Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Shawn Horcoff to 1 year deal ($1.75 mil)

DaDucks*

I think he could move to the wing to start the season. Wagner is probably going to stick around full-time anyway and he is seemingly better at face-offs. I think it might be worth experimenting having him on the wing right off the bat.

No, he's not.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
No, he's not.

I agree. If anyone moves to the wing it is Rakell. Always thought Rakell is better served on his natural position (wing). The end of last season made me start to believe he could turn into a center, but disappeared in the playoffs. Rakell wasn't bad, just not a factor. I think his offensive game will really take off if he's moved. I think Murray's comments at the draft were aimed at him. Murray said he drafted heavy on centers because it's easy to move them to the wing if center doesn't pan out. Mentioned how moving a player from the wing to center doesn't really work out. Rakell makes it work because he's such a smart player. IMHO his game will take off on the wing because he will have to think less and will be much more comfortable.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
People are really down on this signing and it confuses me. He's a 3/4 line player who is solid on D and puts up 15 goals and 20 assist routinely. Im hoping this lets Rakell bounce out to the wing, I think it'll help his offensive game hit another level. Solid signing. It makes us deeper. He's a bottom 6 guy, no reason to trash him for not replicating his 70 pt season, we're not bringing him in to fill that role. He's someone we can rely on at center, but can play on any line if injuries strike and wouldn't hinder that line.

Yup :nod:,..and prior to Dany Heatley signing
Dany came from 34 point (13 goals) season,
and look what happened,played all together (NHL+AHL)
52 games and scored 8 goals (6 games for Ducks,0+0)

And Dany is 3 years younger than Horcoff
sure you probably can't compare them 1 in 1,but
nevertheless,we all know how bad Murray is
with his off season signings in recent years.

Horcoff last 6 seasons; 36,27,34,12,20,29=158 points
in a about 400 games (389), avg 10 goals a season

sure in his later years he has been more than just
points,(face-offs and stuff)but at 37
he isn't what he used to be.

Wasn't what the Stars wanted(hoped) he be
and not going to be for Ducks either.

last good, off season signing; 2009 Saku Koivu,
scored over 60 goals for Ducks and over 200 points
in 5 seasons.

we lost combined of 53 goals(regular+post) with
Beleskey,Palmieri,Etem with hundreds of hits
(452) and we get veteran center Horcoff
and winger Hagelin...also
lost DSP mid season(just after)

need to "buy" more goals,strength
and more speed,no need for
spare parts.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Yup :nod:,..and prior to Dany Heatley signing
Dany came from 34 point (13 goals) season,
and look what happened,played all together (NHL+AHL)
52 games and scored 8 goals (6 games for Ducks,0+0)

And Dany is 3 years younger than Horcoff
sure you probably can't compare them 1 in 1,but
nevertheless,we all know how bad Murray is
with his off season signings in recent years.

Horcoff last 6 seasons; 36,27,34,12,20,29=158 points
in a about 400 games (389), avg 10 goals a season

sure in his later years he has been more than just
points,(face-offs and stuff)but at 37
he isn't what he used to be.

Wasn't what the Stars wanted(hoped) he be
and not going to be for Ducks either.

last good, off season signing; 2009 Saku Koivu,
scored over 60 goals for Ducks and over 200 points
in 5 seasons.

we lost combined of 53 goals(regular+post) with
Beleskey,Palmieri,Etem with hundreds of hits
(452) and we get veteran center Horcoff
and winger Hagelin...also
lost DSP mid season(just after)

need to "buy" more goals,strength
and more speed,no need for
spare parts.

Ducks are hoping he is able to remain lower line NHL quality player and I think he will remain that I don't see him becoming so bad that we will be wanting him gone so fast.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
Heatley also had the groin injury that pretty much did him in.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I agree. If anyone moves to the wing it is Rakell. Always thought Rakell is better served on his natural position (wing). The end of last season made me start to believe he could turn into a center, but disappeared in the playoffs. Rakell wasn't bad, just not a factor. I think his offensive game will really take off if he's moved. I think Murray's comments at the draft were aimed at him. Murray said he drafted heavy on centers because it's easy to move them to the wing if center doesn't pan out. Mentioned how moving a player from the wing to center doesn't really work out. Rakell makes it work because he's such a smart player. IMHO his game will take off on the wing because he will have to think less and will be much more comfortable.
I don't think that you actually agree with him, seeing as he's saying that Rakell isn't doing that.

Also, Rakell spent virtually all of his North American hockey career(both pro and junior) at center. He wasn't a winger that was being forced to play center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad