Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Alex Stalock (1 year, $800k)

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
There are literally dozens of better options with more talent and upside. You seem to enjoy having a terrible team and want a 6th year of tanking.

Mr. Positive here somehow thinks this is an upgrade when it's obviously the opposite to save a few bucks. If you are satisfied, then you have really low expectations and probably think the Angels will make the playoffs.
Dozens, huh. Can you name them all, I'm just curious.

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
Good signing for the Ducks. With Gibson being injury prone, having an experienced 3rd goalie is important for the Ducks. He's also experienced in playing on crap teams going through a rebuild.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
1691506489396.png

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Hmmm. so may go with 3 goalies next year? Wouldn't be a bad idea. But Dostal needs to get his games in though more than Stalock.

I don't believe so.

Stalock gives the Ducks some vet experience in the net because after Gibby and Dostal, youths Clang and Alexander have a total of 21 AHL games, Clang with 5 and Alexander with 16.

In 2020-21, rookie netminders Dostal and OEE joined the Gulls. Stolarz was already in our system with Gibby and Miller at the NHL club. Stalock will take on the mantle of being the vet in the AHL while our ducklings get longer burns. This is a plus for the AHL club.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
He’s been on the injury report 8 times in the last 3 seasons, 17 times since 2017. That’s an above average number for goaltenders.

This is slightly misleading because the majority of those “injuries” the last 3 seasons were for very short periods of time, likely precautionary given past injuries. Only 2 of the instances were longer than 6 days, and the longest was 2 weeks. And a couple of them were for a day or two (i.e. he didn’t miss a game).

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
This is slightly misleading because the majority of those “injuries” the last 3 seasons were for very short periods of time, likely precautionary given past injuries. Only 2 of the instances were longer than 6 days, and the longest was 2 weeks. And a couple of them were for a day or two (i.e. he didn’t miss a game).
Yes, but it’s still a routine thing with him. goalie games played isn’t a terribly reliable way to determine if a goalie is injury prone either, when the average goalie only plays 50-ish games.

They also treat him with kid gloves now because of the severity of prior injuries, and likely pull him and sit him earlier than they might otherwise. Regardless, that’s many weeks every year that require a 3rd goaltender.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Seems that Dostal might be better served playing a lot of ahl games rather than sitting behind Gibson? There will be i juries and he can come up and play.

*assuming he (Dostal)is still waiver exempt?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Seems that Dostal might be better served playing a lot of ahl games rather than sitting behind Gibson? There will be i juries and he can come up and play.

*assuming he (Dostal)is still waiver exempt?

Dostal's had 3 years of seasoning in the AHL, while increasing his experience in the NHL for the past two seasons. And with Gibby officially wanting out of the org, then we should keep Dostal at the NHL level to be ready to take the reins whenever that happens, if it happens.

Reactions: Deuce22

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Yes, but it’s still a routine thing with him. goalie games played isn’t a terribly reliable way to determine if a goalie is injury prone either, when the average goalie only plays 50-ish games.

They also treat him with kid gloves now because of the severity of prior injuries, and likely pull him and sit him earlier than they might otherwise. Regardless, that’s many weeks every year that require a 3rd goaltender.

He’s been on the injury report 8 times in the last 3 seasons, 17 times since 2017. That’s an above average number for goaltenders.

This is a weird metric. Somehow being on a random injury list (which apprently doesn't even mean that Gibson was not available to play) is a more important than games actually played or long term injuries. By your logic, a guy who goes on the list once - the first day of the season - and stays on the list the entire season is less injury prone than a player who has two listed injuries, one day each.

I have no idea how the "injury list" is maintained by that website. It appears the NHL has no rules requiring disclosure of injuries. So the data is not consistent.

Injury report: When do professional sports teams have to reveal a player's status?.

Show your work - what was the average times on the list for a goalie? What was the average number of days on the list for goalies? I don't think you have any reliable data that speaks to that.

Gibson was injury plagued early in his career. The last 3-5 years, he's played a ton of games and not missed extended time. That's a pretty good track record, particularly when you consider the abuse he's taken from the ducks terrible play in front of him (e.g., facing the most shots in league history).

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
This is a weird metric. Somehow being on a random injury list (which apprently doesn't even mean that Gibson was not available to play) is a more important than games actually played or long term injuries. By your logic, a guy who goes on the list once - the first day of the season - and stays on the list the entire season is less injury prone than a player who has two listed injuries, one day each.

I have no idea how the "injury list" is maintained by that website. It appears the NHL has no rules requiring disclosure of injuries. So the data is not consistent.

Injury report: When do professional sports teams have to reveal a player's status?.

Show your work - what was the average times on the list for a goalie? What was the average number of days on the list for goalies? I don't think you have any reliable data that speaks to that.

Gibson was injury plagued early in his career. The last 3-5 years, he's played a ton of games and not missed extended time. That's a pretty good track record, particularly when you consider the abuse he's taken from the ducks terrible play in front of him (e.g., facing the most shots in league history).
Again, when the average goalie doesn’t play 40-50% of the season, it’s possible to play a ton of games and still be on IR in the pressbox for a lot of the season. Games played is pretty useless for determining if a goalie is injured. Teams have gone away from having goalies play 60 games, because they statistically weren’t doing as well in the playoffs.

You can Google the dates, injury, and his name.

Gibson was behind Andersen his first 3 seasons. Since then, he’s played in 52, 60, 58, 51, 35, 56, and 53 games. Identify from that his injury seasons? This is my point, GP doesn’t identify injuries in starting goaltenders unless they’re fairly catastrophic. Tweaking your groin repeatedly is still injury prone, you don’t have to miss catastrophic amounts of time, and I’m not going to bother pulling articles for you. There’s a groan from every poster whenever he leaves the ice holding his groin again, and it hasn’t been 6 years since that’s happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad