Post-Game Talk: Ducks @ Sens

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Ottawa, a team that has been 1 game above .500 for 32 games, has to be 11 games over .500 for the next 50 games (at a minimum) to make the playoffs. That is reality.

If anyone thinks that is likely, raise your hand.

So like 30-19-1? :laugh: Thats not happening.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Someone with some touch of reality tell me the none wet dream version of this game.

What the hell are you even talking about?

Ottawa played on of their best games of the year. Anaheim not so much. Or is that not pessimistic enough for your liking?

Go watch the highlights and don't depend on HFboards for your opinion if you need a reality check.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Impressed by Karlsson's game tonight. Very safe, but generated lots of offense

Yes, his attention to defense and reducing high risk forays will definitly improve his +/- stat. I think earler this season he was trying very hard to be aggressive offensively to help the offense, but it backfired due to taking high risk forays and moves. He needs to pick his spots better and he has started to do that. It helps that the second line has upped its game offensively and started scoring regularly. That takes some pressure off him.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This was probably mentioned, but I remember reading before the game, the posts "Will Michalek ever score again?" and "When was the last time we had a blowout win?"
Brilliant :laugh:

Awesome game to be at as well :nod:

Michalek did play better this game. He was skating faster and did get a very nice tip deflection of a pass from Karlsson to score. I hope he continues to play like that because before he was not getting the $4m job done!

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
What the hell are you even talking about?

Ottawa played on of their best games of the year. Anaheim not so much. Or is that not pessimistic enough for your liking?

Go watch the highlights and don't depend on HFboards for your opinion if you need a reality check.

My post was tougue in cheek fellow. But I do like the cut of your jib. Where may subscribe to your weekly newsletter?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
My post was tougue in cheek fellow. But I do like the cut of your jib. Where may subscribe to your weekly newsletter?

Ah well my face is a little red. Your sarcasm went clear over my head.

Don't feel like going back but I'm pretty sure there were some actual complaints about the optimism in here. We can just apply my post to them ;)

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
Was MacLean actually in attendance? That seems very odd. Usually fired coaches tend to stay as far away from their old teams as possible (except for MacTavish in Edmonton, lol).

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Watched the game this morning. Nice effort, liked the lines and ice-time, some nice finish but an asterisk b/c of a Rusty Bryz - but I will take it. Some nights we play well and lose, so it's nice to play well and win.

EK had a strong game again, aside from that one silly activation that led to the first Getzlaf goal. No need to read rush there and he got caught up and the rest of the Sens were already thinking about the end of the period. He doesn't have to do that, especially in the last minute with a big lead, to be effective.

Really nice to see the Sens top six just rolling along. Both lines are playing well now and this is as confident as I've been in a long time with whoever comes over the boards. The bottom six, well I really like the Legwand vet line as that's a nice combination of guys who can chip in and also can contribute on special teams. They're a little pricey for what they do, but they're vets and it wouldn't make a difference if we weren't all worrying about money all the time (as in if we spent more we could shore up deficiencies, but we don't have more because we have ten million dollars on the fourth line). We're a Methot away from a decent D core. Knock on wood, cross fingers, pray to your gods - we need Methot back or someone like him.

Anderson is awesome.

Calls against Greening and Zibanejad were brutal weaksauce.

Clapperman x2 was an unexpected bonus.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Was MacLean actually in attendance? That seems very odd. Usually fired coaches tend to stay as far away from their old teams as possible (except for MacTavish in Edmonton, lol).

Maybe he was there to punch Dean Brown in the face. You don't talk **** about a Maratimer and think you can get away with it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
9MM scored early and that definitely help elevate his game

I want to see him play as well (or close to) in a game where he isn't scoring

I know he can do it, he's done it plenty of times before

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Its nice having two lines going at the same time. Seems like its been awhile. Even last season it seemed the Turris line and Spezza line were never going at the same time.

Karlsson2Turris*

Its nice having two lines going at the same time. Seems like its been awhile. Even last season it seemed the Turris line and Spezza line were never going at the same time.

Everyone has been playing well in the top six except for MacArthur. Guy has been invisible lately.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Me neither. He's a hockey guy at a hockey game. It's called being a fan. Says a lot about him.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So apparently our Corsi numbers weren't all that great last night (according to our chap on Hockey Buzz). To the advanced stats crowd, how bad was it and does this reinforce the notion that Bryzgalov being rusty was a key part of the win?

For what it's worth I thought the team played rather well outside of the second half of the first and the first bit of the third.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I watched a bad feed of this game, so I really have no clue how my sens played or Anaheim. To find out I came here to see what people were saying. After reading two pages I came upon this crazy post. How dare you sir, tell me my amazing team had this by luck. I shall challenge you to a duel!
But for real. Someone with some touch of reality tell me the none wet dream version of this game.

The sens played well they got off to a quick start and were opportunistic, which is a trait teams need to have. Anaheim looked sluggish and slow until about the 10 minute mark of the first and they were chasing the game on the road with a goalie that looks like he needed about 2 more weeks in the AHL on a conditioning stint. Anderson handled the Anaheim surge after the sens went up 2-0, at one point the shots were 7-2 for Ottawa then they were 13 to 7 Anaheim 3 minutes into the second.

Getzlaf's post game interview really summed it up. 'They came out hard and we didn't have our legs coming off the bus from Montreal'. They only play in Montreal once a season after a win they probably had a couple pops id imagine, many of the euro's probably wanted to see the 'culture' of the city. Getzlaf played guilty hockey the rest of his team... Not so much.

Now I don't want people around here to think I am being negative I am being realistic about the game, Anaheim is first for a reason they are pretty banged up Perry and Lindholm weren't playing. That being said Ottawa took advantage of the situation and it was a really fun game to be at. The Zibanejad goal was laughable your average mens league goalie could have had that one. Stone's rebound goal was horrendous technique by Bryz where it looked like his body just couldn't get into a butterfly and he did the old Billy Smith one knee up.

Turris's goal was beautiful, he was very smart about it he identified the forward playing D and exposed him.

Hoffmans first goal hit a shaft and the second one the ref interfered with the D man by accident and it sent Ryan and him on a 2-1 which they executed perfectly. I had a great view of this goal Ryan was really happy he came at Hoff tongue out loving it after Hoff was celebrating in the corner.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Me neither. He's a hockey guy at a hockey game. It's called being a fan. Says a lot about him.

Who knows what opportunities are being presented to him. He might know he's joining a team next year so he's doing some scouting.

I still have a feeling he'll be with Babcock again next year barring the Sharks dumping McClellan.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Hoffmans first goal hit a shaft and the second one the ref interfered with the D man by accident and it sent Ryan and him on a 2-1 which they executed perfectly. I had a great view of this goal Ryan was really happy he came at Hoff tongue out loving it after Hoff was celebrating in the corner.

Meh, the ref interference didn't play as a large role in the goal as you make it sound. Fowler got beat before the interference and I don't think he would have made a play even if the ref wasn't there.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Meh, the ref interference didn't play as a large role in the goal as you make it sound. Fowler got beat before the interference and I don't think he would have made a play even if the ref wasn't there.

As I make it sound? It happened, I agree he would have got by him but there definitely would have been back pressure which means the D man could have forced a pass instead of backing up. Fowler is an incredible skater.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
As I make it sound? It happened, I agree he would have got by him but there definitely would have been back pressure which means the D man could have forced a pass instead of backing up. Fowler is an incredible skater.

Yeah, it would have still been a 2 on 1 even without the ref interference. There wasn't enough ice for Fowler to catch up no matter how good a skater he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad