GDT: Ducks @ Sens 4:30 PM PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
What really stood out in Saros play was the way Finnish Junior team was struggling but managed to get the right W's and the gold, not least because of great goalie play. The offensive power outside Teräväinen line was almost non existent in important games. Lets agree that Gibson is#1 prospect in the world in goalies right, its fine to me. But it's not like we aren't currently missing #1 goalie or that he would be sure bet to be star.

It's not like those nominations even always go right in international tournaments. MVP in my avatar was also widely criticized even though he made good points ect in the games.

Sad that some people have the problem with player nationalities and me bringing up players that I know from my own nationality. Some one calling me nationalist, while being from states himself, rooting for american prospect to be unquestionable number #1 in the world and ducks not needing to draft any one because of him, while being actually serious and hostile at me is just sad.

Don't play the victim card.

To begin with, Gibson being American isn't really a consideration here. A better point would be that he's an Anaheim prospect, and one people are excited about.

Secondly, the issue here isn't that Saros is Finnish. The issue is that you outright dismissed Gibson as the best goaltending prospect in the world, and then named a goaltender that you have more experience with. His nationality is easily explained by the fact you can see more of him. But your dismissal of Gibson? That's not so easy to explain. Gibson is universally seen as the #1 or #2 goaltending prospect in the world, and the only goaltender that is seen as being on his level right now is Vasilevski(who is, by the way, Russian). This isn't just Anaheim, or their fans saying this. It's professionals from around the world. Scouts, analysts, coaches, etc... they all rave about Gibson, and many think he can become one of the top goaltenders in the league. Whether that happens remains to be seen, but it's as high of praise as you'll really see for a goaltending prospect who hasn't established himself in the NHL.

You make a good point about drafting for goaltending. Andersen is an NHL player now, Hiller is gone, and Gibson was in the NHL to begin the season. It sounds like he'll be back in Norfolk, for at least a bit, but Anaheim's prospect pool, once considered strong in net, really isn't anymore. I'm sure the scouting staff is aware of this. I don't believe they would ever feel the need to not draft a goaltender in the draft just because they have Gibson. That isn't how drafting works. You draft who you feel is the best player available, which is why you have a scouting staff to begin with. If Anaheim were in position to draft a great goaltending prospect(as believed by the scouts) they likely would, and should, make the pick.

You don't make a good one regarding Gibson, though. There is no such thing as a sure thing prospect goaltender. I also think you contradict yourself by saying that the title of best goaltending prospect makes Gibson sound godlike, and then you insert Saros as the best probable goaltending prospect. By your own argument, that would suggest Saros is a sure thing, and it would make him sound godlike. Like I said, though, there is no such thing as a sure thing goaltending prospect.

The fact that you're emphasizing the nationality of these players is not helping your argument either. Do you think anyone here cares that Getzlaf is Canadian? Do you think we'd like him better if he were American? No. No one gives a **** about where he's from. You can be sure that this applies to Gibson as well. We care about the team he plays for. I understand that the nationality of a player can be a bigger deal in Finland, and I respect that, but your assumption that the same is true here, for us, is a mistaken one. You might find things much easier to understand if you throw nationality aside in these discussions, because we don't care, and I think it's become a source of frustration for some people here that it always seems to come back to that. It isn't relevant to our opinions of a player in the NHL, and the only time you'll ever seen it being relevant is during the international tournaments(and even then, a lot of the focus is still on Anaheim players/prospects, not just the US team).

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I know Finnish prospects and not so much others, its no secrect. I told you Vatanen's gonna be good and he is proving it, Saros looks promising, only lacks size for goalie. You act like you assume me to stay up nights and watch American Junior series or ****. I bring up Finnish names because kids from this country are the ones I get to follow. Or maybe you are nationalist, its so horrible when some one talks bad about american prospect for american :sarcasm:

If you mostly follow Finnish prospects, how can you be in any position to discredit Gibson as one of the premier goaltending prospects in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad