Confirmed with Link: Ducks re-sign Trevor Zegras (3 years, $5.75M AAV)

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
We try and keep the toxicity at bay here. Criticism is one thing about a player, but some people cross the line to troll. Dealing with a lot of this with Lafreniere now.

If this place turns into anything like those places, then we have failed. Quite frankly, am a little embarrassed to have to read the trolling of "Zegras is going to the Rangers".
I’ve crossed the rules line a couple times

It’s been handled well IMO.

So as far as I’m concerned. You can handle the buttheads just fine, me
Included

Reactions: Leonardo87

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Unlike other stats, some of which are useful on their own (goals, time on ice) and some of which have context baked in (expected goal percentage, zone-adjusted shot share), I would argue that +/- is fairly useless WITHOUT context. If you add in all of the other stuff, sure, it can be helpful. But I don't think it tells you a lot about a player without the context, which is why it gets largely ignored. We have other stats that give us similar information with a bit more context already included.

It's odd that many are chiming in on plus/minus to reiterate what I said, which is to use plus/minus with context, just like every other stat would make more sense with context. That's why on scoresheets they show goals, assists, TOI breakdowns (ES, PP, PK), shots, blocked shots, faceoff breakdowns, and plus/minus. The whole f***ing internet knows all those stats are shown on one page, but y'all acting like CTP in omitting winning faceoff stats.

Let's look at TOI as an example that you gave. Last year, Benoit logged 19:21 ATOI. That's top-4D pairing minutes. Are you saying that ATOI alone will have "context baked in"? Yet, we waived Benoit and Benoit was also recently waived from the Leafs. Where's the "context baked in"?

Because the context is rarely mentioned when people cite +/-.

Yet you're responding to someone specifically who's saying to use it with context. What a waste of comment.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Let's look at TOI as an example that you gave. Last year, Benoit logged 19:21 ATOI. That's top-4D pairing minutes. Are you saying that ATOI alone will have "context baked in"? Yet, we waived Benoit and Benoit was also recently waived from the Leafs. Where's the "context baked in"?
I didn't say ATOI had context baked in. It doesn't. But I think it's more useful as a standalone statistic than +/-, although maybe not by much.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
It's odd that many are chiming in on plus/minus to reiterate what I said, which is to use plus/minus with context, just like every other stat would make more sense with context. That's why on scoresheets they show goals, assists, TOI breakdowns (ES, PP, PK), shots, blocked shots, faceoff breakdowns, and plus/minus. The whole f***ing internet knows all those stats are shown on one page, but y'all acting like CTP in omitting winning faceoff stats.

Yet you're responding to someone specifically who's saying to use it with context. What a waste of comment.
Saying to use it with context is fine. Actually explaining the context when it's used is another thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad