Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Fasth to Two-Year Extension

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
it's 3 mil NEXT year, and it's pretty likely one of these goalies is traded by October

The fact that it's next year only adds to my point. I agree that one of the goalies is gone, but still, it doesn't make someone an idiot for worrying about the extra 3 mil added to our payroll

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Something I did learn from that Vatanen thread is that Finland is apparently not a part of Scandinavia.
We aren't. We are Nordics.

I want to see how Fasth performs when almost all teams have seen him and some teams multiple times plus opponents scouts... if he keeps performing well after his weaknesses have been figured out by the league then I don't see any problem with this deal... could be a helluva steal.

Oct 18, 2011
The fact that it's next year only adds to my point. I agree that one of the goalies is gone, but still, it doesn't make someone an idiot for worrying about the extra 3 mil added to our payroll
but it won't really be 3 million if/when hiller is traded, we'll be saving money

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
but it won't really be 3 million if/when hiller is traded, we'll be saving money

Agreed, but I think the people that are concerned that this affects the Perry negotiations are assuming we don't trade one of them which also could happen if Fasth flames out, and Hiller regains his form. Then we might be stuck with Fasth.

DaDucks*

And I don't mean any kind of offense personally, but you'd have to be some kind of idiot to even insinuate that Fasth getting locked up in any way will effect the Perry negotiations. I'm not going to bother reading back in the thread, but I really hope people aren't suggesting that.

Ha ha ha u thought that I thought we chose Fasth over perry in some way?

I'm suggesting that there are no negotiations with Perry and that he is leaving. Thus taking a bit of the funds and throwing it on victor now therefore he won't be the GM that lost perry and Fasth...

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikko*

lol what. did you seriously justify your post by saying its not a risk because its only 2.9m AAV? that makes absolutely no sense.

Did I ever say I was justifying anything? You're the ones coming out saying how risky this contract is and I'm explaining why nothing you've said supports your points. You guys think 2.9 mil has some profound impact on every move the team makes from here on out. Of course there's an effect, but do you think Hiller is a sure fire starter the next two years? I don't, he has not looked as solid or consistent as he has in past years. Fasth may not be the second coming of Jesus Christ but he is a damn good option if Hiller does go awry. Best case scenario is he makes Hiller expendable. Worst case is he craps out and is 3 mil on our payroll the next TWO years. TWO. How many ****** contracts do you see this club taking on in the next year to where this one becomes a significant problem? Guess what, there is risk in signing everyone. Explain how this sub 3 cap hit for two ****ing years is more risky than any of our others. You've yet to make one point that's not moot.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=5147

8 games following a career of excellence.

Viktor has proven himself not only this year in the NHL, but the previous two seasons as the top goaltender in Sweden,†said Ducks Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray. “We are pleased to be able to keep him and feel fortunate to have two top NHL goaltenders going forward.â€

Well you managed to get the second-best of your new goalies to play in the NHL and keep the best playing for Norfolk Admirals :laugh:

Frederik Andersen was best goalie in Sweden (SEL) last year and Viktor Fasth third.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?leagueid=Elitserien&season=2011

Frederik Andersen also has a lot more international experience than Viktor Fasth.
Frederik Andersen has 2 U18 WC, 3 U20 WC, 3 WC (+1, but not playing) and one recent olympic qualification for Denmark (with 96% saves).
Viktor Fasth "only" has 2 WC for Sweden.

Seems that after a shaky start getting used to NA rink size and shooting angles; Frederik Andersen seems ready as well. Has 92,9% saves for Norfolk Admirals that is 14 out of 15 in it's conference and still he has one of the bast SVS% in AHL.

So I would definitely say that Anaheim has 3 good goalkeepers now. One thing that everyone has noticed with Frederik Andersen is that is eternally calm and has his eye on NHL - the reason for his redraft anyways.

So do you sell Hiller or Andersen or keep all three this season out?

DisneyDucky

Feb 5, 2012
Linköping
Well you managed to get the second-best of your new goalies to play in the NHL and keep the best playing for Norfolk Admirals :laugh:

Frederik Andersen was best goalie in Sweden (SEL) last year and Viktor Fasth third.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?leagueid=Elitserien&season=2011

Frederik Andersen also has a lot more international experience than Viktor Fasth.
Frederik Andersen has 2 U18 WC, 3 U20 WC, 3 WC (+1, but not playing) and one recent olympic qualification for Denmark (with 96% saves).

Seems that after a shaky start getting used to NA rink size and shooting angles; Frederik Andersen seems ready as well. Has 92,9% saves for Norfolk Admirals that is 14 out of 15 in it's conference and still he has one of the bast SVS% in AHL.

So I would definitely say that Anaheim has 3 good goalkeepers now. One thing that everyone has noticed with Frederik Andersen is that is eternally calm and has his eye on NHL - the reason for his redraft anyways.

So do you sell Hiller or Andersen or keep all three this season out?

Fasth is and was better then anderssen dont be ridicolous. He may have won the % or what it was but only Frölunda supporters would take him over Fasth. Viktor won honken for a reason.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Fasth is and was better then anderssen dont be ridicolous. He may have won the % or what it was but only Frölunda supporters would take him over Fasth. Viktor won honken for a reason.

Whats about being ridiculous? Andersen was best in SEL regular season and Fasth was better than him in the playoffs. Andersen beat Henrik Ljungqvists shutout record in Frölunda....doesn't that account for anything?

How can we even evalue of Fasth is better than Andersen right now? Andersen hasn't gotten a chance yet in NHL, but has 29 games in AHL where Fasth only played 3. So it's next to impossible to compare them right now. [Still Andersen's SVS% is better than Fasth's for Norfolk]
Based on last year you can argue who is better or not...but Andersen was best in Sweden, and Fasth 3'rd before the playoffs, where Andersen slumped a bit (but so did Fasth - they were 6'th and 9'th in the playoffs).

So saying that only Frölunda supporters would take him is really beside the point.....I'm not a Frölunda supporter

DisneyDucky

Feb 5, 2012
Linköping
Whats about being ridiculous? Andersen was best in SEL regular season and Fasth was better than him in the playoffs. Andersen beat Henrik Ljungqvists shutout record in Frölunda....doesn't that account for anything?

How can we even evalue of Fasth is better than Andersen right now? Andersen hasn't gotten a chance yet in NHL, but has 29 games in AHL where Fasth only played 3. So it's next to impossible to compare them right now. [Still Andersen's SVS% is better than Fasth's for Norfolk]
Based on last year you can argue who is better or not...but Andersen was best in Sweden, and Fasth 3'rd before the playoffs, where Andersen slumped a bit (but so did Fasth - they were 6'th and 9'th in the playoffs).

So saying that only Frölunda supporters would take him is really beside the point.....I'm not a Frölunda supporter

Third best? You think Ericsson is better then Fasth too based on just %?

Since you're new to hockey Im gonna let you in on a little secret: stats dont tell everything, best % doesnt always mean best goalie.

Owuya had better %in Fasths first ES season, but Fasth won Honken. Andersen had better % last season, But Fasth won honken. Truly Mindblowing.

Last edited:

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen

Frölunda supporters and Danish posters then :)

Seriously Justinov, I'm also excited about Andersen but Fasth is better.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Hiller/Fasth Will be 1a/1b for this year a next until next years trade deadline. By that time we will know if Fasth is the real deal. Anderson will become backup, then that gives Gibson Starter time in the AHL for that year and probably the next. Bobkov of course has no future with us.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Actually, Fasth will only be making $2.4M next season, so that's "just" $1.4M more than this year (had it been full). It's a decent raise, but those $1.4M more won't impact a Perry situation.

Nope, Fasth is better, and most certainly was better. That's why he won the according trophy. Goaltending stats aren't a linear reflection of goaltending ability. Save-percentage is the only remotely meaningful, and even that one is highly dependent on team play. Having a better save-percentage doesn't make for a better goalie. Like Brian Eliott with his .940 SV% and 9 shutouts wasn't a better goalie than Cam Ward and his .915 SV% last year. Those statistics aren't capable of making such statements. Which is why the important trophies don't rely purely on stats.

Well, Sweden is a tad of a different animal than Denmark, with all due respect. We all know Fasth's career trajectory as a late-bloomer. That doesn't change anyhting about the present.

Andersen beat Henrik Ljungqvists shutout record in Frölunda....doesn't that account for anything?
No, it doesn't. Because shutouts are a pure team stat. Almost meaningless to evaluate goaltenders. Like with Elliott's 9 last season, or Steve Mason leading the NHL a few years ago. Neither were close to top-3 goalies in the league. I am not saying Andersen wasn't actually great, but I'm saying that their current play and the actual voting in Sweden for the best goaltender is a lot more meaningful than the goaltending stats.

How can we even evalue of Fasth is better than Andersen right now? Andersen hasn't gotten a chance yet in NHL, but has 29 games in AHL where Fasth only played 3. So it's next to impossible to compare them right now.
Not for the Anaheim coaches, it isn't. They have seen a fair bit of both of them.

... but to end on a bit more positive note, it's pretty reasonable to be excited about Andersen. He struggled out of the gate, but even in the un-easy adaption process he managed to elevate his numbers pretty quickly. There's obviously a lot of quality there already, although I think his movement is a bit raw compared to Fasth. But if he can improving there, there's a chance he could force his way onto the Ducks next season, and make for interesting debates going forward. :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Third best? You think Ericsson is better then Fasth too based on just %?

Since you're new to hockey Im gonna let you in on a little secret: stats dont tell everything, best % doesnt always mean best goalie.

Owuya had better %in Fasths first ES season, but Fasth won Honken. Andersen had better % last season, But Fasth won honken. Truly Mindblowing.

Well Im hardly new to hockey (watched it for 30 years) and I know stats doesn't say everything. But they certainly indicates something. Fasth is a very good goalkeeper but so is Andersen. My point is just that it's a toss of a coin who got the chance to play for Anaheim. Andersen was backup and could have had the chance in game 1 if Hiller had got injured.
My point is simply that Andersen could be good enough as a backup goalie somewhere. Since now Fasth have 9 NHL matches under his belt, he is suddenly "vastly superior" than Andersen. It could have ended up the other way......
What I say is not only based on being "danish" or "Frölunda" fan.....I can remember swedish newspapers from last year where you had the debat which of the two was best - it was very much 50-50 until the playoffs where Andersen slumped.

Maybe people misunderstood my meaning when I said that Fasth was second best to Andersen - I should have put a sarcasm instead of a laughing icon after that statement.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Well, Sweden is a tad of a different animal than Denmark, with all due respect. We all know Fasth's career trajectory as a late-bloomer. That doesn't change anyhting about the present.

... but to end on a bit more positive note, it's pretty reasonable to be excited about Andersen. He struggled out of the gate, but even in the un-easy adaption process he managed to elevate his numbers pretty quickly. There's obviously a lot of quality there already, although I think his movement is a bit raw compared to Fasth. But if he can improving there, there's a chance he could force his way onto the Ducks next season, and make for interesting debates going forward. :)

I just don't understand the argument that you are a great goalie if you play for a team with great defence, but not if you play for Denmark with much worse defence? In the WC the teams play each other...way harder to be goalkeeper for Denmark than for Sweden??
I said it was international play (World Championship), not league play.

Yes Andersen struggled in the beginning and thats why his current play for a bottom team is really impressive - as impressive statewise than Fasth with his 3 games for Norfolk (I havent seen any Norfolk games). So right now Andersen feel ready to try NHL.

But yeah I look forward to their competition in Anaheim as it was in the SEL last year!

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I just don't understand the argument that you are a great goalie if you play for a team with great defence, but not if you play for Denmark with much worse defence? In the WC the teams play each other...way harder to be goalkeeper for Denmark than for Sweden??
I didn't mean that it was harder for Fasth, I meant that even if Fasth hadn't been such a late-bloomer, it's tougher to get to play for your country internationally if you are a Swede than if you're from Denmark, in terms of hockey, due to competition.

So right now Andersen feel ready to try NHL.

But yeah I look forward to their competition in Anaheim as it was in the SEL last year!
Well, I wouldn't be too comfortable with throwing Andersen into the NHL, just yet. He might not look too out of place, but I think he's in a very good spot for now. If he continues to improve, he'll get his shot. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing him more often down the road.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I didn't mean that it was harder for Fasth, I meant that even if Fasth hadn't been such a late-bloomer, it's tougher to get to play for your country internationally if you are a Swede than if you're from Denmark, in terms of hockey, due to competition.

Well, I wouldn't be too comfortable with throwing Andersen into the NHL, just yet. He might not look too out of place, but I think he's in a very good spot for now. If he continues to improve, he'll get his shot. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing him more often down the road.

Ah ok....in that respect you are right. Denmark has very little goalie depth.
Yeah he probably need to have the whole AHL season under his belt to be totally in tune with the NA game.
My point is just that he is no green "rookie" but a guy with tons of experience despite his young age. He has shown to be able to handle that stress being calm in all situations.
He started coming from the Danish league to SEL last year and begun with a shutout and ended with 7 and lowest GAA as a rookie, where Fasth as you said was a late bloomer with many years in Allsvenskan before he got to SEL in 2010.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
My point is just that he is no green "rookie" but a guy with tons of experience despite his young age. He has shown to be able to handle that stress being calm in all situations.
He started coming from the Danish league to SEL last year and begun with a shutout and ended with 7 and lowest GAA as a rookie, where Fasth as you said was a late bloomer with many years in Allsvenskan before he got to SEL in 2010.

Yeah, I think you'll be happy to hear that most Ducks fans have been pretty happy upon hearing those things after drafting him. It was a pretty bold move for him to just re-enter the draft hoping to wind up in a better situation, and it looks like he's in a good one for now (although he'll probably be facing competition from John Gibson down the road, as well...). The Ducks and we were certainly intrigued to be in the rare situation to get to draft a goalie so far in his development, who already has proven quite a bit in a very good professional league. That's not possible too often.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yeah, I think you'll be happy to hear that most Ducks fans have been pretty happy upon hearing those things after drafting him. It was a pretty bold move for him to just re-enter the draft hoping to wind up in a better situation, and it looks like he's in a good one for now (although he'll probably be facing competition from John Gibson down the road, as well...). The Ducks and we were certainly intrigued to be in the rare situation to get to draft a goalie so far in his development, who already has proven quite a bit in a very good professional league. That's not possible too often.

Yeah very risky move! But it shows how determined he is to become a NHL goalie.
It's not often you have a prospect with already 4 WC where three as 1'st goalie and 23 years old.
The question is not if he is ready mentally (he certainly is - European players are generally regarding WC and playing for their country as bigger or at least equal to play in the NHL, so nervousness is not the issue. The issue if he had enough time to adjust to the NA game. He struggled at first but seem to be on the right track now. Fasth did it much faster, so that might be a major reason to him being backup for Hiller.

So if Anaheim got an offer for Andersen...what would you trade him for as minimum? But good to hear that people are keen to keep him!

ViCiieux

Feb 8, 2013
I think Andersen is a really good goalkeeper.
But keep in mind that Fasth carried AIK on his shoulder the first year.
Then the second year he was kinda.. meh for his standards. But still he managed to be third place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad