Proposal: Ducks re-tool (4 trades)

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Here are the moves I would make to re-tool the Ducks for next season and beyond, while trying to stay realistic (ie. not moving the unmovable Kesler, Perry, Eaves, not worrying about Fowler's NTC, etc...)

The only one I'm not too sure about is the Jets one; I think Rakell would fit well in both age , play style and salary structure but I won't argue if they prefer keeping Vesa. In that case, I'm open to suggestions for a similar deal with any other team interested in Rocky?

TRADES:
--------------------------------------
DUCKS - AVS:
OTT 1st 2019
Zadorov
for
Lindholm
DUCKS - "CONTENDER"
Silfverberg
for
Late 1st-round pick 2019
DUCKS - BUFFALO
Henrique
for
Scandella
BUF 2nd-round pick 2020
DUCKS - JETS
Rakell
for
Vesalainen
WPG 2nd-round pick 2019

Centre: Getzlaf, Steel, Lundestrom, Rowney, Kesler*
Wing: Vesalainen, Terry, Ritchie, Kase, Sprong, Comtois, Jones, Perry, Shore, Eaves*
Defense: Fowler, Manson, Montour, Zadorov, Scandella, Larsson, Mahura
Goalie: Gibson, Vet UFA (Miller for another year?)

2019 Picks: 3x first-round (two being lotto), 2x second-round
2020 Picks: 1x first-round, 2x second-round

* Possible LTIRetire

This definitely moves Anaheim towards today's game (assuming a new coach in the summer comes with it), has them in solid budgetary and cap position, and can hopefully find, with the two lotto picks, a franchise 1C of the future.

Thoughts ?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The CO would be very tempting for the Avs....they'd have to do it. I don't see why the Ducks, do, though. I sometimes think that Lindholm gets overrated, but he' s still really, really, good.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
WPG aren't giving up vesalainen for Rakell. If OTT 1st turns out to be 1 or 2 OA then COL aren't interested and if it turns out to be later ANH aren't interested.

Cant comment on the other trades tbh.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Do retools ever work? The Ducks are to old and to slow, they should have started a rebuild 2 years ago.

Reactions: Byrddog

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Rakell is a nice winger, on a good contract, but the Jets don't need wingers. Vesalainen's ELC is more of a need for the Jets going forward.

Reactions: Huffer

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
The COL and WPG trades dont make any sense for the Ducks. Why trade a 25 year old top pairing defensemen and 25 year old top line winger, both of which have term on great contracts?

Those are the exact guys they should be building around, not trading.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The lindholm one doesn’t make sense for either team

Why doesn’t it make sense for the Avs? We need to fix our goaltending and either add a star to anchor a scoring line around, or a true #1 blueliner. I’m probably Nikita’s biggest fan, but Lindholm would be a huge upgrade.

Plus with Lindholm in tow it would be easier to dangle EJ for a scoring line forward once Makar is settled in.

From an Avs perspective our only question would be what we could do to expand the deal to include Rakell or Gibson, if they truly went into a rebuild.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Why doesn’t it make sense for the Avs? We need to fix our goaltending and either add a star to anchor a scoring line around, or a true #1 blueliner. I’m probably Nikita’s biggest fan, but Lindholm would be a huge upgrade.

Plus with Lindholm in tow it would be easier to dangle EJ for a scoring line forward once Makar is settled in.

I just think that Makar is going to be a #1 and that adding a guy like Hughes or Kakko would be huge for depth scoring. Ottawa pick is going to have a really good chance of being top 3

Reactions: JTRAIN1966

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Are you sure "retooling" is what categorizes selling some assets for lesser than their worth?

Retooling is jargon for 'My team somehow went over 100 points last season and I can't possibly say we are rebuilding'. HF posters will not admit that their team can fall so far so fast without it being a cosmic reason. But at least they can fire the coach first, see if the new guy can turn it around and all is well.

You know, like Weight taking over for Capuano . . . of course the next season the real reason came out . . . the playoff run was the outlier, not the norm.

Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler have played a LOT of hard hockey minutes and the toll is starting to take hold. They can't carry the load anymore and the next generation needs to step up and take over and that's going to require some really painful decisions. Even Gibson is starting to mentally tire now.

A quick retool is the miracle, a longer rebuild is more likely. Kesler is pretty much untradeable and Perry needs to prove he isn't rapidly declining before anything can be done there too. Getzlaf is the best piece to start the rebuild. The defense is sound on paper and Gibson is still young. It's the forwards that really need overhauling.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
A quick retool is the miracle, a longer rebuild is more likely. Kesler is pretty much untradeable and Perry needs to prove he isn't rapidly declining before anything can be done there too. Getzlaf is the best piece to start the rebuild. The defense is sound on paper and Gibson is still young. It's the forwards that really need overhauling.

Normally this is true, and could be in this case. But I would hold off on a full rebuild until next year. The players playing badly is basically due to bad coaching, but it seems like the players have quit on the coach as well. If the first 20-30 games go like this year, then start selling. Kesler is insured, so just LTIR him for money relief. Some of the young guys should be ready to step up after (hopefully) a nice playoff run in the AHL. Let the vets help guide them in a better system/environment next season

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
1. Trade Silfverberg but he won't return nearly what Ducks fans think he should cause it's a buyers market for pending UFA forwards.
2. Put Carlyle out of his misery.
3. Get the quality young forwards that are in the AHL some NHL reps.

Deal with the rest in the off-season and keep in mind this team won't be fixed by next season.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Here are the moves I would make to re-tool the Ducks for next season and beyond, while trying to stay realistic (ie. not moving the unmovable Kesler, Perry, Eaves, not worrying about Fowler's NTC, etc...)

The only one I'm not too sure about is the Jets one; I think Rakell would fit well in both age , play style and salary structure but I won't argue if they prefer keeping Vesa. In that case, I'm open to suggestions for a similar deal with any other team interested in Rocky?

TRADES:
DUCKS - AVS:
OTT 1st 2019
Zadorov
for
Lindholm
DUCKS - "CONTENDER"
Silfverberg
for
Late 1st-round pick 2019
DUCKS - BUFFALO
Henrique
for
Scandella
BUF 2nd-round pick 2020
DUCKS - JETS
Rakell
for
Vesalainen
WPG 2nd-round pick 2019

Centre: Getzlaf, Steel, Lundestrom, Rowney, Kesler*
Wing: Vesalainen, Terry, Ritchie, Kase, Sprong, Comtois, Jones, Perry, Shore, Eaves*
Defense: Fowler, Manson, Montour, Zadorov, Scandella, Larsson, Mahura
Goalie: Gibson, Vet UFA (Miller for another year?)

2019 Picks: 3x first-round (two being lotto), 2x second-round
2020 Picks: 1x first-round, 2x second-round

* Possible LTIRetire

This definitely moves Anaheim towards today's game (assuming a new coach in the summer comes with it), has them in solid budgetary and cap position, and can hopefully find, with the two lotto picks, a franchise 1C of the future.

Thoughts ?
This is the first time that someone’s made one of these and I haven’t hated it. For the most part, it addresses needs for all parties.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just think that Makar is going to be a #1 and that adding a guy like Hughes or Kakko would be huge for depth scoring. Ottawa pick is going to have a really good chance of being top 3

Hughes or Kakko would be great, but the lottery makes it likelier than not that we don’t land either of them...even with our own pick dropping into the lottery spots.

And though I really like Turcotte, Cozens & Podkolzin, they are all ~2 seasons away from being impact NHLers...by which point we’d be nearing the end of MacK’s contract. At which point we’d need to double his salary...if we even convince him to stay.

So unfortunately Joe can’t just continue sitting on his hands & wait for the Sens pick unless the lotto gods hook us up. It need not be a trade using that pick; i.e. if we can flip EJ for Kadri & sign Stone or KArlsson, while addressing the goaltending by drafting Knight with our pick & using Jost + our 2020 1st to trade for someone like Quick to solidify the spot for 3-4 years...then there would be no pressure to rush that prospect or trade that pick.

But we need a star blueliner or a star forward...as well as a solution in goal...for next season.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Hughes or Kakko would be great, but the lottery makes it likelier than not that we don’t land either of them...even with our own pick dropping into the lottery spots.

And though I really like Turcotte, Cozens & Podkolzin, they are all ~2 seasons away from being impact NHLers...by which point we’d be nearing the end of MacK’s contract. At which point we’d need to double his salary...if we even convince him to stay.

So unfortunately Joe can’t just continue sitting on his hands & wait for the Sens pick unless the lotto gods hook us up. It need not be a trade using that pick; i.e. if we can flip EJ for Kadri & sign Stone or KArlsson, while addressing the goaltending by drafting Knight with our pick & using Jost + our 2020 1st to trade for someone like Quick to solidify the spot for 3-4 years...then there would be no pressure to rush that prospect or trade that pick.

But we need a star blueliner or a star forward...as well as a solution in goal...for next season.

I would tend to agree that outside the top 2 no one is going to step in and make an immediate impact.

I just don’t think Sakic moves that pick until he knows where it is. I could see him packaging like 4th overall + for something big but I definitely think he’ll wait till after the lottery

He’s shown he’s not afraid to wait it out. Mack is going to stay and they’re going to pay him what he wants. Goalies are a crapshoot and not worth giving up major assets for.

They’re better off staying the course for another year or two as Winnipeg/Nashville are coming into cap crunches with important players on the wrong side of 30. Their window is close but I don’t think it starts next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad