OTT 1st 2019
Zadorov
for
Lindholm

No chance AVs trade the Sens 1st unless Gibson is part of the deal

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
How do the Canes get in on Rakell?

And has he been hurt this year? Any potential reason for the drastic drop in stats suddenly?

The entire team is under-performing. That's about all we've got so far. Maybe we'll find out he's dealing with an injury or something, but I think it's more likely the team just can't get it up for Carlyle right now and there is a lot of frustration and discontent in the locker room.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
The entire team is under-performing. That's about all we've got so far. Maybe we'll find out he's dealing with an injury or something, but I think it's more likely the team just can't get it up for Carlyle right now and there is a lot of frustration and discontent in the locker room.

Fair enough, so what would it take from Canes to get Rakell?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
i've edited your post to reflect colorado's current stance. Post lottery I could see the pick being in play for the right player, but until then no chance the pick is moved.

You're likely right removing the Sens 1st.

AVs need immediate Goalie help and unless they can via Trade or UFA this could take years.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Fair enough, so what would it take from Canes to get Rakell?

Tough question to answer. I would prefer not to move him. 4 years at under $4M, with his play? I'd prefer to keep him, unless a deal that is just too good to pass up comes along.

But I'm also concerned that Murray will try to do exactly that, and he'll be less interested in getting the return he should because he just wants to make changes.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Do retools ever work? The Ducks are to old and to slow, they should have started a rebuild 2 years ago.

The players that are old and slow have NMCs: Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler. Eaves is not tradeable for health reasons.

The rest of the roster is not old and slow. That is getting thrown around way too much on hfboards.

sunsetsuperhuman

Mar 9, 2018

He also missed basically all of December with an injury.

Reactions: Moosetache

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I would tend to agree that outside the top 2 no one is going to step in and make an immediate impact.

I just don’t think Sakic moves that pick until he knows where it is. I could see him packaging like 4th overall + for something big but I definitely think he’ll wait till after the lottery

He’s shown he’s not afraid to wait it out. Mack is going to stay and they’re going to pay him what he wants. Goalies are a crapshoot and not worth giving up major assets for.

They’re better off staying the course for another year or two as Winnipeg/Nashville are coming into cap crunches with important players on the wrong side of 30. Their window is close but I don’t think it starts next season

How fast winnipeg's window has gone from "just opening" to "slamming shut in a hurry" is one of the reasons why I think we need to be proactive about opening our window & giving us as many swings at the big prize before the cap cull that'll happen by 2023/2024...cause it's not just MacK getting a serious raise by then, it's the long term deals for Rantanen, Makar & Girard, it's Landy & Barrie needing raises, it's the OTT pick coming off his ELC that summer or the next one, it's paying for competent goaltending, etc. The #s are going to start to balloon & making keeping cup worth depth impossible until the cap rises enough for those new contracts to become more manageable.

Do I expect Joe to do it? Nah, that would interfere with nap-time. But this is a hot point of debate amongst our fanbase, with some who want to be proactive about opening our window, and some who are content to just wait for the youth & let the cap sort itself out.

PS - I'm not so sure about MacK staying being a guarantee. He's hyper-competitive & has commented about wanting to bring talent to Colorado so that we can actually start winning, because not being able to contend clear wears on him. Add the outburst we saw with Bednar not that long ago to all that, plus Tavares breaking the stigma against NHL stars taking ownership of their own careers in FA...and if we haven't put a contender around MacK by the time they start talking extension with him, I won't be shocked at all if MacKinnon asks for a trade to a contender.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Yeah the Avs are going to easily but respectfully decline that one. 0 chance they do that.

The rest aren't the worst deals I have ever seen though.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
How fast winnipeg's window has gone from "just opening" to "slamming shut in a hurry" is one of the reasons why I think we need to be proactive about opening our window & giving us as many swings at the big prize before the cap cull that'll happen by 2023/2024...cause it's not just MacK getting a serious raise by then, it's the long term deals for Rantanen, Makar & Girard, it's Landy & Barrie needing raises, it's the OTT pick coming off his ELC that summer or the next one, it's paying for competent goaltending, etc. The #s are going to start to balloon & making keeping cup worth depth impossible until the cap rises enough for those new contracts to become more manageable.

Do I expect Joe to do it? Nah, that would interfere with nap-time. But this is a hot point of debate amongst our fanbase, with some who want to be proactive about opening our window, and some who are content to just wait for the youth & let the cap sort itself out.

PS - I'm not so sure about MacK staying being a guarantee. He's hyper-competitive & has commented about wanting to bring talent to Colorado so that we can actually start winning, because not being able to contend clear wears on him. Add the outburst we saw with Bednar not that long ago to all that, plus Tavares breaking the stigma against NHL stars taking ownership of their own careers in FA...and if we haven't put a contender around MacK by the time they start talking extension with him, I won't be shocked at all if MacKinnon asks for a trade to a contender.

I don’t disagree with any of this. There are arguments to be made for both directions

The one thing I will say about the Tavares signing is that very rarely will the perfect storm come about where a contending team can afford to add a player of Mack or Tavares’ pedigree through FA. Usually if you’re already good you can’t absorb that cap hit. Toronto just had the right mix of ELC superstars and expiring contracts, but it’s still going to be tough for them to work around

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
He also missed basically all of December with an injury.

An ankle injury too, if memory serves, and those tend to linger. I think there is a strong probability that he isn't 100% right now, but that's usually the kind of thing we hear about later.

That being said, I wouldn't say he was great even prior to that. He was one of many players who wasn't performing to expectations. I'm trying to be honest about my assessment, and not just dismiss his play. It's entirely possible he could have settled in and improved after an inconsistent start, and just wasn't given the opportunity because of the injury. But how do we know either way?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don’t disagree with any of this. There are arguments to be made for both directions

The one thing I will say about the Tavares signing is that very rarely will the perfect storm come about where a contending team can afford to add a player of Mack or Tavares’ pedigree through FA. Usually if you’re already good you can’t absorb that cap hit. Toronto just had the right mix of ELC superstars and expiring contracts, but it’s still going to be tough for them to work around

The JT thing took a perfect storm...but Hockey has long been an outlier in terms of player movement/empowerment when compared with bigger sports like Soccer or even Basketball. So as the sport continues to grow it becomes less niche & has to conform more & more to the realities of global sports. Which is why I don't know if JT will be the one who opened the floodgates, but I know that he won't be the last franchise player to leave the team that drafted him because they've failed to put a winning team around him.

So I can't not worry about MacK being the next franchise guy to "take his talents to south beach"

Reactions: crackdown44

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
So it seems there are mixed reactions, I'll try to add a bit more explaining:

1) Lindholm

I think that our D could survive without him, despite him being the team's best defender. I think this draft is the time to find Getzlaf's heir; I don't think anything else on Anaheim can bring us a Top5 lotto pick and hence why I chose to move him. We cannot keep pushing the problem down the road and while I really like Steel and Lundestrom I see neither with Franchise #1C NHL potential.

2) Rakell

I just personally don't like his inconsistency and play style; nothing to do with this season's performance. I also think if Lindholm got moved, it'd affect him emotionally as the two seem very close, so getting a younger scoring forward + for him seems like it makes some sense. I actually did think of Carolina but could find nothing there which fit (they obv aren't moving Svech for Rakell). I thought his style would fit well with the Jets, but as noted in the OP, it is the move I had most doubts about (re: WPG needs)

3) Henrique

Another player I like, but prior threads have shown BUF fans may have interest in him and I think if these 4 deals were done, between Getz, Steel, Lundestrom + the chance we may draft a Top C who can play right away, I felt he is expensive to keep. I think Scandella needs the right system but can return to close-to-MIN form and he'd add a vet presence and depth to our Lindholm-less blue line.

4) Silf

Typical deadline rental deal. Some think he won't return a 1st, some think it might be 2nd + good prospect, some think less. I don't think Bob would or should 'open the wallet up' for a player like him, and Silf may wish to play somewhere he gets more of an offensive role (even if he is stellar in two way play).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
[snip]

I think that our D could survive without him, despite him being the team's best defender. I think this draft is the time to find Getzlaf's heir; I don't think anything else on Anaheim can bring us a Top5 lotto pick and hence why I chose to move him. We cannot keep pushing the problem down the road and while I really like Steel and Lundestrom I see neither with Franchise #1C NHL potential.

[snip]

Now I totally get if moving him is a non-starter, but Gibson could get that Ottawa pick+. Not to mention that without Gibson, your own pick would have a great chance of ending up top 5 as well...

Just saying...

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't think COL does the 1st.
I don't think ANA does the Rakell one.

The other ones look ok.

JTRAIN1966

Jul 18, 2012
Imperial, Mo.
From a Blues fan perspective . I can't see any scenario where the Avs give up that Ottawa 1st for anything less than say.......Stone from Ottawa .

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Several years ago it was reported sakic wanted to trade lindholm for landeskog straight up

What is a realistic package Colorado could put together for a fringe number 1 dman who’s 25 locked up with term?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad