighty Ducks 4 movie.....they are all 50 years old in a senior league.
My freind believe it or not Mighty Ducks 4 is in post production as we speak :eek:

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:

I assume that many of the teams will take a hit on franchise values before all is said and done.

I think one could easily debate who is scorching the earth with a vast majority pointing the finger towards the suicidal PA in this dispute.

Forbes lowered the valuations again Feb 17th after the cancellation of the season. But when you consider that the NHL was well into this "scorched earth" situation as of November 29th, when Forbes pinned the $108 Ducks valuation up with the other clubs for everyone to see. And when you consider that this Armageddon had been forecast for years. And when you consider that Forbes did this so that Forbes could try to tout how financially great NHL ownership really was last November, Forbes credibility sinks badly.

The average NHL franchise valuation fell $23 million between November 29th and just after the cancellation of the season - according to Forbes. That is very likely a worst case for the Ducks because if you did percentage of valuation (a better approximation), the Ducks would fall less numerically. As the Ducks are near the bottom of the NHL valuation totem pole, there wasn’t a lot further one could justify putting them down. But the sale of the Ducks fell about $50 million short of the Nov 29th Forbes valuation and about $30 million short of the Feb 17th/05 Forbes valuation. Ridiculously off by 35% such that we can’t take their advice of November at all seriously.

If you look at several other recent NHL transactions, you see the same pattern. Forbes are off by about 38%. It just goes to show you how wrong one can be when they pull numbers "out of the air" rather than looking at a company's books.

With all due respect, Forbes is out to lunch and has been for some time in this area. It might sell magazines but it turns out to be about as reliable and accurate as an Al Strachan rumour.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Anaheim Foxes? Hedgehogs?

Just animals I like, hah.. Though really just take the ridiculous Mighty off the name and you have one as good as any other idea could be.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Keetz said:
My freind believe it or not Mighty Ducks 4 is in post production as we speak :eek:

careful with your movie terminlogy
the status of the movie is announced, which means it might go through, might not
I would say that the sale of the team might point to it not going through
post production means the movie has already been filmed and it is being edited and prepared for release

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:

One other point:

Forbes stated for 2003-4, the Ducks had revenues of $54 milliom and lost $22.4 million with a payroll of $53.3 million (USA Today - not perfectly accurate but close enough). Forbes lowered the Ducks franchise valuation by 3% for that financial performance - bleeding like a stick pig.

With no hockey, payroll this year goes to zero. Let's guess that their revenues fell 90% (it wouldn't be 100% - minor hockey franchise fees, a little merchandise, etc). Their expenses would also drop substantially - no hockey sticks, layoffs, medical, insurance, travel, security staff for games, etc. As their payroll offsets zero revenue, some revenue (~10%) plus reduced expenses means they're significantly better off financially not playing hockey. They're are definitely losing much less money than last year.

Can you really justify droping their valuation 50% on the improved fiscal performance this year when you only dropped it 3% on a disaster ? Yes, the season has been cancelled but they're hurting much less and addressing the cause of loss. It is not all bad news. You can't justify hammering them for 50% when the rest of the league got dropped 14% in the same circumstances.

Forbes numbers don't stand up under light scrutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad