Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Manson to One-Way Extension

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Great deal. The fact that he's still a RFA after this contract expires is just icing on the cake. Well done, Bob! :handclap:

Isn't Manson still waiver-exempt this season? If so, this makes the 2016 offseason even more interesting, because this signing signifies that he's pretty close to making the Ducks. As AngelDuck pointed out, somebody has to move when/if Manson makes the jump. Vatanen/Despres/Stoner are probably the likely candidates.

EDIT:

Wonder why he signed so early. It's not like he would've struggled to get 825k after this season.

At this point, Manson is just a prospect, nothing more. Bob offered him a guaranteed $1.65 million dollars, why wouldn't he sign that deal? Even if he never establishes himself as a professional hockey player, he'll still have that money.

He's going to be 26 at the end of his contract though. Does that mean he will be a UFA? Is that why he did it this way? I forget the rule... are the factors 26 years old and/or certain amount of experience?

General Farager says that he'll be a RFA at the end of this contract.

Last edited:

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
Wonder why he signed so early. It's not like he would've struggled to get 825k after this season.

He's going to be 26 at the end of his contract though. Does that mean he will be a UFA? Is that why he did it this way? I forget the rule... are the factors 26 years old and/or certain amount of experience?

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
More tagging done, and that one is a nice cheap deal for the big club. Murray said he'd get a head start on next summer this summer, following through bit by bit.

Hopefully this means there's a Stoner move in the not-too-distant future.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
So his contract this year is still two way, correct? I hope this means stoner is gone by next year....

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
One way contracts burned us with Sexton and another player I think it was a goalie but Manson is a safer bet Than they were. Could be a steal.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
So his contract this year is still two way, correct? I hope this means stoner is gone by next year....

Yep. Definitely sounds like a defenseman that Manson could replace will be leaving. Stoner seems most likely but our defense is about to get super expensive, so it could be one of the young players, too. Manson is not all that dissimilar to Despres in play style either.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Yep. Definitely sounds like a defenseman that Manson could replace will be leaving. Stoner seems most likely but our defense is about to get super expensive, so it could be one of the young players, too. Manson is not all that dissimilar to Despres in play style either.

The first guess would be sami, but he brings a level of offense that pretty much replicates a forward, something none of our other dmen do to such a degree.

I don't know, nothing short of lindholm would shock me.

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
Great deal. The fact that he's still a RFA after this contract expires is just icing on the cake. Well done, Bob! :handclap:

Isn't Manson still waiver-exempt this season? If so, this makes the 2016 offseason even more interesting, because this signing signifies that he's pretty close to making the Ducks. As AngelDuck pointed out, somebody has to move when/if Manson makes the jump. Vatanen/Despres/Stoner are probably the likely candidates.

Ohh RFA?.. awesome.

The more I think about it, the more mad I get that both Bieksa and Stoner (I don't mind them either as players, but they are each signed a year too long) are locked up for the next 3 seasons....

I think after this next year, our best defensemen will be the following.... in my personal order:

Lindholm
Fowler
Despres
Vatanen
Theodore
Manson
Bieksa
Stoner

Yes, Vatanen is behind Despres.... I love Vatanen about as much as anyone, but Despres has the better outlook currently/in the future as a top 4 Defensemen IMO. I LOVE his game (I think he' underrated and brings things to the table that none of our other young D do (size/physicality/etc.) and honestly, I want to see him take Beachemin's spot on the PP this year, his offensive abilities are underrated as well). Also, Lindholm is a little ahead of Fowler (if he were paired with Despres, he would look even better). Theodore will be higher eventually, but I am just basing this off of next year.

My point is, we will have 2 guys under contract for another 2 years (at big cap hits), that could potentially be our 7-8 best defensemen (and I left Montour off this list because I think has the highest chance of being trade bait - I don't really see him in our future, unless he's still around in 3 years and Bieksa and Stoner's contracts are both up and Vatanen gets traded. But it would be a shame to keep him down that long).

To me though, its looking more and more like Vatanen isn't in our long-term plans :/ (which saddens me because I think he's the best 3rd pairing defenseman in the NHL). But really, it may be wise, he DOES deserve top 4 money, but Idk if its the best use of our cap space over the long haul to pay a player in our 3rd pairing that kind of cash, and we could definitely get an amazing player in return. In a Vacuum, he can play in the top 4 (and on a lot of teams actually), but at the moment, I can't really see him (and don't think BM does either) with Fowler or Lindholm (unless Lindholm turns into a serious physical presence - which is possible I suppose).

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
This could potentially be a great deal if Manson progresses to be the quality NHL d-man he showed flashes of last season. Even if he's not totally ready to take on a full-time role by next season under 900K is affordable for a spare d-man. I don't think this deal makes Stoner expendable in the near future but it certainly gives Murray that option if Manson takes him job away. By signing him now he doesn't have to worry about Manson making Stoner redundant and then having that inflate his value. As big a supporter of Stoner as I am, and I'm probably the biggest outside of Dirk, I would absolutely support Manson replacing him provided he proves he can handle the responsibility and replicate Stoner's effectiveness. He has a ways to go before that happens unless he comes into camp a vastly more matured player. But he's a player of that mold and definitely has the potential and if he reaches it before Capageddon next summer than Murray has a means of saving two and a half million.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
The first guess would be sami, but he brings a level of offense that pretty much replicates a forward, something none of our other dmen do to such a degree.

I would think that the guy who could eventually replace what Sami brings to the lineup would be Theodore.

Stoner is who we'd all want Manson to be replacing obviously. However, the guy that his skillset most resembles on the club is Despres. In no way am I saying I want Despres traded, but it's a very odd signing. The timing is just odd. I wonder if his agent asked for a trade because he thinks he's NHL ready? Maybe the compromise was a promise on the big club next year?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Considering Theodore is also in that mix, and a looming expansion draft, I wouldn't be surprised if two are gone by the fall of 2016.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Very little risk with this deal IMO. Bob pretty much had to give him a one-way deal, but at below a million a year for this type of defenseman...never a bad thing to lock up that asset.

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
Though wouldn't this be pretty cool after this year? (assuming Lindholm bulks up and goes beast)...

Fowler - Despres
Lindholm - Vatanen
Theodore - Manson

(though a Theodore - Vatanen pairing would be fun to throw out there for insane offense)

Not realistic due to all being super young, and obviously Bieksa will still be here, but I salivate thinking of it..

Its nice that Manson is RD. But who else do you guys think will eventually convert to RD?

It would seem Theodore will be playing with Lindholm or Fowler in the near future. It's also funny that Despres is also naturally a LD (he's great on the right though obviously).

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015

Agree... could be Fowler for all we know..

WrecKed

Jun 20, 2013
Manitoba
Though wouldn't this be pretty cool after this year? (assuming Lindholm bulks up and goes beast)...

Fowler - Despres
Lindholm - Vatanen
Theodore - Manson

(though a Theodore - Vatanen pairing would be fun to throw out there for insane offense)

Not realistic due to all being super young, and obviously Bieksa will still be here, but I salivate thinking of it..

Its nice that Manson is RD. But who else do you guys think will eventually convert to RD?

It would seem Theodore will be playing with Lindholm or Fowler in the near future. It's also funny that Despres is also naturally a LD (he's great on the right though obviously).

Theodore also has at least some experience playing RD as he did in the World Juniors last year. Not too sure if he has outside of that though.

Love Manson. Hoping his game starts developing into a more grittier style so that he can make BM's life easy and make Stoner and his cap hit expendable.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I would think that the guy who could eventually replace what Sami brings to the lineup would be Theodore.

Stoner is who we'd all want Manson to be replacing obviously. However, the guy that his skillset most resembles on the club is Despres. In no way am I saying I want Despres traded, but it's a very odd signing. The timing is just odd. I wonder if his agent asked for a trade because he thinks he's NHL ready? Maybe the compromise was a promise on the big club next year?

I don't think there were any trade threats being made. Murray was Dave Manson's teammate in Chicago during the '80s, and I remember reading somewhere that Bob is still close with the Manson family (no source though).

Stoner has to be gone, hopefully sooner rather than later. Despres being a LHD opens up the possibility of moving him to play the left side, allowing Manson to play on his natural position. Also if Bob plays his cards right, we could have Manson and Despres in our bottom pairing long-term for a combined AAV of what Stoner is currently making.

EDIT:

Fowler - Despres
Lindholm - Vatanen
Theodore - Manson

Don't lose hope, my friend. Bieksa's NTC kicks in July 1st, 2016, so technically we have a 1-year window of dealing him. :handclap:

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I don't think there were any trade threats being made. Murray was Dave Manson's teammate in Chicago during the '80s, and I remember reading somewhere that Bob is still close with the Manson family (no source though).

Stoner has to be gone, hopefully sooner rather than later. Despres being a LHD opens up the possibility of moving him to play the left side, allowing Manson to play on his natural position. Also if Bob plays his cards right, we could have Manson and Despres in our bottom pairing long-term for a combined AAV of what Stoner is currently making.

Despres is left handed, but has stated several times that he prefers the right. You're correct, he could probably play the left side if needed, but I can't imagine Murray is thinking of breaking up Fowler-Despres when the two played so well together.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
As said prior... kid signs the deal for guaranteed money on a good team. Most likely means he is going to put up descent #s from the blue line and get some stage time in the playoffs.

And we have seen plenty of guys who turn descent playoff efforts into descent $ contracts.

This guy's just guaranteed himself a roster spot the tighter the $$ gets.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00