Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Alex Stalock (1 year, $800k)

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Again, when the average goalie doesn’t play 40-50% of the season, it’s possible to play a ton of games and still be on IR in the pressbox for a lot of the season. Games played is pretty useless for determining if a goalie is injured. Teams have gone away from having goalies play 60 games, because they statistically weren’t doing as well in the playoffs.

You can Google the dates, injury, and his name.

Gibson was behind Andersen his first 3 seasons. Since then, he’s played in 52, 60, 58, 51, 35, 56, and 53 games. Identify from that his injury seasons? This is my point, GP doesn’t identify injuries in starting goaltenders unless they’re fairly catastrophic. Tweaking your groin repeatedly is still injury prone, you don’t have to miss catastrophic amounts of time, and I’m not going to bother pulling articles for you. There’s a groan from every poster whenever he leaves the ice holding his groin again, and it hasn’t been 6 years since that’s happened.

I asked you to show your work to support the claim that "He’s been on the injury report 8 times in the last 3 seasons, 17 times since 2017. That’s an above average number for goaltenders."

What is the basis for that claim? What is average and how are you calculating it?

You also didn't address my point that the numbers you're referring to - a random list of dates that is not official and doesn't account for how many days he was on the "list" - is not a reliable set of data.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I asked you to show your work to support the claim that "He’s been on the injury report 8 times in the last 3 seasons, 17 times since 2017. That’s an above average number for goaltenders."

What is the basis for that claim? What is average and how are you calculating it?

You also didn't address my point that the numbers you're referring to - a random list of dates that is not official and doesn't account for how many days he was on the "list" - is not a reliable set of data.
I honestly don’t care about this. Like I said, Google will confirm that there were those injuries on and about those dates released to the media. I’m not going to link them for you because you feel that website is somehow producing improper statistics when we both know that, if anything, the NHL hides injuries and the truth of his health is almost assuredly worse than whatever gets publicly released (as it is for 100% of NHL players).

Here, problem solved - In MY opinion, Gibson is prone to getting injuries more commonly than most other starter level goalies that I’ve watched play in the last 40 years. He isn’t Rick Pietro level glass, but he also frequently leaves and misses games because his lower body is prone to injuries. In my opinion. if you prefer to believe he’s an iron man, agree to disagree. I really don’t care to spend the time to research it, and I don’t really care if you have an opinion I don’t share, and I really have better things to do than to spend more than about 30 seconds finding “proof” that I don’t think is necessary.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I honestly don’t care about this. Like I said, Google will confirm that there were those injuries on and about those dates released to the media. I’m not going to link them for you because you feel that website is somehow producing improper statistics when we both know that, if anything, the NHL hides injuries and the truth of his health is almost assuredly worse than whatever gets publicly released (as it is for 100% of NHL players).

Here, problem solved - In MY opinion, Gibson is prone to getting injuries more commonly than most other starter level goalies that I’ve watched play in the last 40 years. He isn’t Rick Pietro level glass, but he also frequently leaves and misses games because his lower body is prone to injuries. In my opinion. if you prefer to believe he’s an iron man, agree to disagree. I really don’t care to spend the time to research it, and I don’t really care if you have an opinion I don’t share, and I really have better things to do than to spend more than about 30 seconds finding “proof” that I don’t think is necessary.

Yes - you absolutely are entitled to your opinions, no matter how unfounded and unsubstantiated they are.

Its odd that you're clinging to your position having now acknowledged that the "injury list" you referred to is totally unreliable because the NHL "hides injuries."

As ducks fans, we watch Gibson. We now know his body language and fixate every time he has a minor injury or even questionable body language. We follow all of the Ducks related tweets and news paper report. At the same time, we don't have the same focus on other goalies who, like Gibson, have nagging injuries or miss games. he's been pretty darn durable, particularly when you consider the high stress workload the last 3-5 years.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Yes - you absolutely are entitled to your opinions, no matter how unfounded and unsubstantiated they are.

Its odd that you're clinging to your position having now acknowledged that the "injury list" you referred to is totally unreliable because the NHL "hides injuries."

As ducks fans, we watch Gibson. We now know his body language and fixate every time he has a minor injury or even questionable body language. We follow all of the Ducks related tweets and news paper report. At the same time, we don't have the same focus on other goalies who, like Gibson, have nagging injuries or miss games. he's been pretty darn durable, particularly when you consider the high stress workload the last 3-5 years.
That is the exact opposite of what I said.

Agree to disagree, this is OT and pointless.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
If our defense is gonna suck as much as it, on paper, looks like it will - then I hope Stalock is with the big club and Dostal in the minors for most of the year. This is a good signing from that standpoint alone.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I don't think I'd waive Stalock at camp, teams that aren't happy with their goaltending, or get an injury in camp may swoop him up, I'd probably go into the season with Gibson/Stalock and just wait for an injury to give Dostal the nod. Then when whoever returns if we decide we need the roster spot, or Dostal nails the job, waive him midseason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad