Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Manson to One-Way Extension

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Stoner was solid for us but honestly if we played a kid I don't think it would make much difference and save a lot of money

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Agree... could be Fowler for all we know..

Very unlikely, if we're anticipating Manson replacing him in the line-up. Moving Fowler only makes sense if we're getting another (good) defenseman via trade, or we're looking at a massive step backwards defensively.

Our blue line can't absorb the loss of Beauchemin and Fowler, and still be playoff worthy, to say nothing of being Cup worthy. Bieksa and Manson simply don't add up to that level of play.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
With the expansion draft being inevitable as soon as 2017 some of the younger D-man will have to be traded, because not everyone can be protected. Both Manson and Theodore could be in that group. Also there's a problem with Bieksa having a ****ing NMC which I think likely means he can't remain unprotected.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
With the expansion draft being inevitable as soon as 2017 some of the younger D-man will have to be traded, because not everyone can be protected. Both Manson and Theodore could be in that group. Also there's a problem with Bieksa having a ****ing NMC which I think likely means he can't remain unprotected.

Is this confirmed? I saw a debate about this on the main board, and I don't think I ever saw if it was confirmed or not.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Whats the feeling on Montour?

Everyone is pretty high on him...our head scout (Madden) admitted at the time of the pick that they were shooting for a home run...

and

So far that ball is going pretty far. Offensively he has tremendous ability and most of all confidence with the puck. Duck fans including myself are pretty excited about him.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Could have a bright future. I wouldn't have him far behind Theodore, in terms of potential, and he's also the kind of player who could exceed all reasonable expectations.

Realistically, he shouldn't be on anyone's Anaheim roster this season, and it would be seriously impressive if he managed to play his way onto it. Especially because he isn't the type of player that would be directly competing with someone like Stoner, but with the more skilled puck movers.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
So he will be in the AHL this coming season but after that Ducks will be committed to him being with the big club OK that seems fine to me.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Stoner was solid for us but honestly if we played a kid I don't think it would make much difference and save a lot of money

Yes it would and we saw that first hand when we had kids playing in his place during the season. Manson could very well be better than Stoner and soon even. But not right this moment unless he comes into camp a vastly more mature player than what we saw this season. The need to save money comes next summer and I'm sure Murray is hoping Manson can replace Stoner because that'll save him 2.5 million dollars. But Manson has to get there first. Plus Stoner with two years left on his deal should be easier to move than Stoner with three.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

Do we really know the exact timeframe of the expansion though? With the way things are going in Vegas and Quebec, I think that an expansion could happen as soon as next year. As both of the potential new ownership groups already have NHL-caliber arenas, it all comes down to how fast they can muster up the required $$$ to make it all happen.

I don't know the CBA/Expansion draft rules well enough, what are the requirements for player ineligibility in that scenario? If Manson (or Theo) plays the next season in San Diego and then plays less than 40 games (regular season? playoffs?) with the Ducks in '16-'17, does this mean that he/they can't be selected in a potential 2017 draft? Bieksa's NMC is also a good point, can we leave him unprotected after the NMC has kicked in?

Too many questions, too few answers... :help:

EDIT:

Yes it would and we saw that first hand when we had kids playing in his place during the season. Manson could very well be better than Stoner and soon even. But not right this moment unless he comes into camp a vastly more mature player than what we saw this season. The need to save money comes next summer and I'm sure Murray is hoping Manson can replace Stoner because that'll save him 2.5 million dollars. But Manson has to get there first. Plus Stoner with two years left on his deal should be easier to move than Stoner with three.

This is true, but you also have to consider that the longer we wait, the more likely it becomes that Stoner will become a Bickell for us. Chicago waited for too long to get rid of Bickell and we all know how that worked out for them.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Well I think the board is having its final vote on the two bids in September. Assuming both are approved and franchises are awarded, one year is more than enough time to get a team up and running since they'll both have arenas ready to go.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015

Yeah, Stoner is getting underrated a fair bit here. I'll grant that his inability to make a first pass or skate the puck out often leads to getting hemmed in but he does his job well in the corners and in the crease. Manson does have a better outlet and is a better skater so if he can grow to match Stoner in his own zone then we'll be much better for it but i don't expect it next season yet.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Well I think the board is having its final vote on the two bids in September. Assuming both are approved and franchises are awarded, one year is more than enough time to get a team up and running since they'll both have arenas ready to go.

I am reading that the planned expansion would be for the 2017/18 season. That makes no sense to me, since both areas should be ready for the 2016/17 season, but nevertheless, that is what I am reading.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Skilled OFD that was too good for college right off the bat. We'll know more about his potential after a full season in the AHL this coming season. I've seen him live a handful of times and he's loads of fun to watch. I've never seen him play at the AHL level though

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I am reading that the planned expansion would be for the 2017/18 season. That makes no sense to me, since both areas should be ready for the 2016/17 season, but nevertheless, that is what I am reading.

Hunh. Tempering expectations? Or maybe it takes time to liquidate 500 million bucks even if you're a billionaire.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Nah, I'm just speculating.

You'd think teams would be forced to protect guys with NMCs, but on the other hand, if a team hypothetically had too many guys with NMCs, they'd obviously have to expose one. Between that and the language in the CBA, which speaks nothing of an expansion draft, they might not be forced to protect them. Pretty gray area, so we won't likely know for at least a year.

If they have to, though, that Bieksa contract could be killer. Keeping Stoner isn't so bad because you have to expose a guy who played 40 games, so that's fairly convenient. But, protecting Bieksa while exposing one of Manson or Despres or maybe even Theodore (albeit doubtful) would be downright awful. I suspect a buyout would come before that, though.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
You'd think teams would be forced to protect guys with NMCs, but on the other hand, if a team hypothetically had too many guys with NMCs, they'd obviously have to expose one. Between that and the language in the CBA, which speaks nothing of an expansion draft, they might not be forced to protect them. Pretty gray area, so we won't likely know for at least a year.

If they have to, though, that Bieksa contract could be killer. Keeping Stoner isn't so bad because you have to expose a guy who played 40 games, so that's fairly convenient. But, protecting Bieksa while exposing one of Manson or Despres or maybe even Theodore (albeit doubtful) would be downright awful. I suspect a buyout would come before that, though.

Or a trade with the expansion teams with an agreement to refrain from selecting a particular player.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
This is true, but you also have to consider that the longer we wait, the more likely it becomes that Stoner will become a Bickell for us. Chicago waited for too long to get rid of Bickell and we all know how that worked out for them.

But it's not like Stoner is this vastly overpaid (he's slightly overpaid) player who got his deal than turned back into a pumpkin. He played exactly how we needed him to play and he was an effective player for us. He'd only need to be moved once Lindholm, Vatanen and Despres get their new contracts. And at that point the less term he has on his deal, the better.

But again this is all predicated on the assumption Manson will be ready to take over for him by the start of the 16-17 season. He definitely has the tools to be as good or better than Stoner but it's just a matter how long it'll take him to reach it. Considering how benefitical it'll be for the team for him to reach that level by next season there should be some pressure to make sure he gets a lot of games in this year. But looking at the roster we'll need to have a lot of injuries for him to check in. Unless Holzer is intended to just be a pressbox-filler (which could very well be the case) Manson is our eighth d-man at best. If we stay healthy he could barely play this year.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Could have a bright future. I wouldn't have him far behind Theodore, in terms of potential, and he's also the kind of player who could exceed all reasonable expectations.

Realistically, he shouldn't be on anyone's Anaheim roster this season, and it would be seriously impressive if he managed to play his way onto it. Especially because he isn't the type of player that would be directly competing with someone like Stoner, but with the more skilled puck movers.

But can he play defense? He's an offensive dynamo at every level he's been at, but his talent masks he defensive play. I read that about him from his local playing ground.

In terms of potential, Theo actually increased his by improving his defensive play the past couple of years. I think there's a bigger gap considering we don't know about Montour's defensive play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad