Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Andrej Sustr (1y/1.3m)

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
This board is in love with prospects. It was the same thing with Etem and Smith-Pelly, people wanted to hand out top six wing positions to them instead of them earning those spots. This type of concern wasn't around when Getzlaf and Perry started on the 4th line, and were demoted to Portland. If kids are good enough they will force the hands of the couch and climb the ladder.
To be fair, there's a huge difference between a top 6 spot and playing limited 3rd pairing minutes.

I don't see anything wrong with leaving a spot(s) open there and leave the prospects to battle it out and the best 1 or 2 get the gig - I'd much rather see that then Anaheim sign multiple #7's personally.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
This board is in love with prospects. It was the same thing with Etem and Smith-Pelly, people wanted to hand out top six wing positions to them instead of them earning those spots. This type of concern wasn't around when Getzlaf and Perry started on the 4th line, and were demoted to Portland. If kids are good enough they will force the hands of the couch and climb the ladder.
Has nothing to do with this. It is absurd to say that if BM signed quality players for the 3rd pairing that people would complain about them blocking prospects. The issue has always been that the guys brought in aren't quality too much of the time. A lot of them are barely NHL guys.

You are making the narrative into something that doesn't apply here. People want prospects to either be played over garbage, or they want actual solid players signed for those roles. At least that's what I want. The issue becomes when neither of those things happens and we get Rowney, Schenn, Sustr all in one offseason.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Has nothing to do with this. It is absurd to say that if BM signed quality players for the 3rd pairing that people would complain about them blocking prospects. The issue has always been that the guys brought in aren't quality too much of the time. A lot of them are barely NHL guys.

You are making the narrative into something that doesn't apply here. People want prospects to either be played over garbage, or they want actual solid players signed for those roles. At least that's what I want. The issue becomes when neither of those things happens and we get Rowney, Schenn, Sustr all in one offseason.

Also, it’s ideal to sign A GUY for the 7th D. You want someone who can not suck up a big salary but can jump in for a small stretch of games in case of injury. Having 2-3 of those guys is the issue.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Ok, so who are the quality players BM should have gone after in free agency for our 3rd pairing in your opinion? I'm sure it's a long list of options...

If Pettersson and Welinski was 28-29, and Sustr and Schenn were 22 and 25, everyone would just be sitting here complaining about Pettersson and Welinski instead. In much likelyhood, neither will have a career as good as Schenn's even.

If this was 2005, half this board would go crazy over Zenon Konopka and Ryan Shannon not getting a chance over useless plugs like Jonathan Hedstrom and Todd Fedoruk. Or Joe DiPenta and Vitaly Vishnevsky playing over Maxim Kondratiev and Bruno St. Jacques. All these great prospects we never gave a chance gone to waste... Most (if not all) players people are currently complaining about not getting an oppurtunity will never have a career in the NHL, let alone play a top six/top four role.

Seriously, if a player is good enough he will force his way into the NHL. Injuries happens all the time, and veterans decline opening for opportunities. Yes, sometimes you give up on a player who develops somewhere else down the road. But we also pick those up. Beauchemin, Bonino, Maroon, Perreault...

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Ok, so who are the quality players BM should have gone after in free agency for our 3rd pairing in your opinion? I'm sure it's a long list of options...

If Pettersson and Welinski was 28-29, and Sustr and Schenn were 22 and 25, everyone would just be sitting here complaining about Pettersson and Welinski instead. In much likelyhood, neither will have a career as good as Schenn's even.

If this was 2005, half this board would go crazy over Zenon Konopka and Ryan Shannon not getting a chance over useless plugs like Jonathan Hedstrom and Todd Fedoruk. Or Joe DiPenta and Vitaly Vishnevsky playing over Maxim Kondratiev and Bruno St. Jacques. All these great prospects we never gave a chance gone to waste... Most (if not all) players people are currently complaining about not getting an oppurtunity will never have a career in the NHL, let alone play a top six/top four role.

Seriously, if a player is good enough he will force his way into the NHL. Injuries happens all the time, and veterans decline opening for opportunities. Yes, sometimes you give up on a player who develops somewhere else down the road. But we also pick those up. Beauchemin, Bonino, Maroon, Perreault...

It is sort of strange. On the one hand prospects should play all the time. On the other hand the patience with players like Ritchie isn't there. In the end of the day it looks like they should play but if the don't break out after 40 games trade them.

Reactions: Elvs

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
It is sort of strange. On the one hand prospects should play all the time. On the other hand the patience with players like Ritchie isn't there. In the end of the day it looks like they should play but if the don't break out after 40 games trade them.

40 games seems like an awfully small sample size to judge prospects off of. Some players take years to develop.

Raks had 35 points in his first 93 NHL games (15 point pace for 40 games). Took 4 full seasons of NHL experience to reach his almost PPG level

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
40 games seems like an awfully small sample size to judge prospects off of. Some players take years to develop.

Raks had 35 points in his first 93 NHL games (15 point pace for 40 games). Took 4 full seasons of NHL experience to reach his almost PPG level

I know. That's why I'm patient with Ritchie.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

That was really obvious that Raks could become a very good player if everything goes right. He had the smarts and handling to do so, I remember posting here about it. The thing he lacked was strenght and experience.

Ritchie already have the strenght but doesn`t always seem to be in right places or making right decisions. I really agree that Nick should no doubt be able to improve. But he was taken too soon in the draft. And that`s not his fault, obviously!

Oct 18, 2011
Your reasoning for signing bad players is poor, especially as the teams window is closing. These guys aren't good there's no reason to defend it

Oct 18, 2011

If they were as bad as Schenn and Sustr of course we would want to see others play, I don't even understand your point.

If you're playing terrible players it's logical to want others to have an opportunity

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Your reasoning for signing bad players is poor, especially as the teams window is closing. These guys aren't good there's no reason to defend it

I was the only one defending Grant early last season. People called him a useless plug and wanted Giovanni Fiore up here.

I'm not defending them by calling them good players, but they are payed market value for the players they are. You, along with half this board, have unrealistic expectations of what a player should bring for the money he earns. Schenn is making near league minimum, and such the expectations on him shouldn't be the same as for a $3 mil 3rd pairing defenseman.

I have been on this board for twelve years and I don't think I have ever seen people complain this much over a $800k/1 year contract. Not even in 05/06 when the Salary Cap was just $39 mil. Ridiculous.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
If they were as bad as Schenn and Sustr of course we would want to see others play, I don't even understand your point.

The point is half this board complains about veteran depth players, but want arguably worse players playing just because they are younger. The point is most of the prospects everyone are so eager to play, you will not care about three years from now.

The list of prospects in this league, who were once more hyped than a 25 year old Welinski or Roy, but never amounted to anything, goes on and on and on and on and on... That's not me saying guys like Welinski and Pettersson will never amount to anything, but if they can't even beat Schenn and Sustr for a roster spot then why should they play?

Reactions: Ducks DVM

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
I was the only one defending Grant early last season. People called him a useless plug and wanted Giovanni Fiore up here.

I'm not defending them by calling them good players, but they are payed market value for the players they are. You, along with half this board, have unrealistic expectations of what a player should bring for the money he earns. Schenn is making near league minimum, and such the expectations on him shouldn't be the same as for a $3 mil 3rd pairing defenseman.

I have been on this board for twelve years and I don't think I have ever seen people complain this much over a $800k/1 year contract. Not even in 05/06 when the Salary Cap was just $39 mil. Ridiculous.

As someone who loves seeing our young guys get a shot on the NHL squad, I still agree with you. Schenn/Sustr were signed to be 7th D or 3rd pairing D. My only concern is that we've seen RC play worse players on the NHL squad. Whether that was just a difference in valuations between him and the fans or just wanting our prospects to stay in AHL to develop is impossible to know from the outside looking in.

To be honest, I'm expecting RC to use the following pairings:

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Schenn
Pettersson-Montour
7th:Sustr

Schenn is the defensive D that will free up Fowler's skating ability and Pettersson showed that he is capable of 3rd pairing responsibilities. If the younger guys can prove that they can play, they'll get slotted in as needed. Otherwise they'll continue to develop in the AHL. Schenn & Sustr feel like the new Bieksa/Beach & Stoner/Holzer, just on cheaper contracts and I'm happy with that.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

I don’t think the issue is paying those guys what they’re worth. The issue is paying so many of them what they’re worth, and then paying several of them for an extra 1-2 years when you easily get a comparable guy the next year. When a team who has budget issues then pays for 5-6 borderline players instead of 2-3, it invites criticism IMO.

Also, people weren’t wanting Fiore over Grant. People were wanting him over Boll and Rasmussen on the LW. I think the greatest anger was in comparing him to Thompson though, just like this time the replacements are being compared to Grant. Hopefully there’s a Grant on his year’s group, as opposed to all Rasmussen.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005

Gibbons/Rodin/Schenn at under 1 million? Sure whatever.

But Sustr 1.3 and Rowley at 1.1 and 3 years does seem high.

Reactions: Doothpick

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
On behalf of Tampa fans, we feel your pain and then some. Ignore his stats and just enjoy his orange traffic cone imitation or when he decides to push that nice slow pass into your own crease in heavy traffic.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
On behalf of Tampa fans, we feel your pain and then some. Ignore his stats and just enjoy his orange traffic cone imitation or when he decides to push that nice slow pass into your own crease in heavy traffic.

Not trying to be a dick, but we get it. We really do. You’re glad he’s gone, and we don’t blame you as we went through something similar with Bieksa last year. That said, we’ve seen numerous Tampa fans say similar things. Trust us, we don’t like the signing either. To all Tampa fans reading this thread: we get it.

Fellow Duck fans: when Bieksa signs I encourage you to NOT go to the other teams board on the thread and say things like “he’s awful!”. Leave that to the main board.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Not trying to be a dick, but we get it. We really do. You’re glad he’s gone, and we don’t blame you as we went through something similar with Bieksa last year. That said, we’ve seen numerous Tampa fans say similar things. Trust us, we don’t like the signing either. To all Tampa fans reading this thread: we get it.

Fellow Duck fans: when Bieksa signs I encourage you to NOT go to the other teams board on the thread and say things like “he’s awful!”. Leave that to the main board.

Don't need to worry, he isn't getting signed.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad