GDT: Ducks @ Sens 4:30 PM PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Weird you would pick a Finnish keeper as a better prospect..... Hate to break it to you but I don't think you'll find many who agree. Gibson is considered by almost all legit rankings as the #1 keeper prospct in the world.

Ducks are pretty well set for years to come in net with Andersen and Gibson.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Weird you would pick a Finnish keeper as a better prospect..... Hate to break it to you but I don't think you'll find many who agree. Gibson is considered by almost all legit rankings as the #1 keeper prospct in the world.

Ducks are pretty well set for years to come in net with Andersen and Gibson.

LOL, it is a Finnish prospect! I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, thinking "meh, that's probably a Czech name or something." But, nope. Ultranationalist to the core.

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
Seeing minnesota games last season because watching Haula, Koivu, Granlund and they have more more early games (/better timezone)..

..Wondering why we signed him since the announce of the deal.

Sucks we miss real #1 goalie. I get that we needed some one but Mr. Universe doesn't seem to be the hoccus poccus solution (watching the tape delay atm). We could go far with guy like Rinne or Rask.. Next mission for the team is to draft real goalie top prospects.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: We already have in John Gibson

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Gibson is hardly best goalie prospect, maybe could be because of lack of really promising stars. Saros is probably more promising after Winning WJC gold standing on he's head on weaker team. Give Gibson the Edge cause he has some NHL experience.

Gibson could very well be "the real deal" later. No reason to be very sure about it. If some really good goalie prospect pops up dratable, one very good goalie prospect isn't reason to not go for him, as we can't know if he will be very good or not.

Andersen isn't enough right now. So we don't really have real #1 goalie. Some one as good as pre-vertigo hiller and we could go pretty far.

Sorry but you obviously have national bias, and one tournament doesn't decide who's the top prospect. Gibson is widely considered to be the better prospect and is arguably the top goalie prospect in the world. Saros will have to prove his size isn't a detriment at the NHL level, while Gibson has no such red flags.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Gibson is hardly best goalie prospect, maybe could be because of lack of really promising stars.

Gibson and Vasilevskiy are absolutely the best goalie prospects, it's not even a question. Saros isn't close to being as promising. Goalies are hard to project, generally, and things could change, but as far as prospects go, Gibson/Vasilevskiy absolutely are the absolute best.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I know Finnish prospects and not so much others, its no secrect. I told you Vatanen's gonna be good and he is proving it, Saros looks promising, only lacks size for goalie. You act like you assume me to stay up nights and watch American Junior series or ****. I bring up Finnish names because kids from this country are the ones I get to follow. Or maybe you are nationalist, its so horrible when some one talks bad about american prospect for american :sarcasm:

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
I know Finnish prospects and not so much others, its no secrect. I told you Vatanen's gonna be good and he is proving it, Saros looks promising, only lacks size for goalie. You act like you assume me to stay up nights and watch American Junior series or ****. I bring up Finnish names because kids from this country are the ones I get to follow. Or maybe you are nationalist, its so horrible when some one talks bad about american prospect for american :sarcasm:

So if you only watch Finnish prospects you have no basis for comparison regarding how *good* they really are.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
So if you only watch Finnish prospects you have no basis for comparison regarding how *good* they really are.

Well you guys won't be watching alot of Liiga or SHL games neither, I can be pretty sure about it, so how do you do your comparasion? WJC's don't seem to count, but if they do, I watch them.

Sorry but you obviously have national bias, and one tournament doesn't decide who's the top prospect. Gibson is widely considered to be the better prospect and is arguably the top goalie prospect in the world. Saros will have to prove his size isn't a detriment at the NHL level, while Gibson has no such red flags.

I already said in 1st message, that Gibson gets the benefit of being better goalie, as he already has NHL experience. My point was, Gibbson doesn't look like 90% sure solution that we can ride on. He could or could not be star goalie in the future, so keep drafting imo (if really promising prospects from any country do come available). Yeah, Gibson is good prospect but do you think he seems like "sure bet"?

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
There's no such thing as a goalie prospect who's a "sure bet". With the state of the farm team you'd have to assume they'll be drafting another one this year.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
There's no such thing as a goalie prospect who's a "sure bet". With the state of the farm team you'd have to assume they'll be drafting another one this year.

Well my point before hell got loose! I was talking about our goalie situation which I think is weakest spot atm, as it's very important to be top notch for any team.. hadn't I mention any finnish player and I would probably have been saved for that. :help: I said Gibson is hardly world's best prospect because it sounded like he is godlike and we don't need to think for any one else.

Last edited:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Gibson is hardly best goalie prospect, maybe could be because of lack of really promising stars. Saros is probably more promising after Winning WJC gold standing on he's head on weaker team. Give Gibson the Edge as better goalie because he has some NHL experience.

Gibson could very well be "the real deal" later. No reason to be very sure about it. If some really good goalie prospect pops up dratable, one very good goalie prospect isn't reason to not go for him, as we can't know if he will turn out to be very good #1 goalie or not.

Andersen isn't enough right now. So we don't really have real #1 goalie. Some one as good as pre-vertigo hiller and we could go pretty far.

Gibson is pretty much the consensus 1st or 2nd best goalie prospect in the world by everyone and Vasilevski is the one who challenges him for 1st.

Edit: Also, wasn't it the Swedish goaltender Dansk who won Best Goalie of the WJHC? Saros made the All-Star Team, but it sounds like he wasn't even seen as the best goalie of the tournament.

Last edited:

DigitalSea

Thank you Landon
Jun 13, 2011
Anaheim, CA
Even if you want to compare WJC performances, Gibson won MVP and gold pretty handidly. One of the best international goalie performances I've seen to be frank.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Edit: Also, wasn't it the Swedish goaltender Dansk who won Best Goalie of the WJHC? Saros made the All-Star Team, but it sounds like he wasn't even seen as the best goalie of the tournament.

What really stood out in Saros play was the way Finnish Junior team was struggling but managed to get the right W's and the gold, not least because of great goalie play. The offensive power outside Teräväinen line was almost non existent in important games. Lets agree that Gibson is#1 prospect in the world in goalies right, its fine to me. But it's not like we aren't currently missing #1 goalie or that he would be sure bet to be star.

It's not like those nominations even always go right in international tournaments. MVP in my avatar was also widely criticized even though he made good points ect in the games.

Sad that some people have the problem with player nationalities and me bringing up players that I know from my own nationality. Some one calling me nationalist, while being from states himself, rooting for american prospect to be unquestionable number #1 in the world and ducks not needing to draft any one because of him, while being actually serious and hostile at me is just sad.

Last edited:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Sad that some people have the problem with player nationalities and me bringing up players that I know from my own nationality.

That wasn't the problem. The problem was you saying that Gibson was "hardly the best goaltending prospect", when you lateron admitted you don't know enough about him or other prospects in that position to judge that matter. But you still made that statement, and threw in a name of a (admittedly quite good) Finnish prospect. That is factually proving some bias based on your familarity, which happens to correlate with nationality. There's nothing wrong with expressing that you value the player that you're familiar with. Your mistake was that judgement on Gibson, which you know you shouldn't have made since you don't know prospects beyond Finland enough to really make such a call. That was what started this. You are really not the victim in this discussion.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
He is kind of right in that we could use some goalie prospects for depth. Who is going to man the AHL team when Gibson is eventually promoted? But they would only be depth goalies, and should be lower draft picks. Between Andersen and Gibson, we will probably have a #1 for many years.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
He is kind of right in that we could use some goalie prospects for depth. Who is going to man the AHL team when Gibson is eventually promoted? But they would only be depth goalies, and should be lower draft picks. Between Andersen and Gibson, we will probably have a #1 for many years.

Yeah our goalie depth evaporated in a hurry. What's worse, I suspect we won't keep both Andersen and Gibson once they're both on the same level. Because it wouldn't be fair or some crap.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Sad that some people have the problem with player nationalities and me bringing up players that I know from my own nationality. Some one calling me nationalist, while being from states himself, rooting for american prospect to be unquestionable number #1 in the world and ducks not needing to draft any one because of him, while being actually serious and hostile at me is just sad.

I'm the only person from the States that called you a nationalist, and I did none of those things. You're pretty far removed from reality here.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think people are getting way too hung up on the "he chose a Fin" thing and are missing his real point - that the Ducks are currently lacking a true #1 goalie. Gibson being the current top goalie prospect doesn't mean he will pan out at a Rask/Rinne level, and in fact I'm not sure I've seen anyone project him to. It doesn't even mean he will pan out to be a legitimate starter. Also, as mentioned, the cupboard is pretty bare in Norfolk.

All the nationalist talk (on both sides) lately is tiresome.

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
What really stood out in Saros play was the way Finnish Junior team was struggling but managed to get the right W's and the gold, not least because of great goalie play. The offensive power outside Teräväinen line was almost non existent in important games. Lets agree that Gibson is#1 prospect in the world in goalies right, its fine to me. But it's not like we aren't currently missing #1 goalie or that he would be sure bet to be star.

It's not like those nominations even always go right in international tournaments. MVP in my avatar was also widely criticized even though he made good points ect in the games.

No one is making you out to be the villain you are describing, we are disagreeing with you on a hockey message board. Everyone likes players from their own country to succeed, myself included, but it doesn't mean people who don't agree with you are trying to ethnically cleanse our prospect pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad