Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Andrej Sustr (1y/1.3m)

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
Rowney was especially ridiculous, 25% wasn't it?

Yeah, last year it was exactly 25%. Sustr's last year was even lower than this year at 36%.

Like I don't think these guys are good players or anything but I don't think it's a coincidence that these are the guys fans of other teams single out because it seems like every time they look up Rowney/Sustr/Schenn are trapped in the defensive zone again. But the reason they're always in the defensive zone is because they're the ones that start there the most.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Yeah, last year it was exactly 25%. Sustr's last year was even lower than this year at 36%.

Like I don't think these guys are good players or anything but I don't think it's a coincidence that these are the guys fans of other teams single out because it seems like every time they look up Rowney/Sustr/Schenn are trapped in the defensive zone again. But the reason they're always in the defensive zone is because they're the ones that start there the most.

So your answer to them not being god awful is we start feeding them o-zone starts? So they can not score while taking away o-zone starts from the guys that actually can?

Reactions: Pennaduck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We'd hope. Carlyle might have other plans, though. Terrible decision making didn't stop him from playing Bieksa a ton.

As much as I don't like seeing Bieksa out there on the ice, we truly didn't have talent that can force Bieksa to sit. People forget that Pettersson made the jump and stuck before Larsson and Welinski at defense. I think we duck fans are too spoiled when we have defensemen like Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen, Manson, and Montour just rise to the NHL level so quickly and stay. Theodore should be added to that mix as well. We iced all six at the same time in the playoffs two seasons ago.

Today's ages
Folwer: 25 years old
Manson: 25 years old
Lindholm: 23 years old
Montour: 23 years old
---------
Megna: 24 years old
Welinski: 24 years old
Pettersson: 21 years old
Larsson: 21 years old

(Gone: Vatanen - 26 years old, Theodore - 22 years old)

Beauchemin took 7 years between the AHL (5 years) and NHL (2 years) to become an NHL regular, that was with the Ducks. We do not know exactly how Pettersson, Welinski, or Larsson will pan out. If they can beat out Schenn and Sustr, then that's great for us fans! Bob isn't gifting a starting position to our youngings.

Now, we actually have no depth in defense if we didn't add Schenn and Sustr should more than two defensemen falter. With news that Holzier might not stay with the Ducks, then Sustr would be that replacement player.

Here's what the official website lists for defensemen on the farm:
  • Berkovitz
  • Cooper
  • Drew
  • Mahura
  • Megna
  • Olesky
  • Ruggiero
  • Thompson
Schenn and Sustr are on cheap, one-year deals. I don't comprehend the huge fuss about these signings. If our youngings can't beat them out, then at least we have these cheap veterans. I just see these two guys as bridge players until we're more comfortable with one or two of our youngings becoming mainstays at the NHL level.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
can the samueli's please sell the team to someone who sets higher expectations than simply making the playoffs every season?

these signings are ridiculous

Reactions: DuckRogers10

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I’m telling you guys...Murray just cannot help himself from making these types of moves. This doesn’t harm anything but how does it help us?

Same story over and over. Should be pursuing a left wing that can score instead we get defenseman and bottom line plugs

Reactions: DuckRogers10

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
So your answer to them not being god awful is we start feeding them o-zone starts? So they can not score while taking away o-zone starts from the guys that actually can?

No I'm saying the reason they're perceived as "god awful" is because fans of other teams don't keep track of o-zone starts when they're watching games, so they always see the same guys getting buried. I'd think their numbers and their perception would improve on a team that uses more balanced deployment.

Even with relatively extreme o-zone start rates all those players finished with basically even scoring chances for/against, which is what you want to see in depth players.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
As much as I don't like seeing Bieksa out there on the ice, we truly didn't have talent that can force Bieksa to sit. People forget that Pettersson made the jump and stuck before Larsson and Welinski at defense. I think we duck fans are too spoiled when we have defensemen like Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen, Manson, and Montour just rise to the NHL level so quickly and stay. Theodore should be added to that mix as well. We iced all six at the same time in the playoffs two seasons ago.

Today's ages
Folwer: 25 years old
Manson: 25 years old
Lindholm: 23 years old
Montour: 23 years old
---------
Megna: 24 years old
Welinski: 24 years old
Pettersson: 21 years old
Larsson: 21 years old

(Gone: Vatanen - 26 years old, Theodore - 22 years old)

Beauchemin took 7 years between the AHL (5 years) and NHL (2 years) to become an NHL regular, that was with the Ducks. We do not know exactly how Pettersson, Welinski, or Larsson will pan out. If they can beat out Schenn and Sustr, then that's great for us fans! Bob isn't gifting a starting position to our youngings.

Now, we actually have no depth in defense if we didn't add Schenn and Sustr should more than two defensemen falter. With news that Holzier might not stay with the Ducks, then Sustr would be that replacement player.

Here's what the official website lists for defensemen on the farm:
  • Berkovitz
  • Cooper
  • Drew
  • Mahura
  • Megna
  • Olesky
  • Ruggiero
  • Thompson
Schenn and Sustr are on cheap, one-year deals. I don't comprehend the huge fuss about these signings. If our youngings can't beat them out, then at least we have these cheap veterans. I just see these two guys as bridge players until we're more comfortable with one or two of our youngings becoming mainstays at the NHL level.

You're operating under the flawed belief that the scales aren't already heavily tilted in favor of Schenn/Sustr regardless of what they actually bring on the ice both for RC's love of safe and steady vets and the money they're being paid. Burying them in the AHL does us no good because they still have to be paid and that still comes out of the owner imposed budget BM has. It would have made far more sense to only sign Schenn and then bring in a PTO dman (Franson/Enstrom?) that would actually have to earn a spot over the kids with his play rather than the contractual hierarchy that saw Bieksa (and others) play so many games to this team's detriment when there couldn't have possibly been worse options.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don’t have that much issue with this, there’s no term and he’s been signed as a depth guy so shouldn’t hurt too much. Was good the year before last too.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Three considerations:

1) Holzer was waived not long ago. Murray is both unafraid of losing him to waivers and does not see him in the Ducks' plans for this season.

2) For as much as people are reading into the signings of Schenn and Sustr as Murray not giving the kids a chance, people should also read into the promotion of Marty Wilford as Murray giving the kids a chance.

3) The contracts given to Schenn and Sustr are both trade deadline friendly. If our team trends in the wrong direction --as many of us expect-- one if not both of Schenn and Sustr would be prime candidates to sell at the deadline. For example, look at these trades: Oleksiak for a 4th, Kempny for a 3rd, Holden for a prospect and a 4th, Jerabek for a 5th, Davidson for a 3rd, Morrow for a 4th, Reilly for a 5th.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Murray has spent 3 million on crap players for next year so far this offseason.

Oct 18, 2011
I’m telling you guys...Murray just cannot help himself from making these types of moves. This doesn’t harm anything but how does it help us?

Same story over and over. Should be pursuing a left wing that can score instead we get defenseman and bottom line plugs
I would argue these moves WILL harm us because the coach will overplay Sustr and Schenn

Reactions: Deuce22
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'm not even sure hes blocking anyone other than Schenn, who might be a bit miffed that they signed a similar guy for a bigger commitment. Welinski, I guess, but at this point it's pretty unlikely he amounts to a whole lot(and theres still a bit of time to determine if he will). Theres the Larsson/Pettersson duo, but that was probably never going to be a pairing and even before these signings it was pretty possible or likely one would become trade bait. Both also have time before a decision really has to be made.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Murray has spent 3 million on crap players for next year so far this offseason.
Slightly worse than that, I think...

0.8M on Schenn
1.133M on Rowney x 3
1.3M on Sustr
0.75 on Rodin
1M on Gibbons

That's 5M this year tied up in bottom lines and pairings, most of whom are garbage.

Reactions: Spazkat
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Slightly worse than that, I think...

0.8M on Schenn
1.133M on Rowney x 3
1.3M on Sustr
0.75 on Rodin
1M on Gibbons

That's 5M this year tied up in bottom lines and pairings, most of whom are garbage.

Well yeah. You add in one of Larsson and Pettersson and another forward and you're maybe sending 10% of your salary on your third pair, fourth line and all three scratches. That isn't exactly livin la vida loca.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Well yeah. You add in one of Larsson and Pettersson and another forward and you're maybe sending 10% of your salary on your third pair, fourth line and all three scratches. That isn't exactly livin la vida loca.

Oh, I get that your non-regulars shouldn't take up cap, I get it.

I'm more taking issue with the fact that these non-regulars we signed are slightly more expensive than our rookies, some of whom should be playing for a spot up with the Ducks.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Sigh. Gotta catch 'em all, I guess. Orpik should be along shortly.

How much did Perron go for again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad