Ducks Sold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Disney agrees to sell Mighty Ducks

Associated Press
2/25/2005

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) - The Walt Disney Co. agreed to sell the Anaheim Mighty Ducks to billionaire Henry Samueli and his wife Susan.

The deal, announced Friday by Samueli, is subject to approval by the NHL. Samueli's company operates Arrowhead Pond, where the Mighty Ducks play.

''The Mighty Ducks have become a wonderful asset to this community, with a terrific following, a history of winning and a strong nucleus of outstanding young prospects and talented veterans,'' Samueli said. ''Our acquisition of the team assures that the Mighty Ducks will remain in the hands of local ownership committed to keeping the team in Orange County and putting a consistent winner on the ice.''

Disney paid $50 million US for the Ducks to join the NHL as an expansion franchise in 1992. Samueli's offer reportedly was in the $50 to $60 million range.

Although the Ducks were Western Conference champions and went to the Stanley Cup final during the 2002-2003 season, Disney has had them on the market for years.

''We are confident that Henry and Susan Samueli will bring continued success to the Ducks and we will remain among the biggest fans of the team going forward,'' Disney chief executive Michael Eisner said.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sweet. He has money. Money is good.

This almost assures that ESPN will not bring back the NHL. Time for Gary to get moving on finding a cable tv deal.

Pepper, got a link for that?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Anaheim Ducks works for me....It's like Pittsburgh Penguins...

monkey_00*

Riddarn said:
To do list.

1. Change name

Sounds like a great idea...........new name and new jerseys too..........and maybe instead of referring to them as Anaheim might be better to call them "California"...........California something.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
PecaFan said:
Bought the team for $50 million, lost god knows how much cash over the last 10 years (probably $100+ million), and barely got their purchase price back.

First few years (through about '97-98) they were making money hand over fist. Sellouts every night, merchandising was among the highest in sports ... but after the Ron Wilson firing and the Kariya holdout things got ugly in a hurry, and they haven't been able to get the goodwill back.

RedSoxNation

Jan 31, 2005
PecaFan said:
Bought the team for $50 million, lost god knows how much cash over the last 10 years (probably $100+ million), and barely got their purchase price back.

didn't they pay the guy that used to own the Kings a fee for moving into that territory

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
monkey_00 said:
...instead of referring to them as Anaheim might be better to call them "California"...........California something.

... Golden Seals.... No need to pay anyone do design a new logo. ;)

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
shadoz19 said:
Now I wonder if the owners will actually aprove this...

This is my question. I thought the league specifically said if the Ducks were going for between 50-60 million they would buy the team themselves. :dunno: Wasn't there a quote or article on this?

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
westcoast said:
This is my question. I thought the league specifically said if the Ducks were going for between 50-60 million they would buy the team themselves. :dunno: Wasn't there a quote or article on this?
Great avatar westcoast. :thumbu:
I think thats the 1st one thats made me LOL.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
westcoast said:
yeah but this guy already holds the lease for the pond I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad