Confirmed with Link: Ducks re-sign Troy Terry (7 years, $7M AAV)

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This is probably the best contract for both.

Terry can’t feel cheated with AAV and term.

Ducks can still demand more from Terry.

The clauses might be an important piece. I hope we did not give a NTC or modified NTC. And even more so a NMC.

John
10 team NTC in years 3-7

Reactions: Ducks DVM

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
NTCs are seemingly the norm on these contracts. Even kids like Boldy are getting them.

Have to think the remaining contracts should be following pretty quickly now.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Tage Thompson is just slightly more aav, and a pretty good comp.

I wonder what the sticking point was with the term, or if 8 years was even on the table. Possible adding the extra year was just going to drop his aav too much and he didn't want to go that route.

M-NTC of just 10 teams isn't a big deal.

Excellent contract.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
This got me thinking of the last RW that we signed long term.

Ten years after we signed Corey Perry to an $8.6m contract we get Terry for $7m.

I’m not saying Troy is equal to Perry. But considering the economic changes over that time span, and a potential of 35 goals per year, it is a good contract for the Ducks.

John

Reactions: McDonald19

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I'd consider that a pretty reasonable, even slightly team-friendly deal. I'm not the world's biggest Terry fan but I think that's pretty good.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
1691000194142.png

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Tage Thompson is just slightly more aav, and a pretty good comp.

I wonder what the sticking point was with the term, or if 8 years was even on the table. Possible adding the extra year was just going to drop his aav too much and he didn't want to go that route.

M-NTC of just 10 teams isn't a big deal.

Excellent contract.
What cash value would Anaheim and Terry have each assigned for that 8th year? He would turn 33 at the start of camp for that 8th year. So, what is the value that you place on someone at 33 going into that season?

If you are expecting a drop in production, it would be valued under $7 mill. If you think he's still going to be productive, it can be right around the $7 mill mark. There are plenty of players whose deals expire in the year they turn 36 like Horvat who got big time money.

Realistically, for most players you expect to see a decline around 33, how much so, depends on each player. Playing style, injuries, etc.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
What cash value would Anaheim and Terry have each assigned for that 8th year? He would turn 33 at the start of camp for that 8th year. So, what is the value that you place on someone at 33 going into that season?

If you are expecting a drop in production, it would be valued under $7 mill. If you think he's still going to be productive, it can be right around the $7 mill mark. There are plenty of players whose deals expire in the year they turn 36 like Horvat who got big time money.

Realistically, for most players you expect to see a decline around 33, how much so, depends on each player. Playing style, injuries, etc.

YMMV, but even given extenuating circumstances, Verbeek just handed a 4-year, $25M contract to someone who turns 34 when training camp begins next month. Feels like if Pat believes in the player enough, he'll pay him commensurate to what he thinks he's worth.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
This 7x7 is exactly the contract that I envisioned. He will be turning 32-33 as a UFA so hopefully the Ducks injury curse won't apply to Terry.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I wonder if this is the beginning of a team culture where the guys sign slightly team-friendly deals in the interest of winning?
If Verbeek can do that and it leads to a cup, we need to make him a shitty statue like the Kings did for Dustin Brown. All kidding aside, I’d hope that’s the culture he’s trying to build. The real evidence of this will be how the Zegras contract looks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad