Confirmed with Link: Ducks re-sign Trevor Zegras (3 years, $5.75M AAV)

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
It was frankly a little disappointing listening to the Crash the Pond podcast yesterday. Their take on the Zegras situation was that Zegras’ camp was asking for 5.75 since the 3 year term was agreed upon, and that Verbeek dragged out the process by trying to bring him down to 3-4 mil before eventually caving.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but there seems to be no evidence for this. They spent most of the podcast criticizing Pat Verbeek for something that may not have even happened.

In my opinion, it’s more likely that Zegras’ camp asked for 7-7.5. Pat countered at 4. And two sides met in the middle. That’s how most negotiations work in my experience.
KzWCyLt-_400x400.jpg

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
It was frankly a little disappointing listening to the Crash the Pond podcast yesterday. Their take on the Zegras situation was that Zegras’ camp was asking for 5.75 since the 3 year term was agreed upon, and that Verbeek dragged out the process by trying to bring him down to 3-4 mil before eventually caving.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but there seems to be no evidence for this. They spent most of the podcast criticizing Pat Verbeek for something that may not have even happened.

In my opinion, it’s more likely that Zegras’ camp asked for 7-7.5. Pat countered at 4. And two sides met in the middle. That’s how most negotiations work in my experience.
Their podcast kinda sucks. Personally I like forever mighty, and DucknPucks. The crash the pond guys watch the game through charts it seems

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Basically their only rationale for thinking finally Pat gave in and gave him the $5.75M "he was asking for all along" was because of a vague and cryptic Pagnotta article - actually not even sure he was in the byline - from TFP. they basically said that Pagnotta 'has sources' and that should be enough for them/anyone to be convinced that that was the situation. they have no other evidence that all he wanted as 5.75M the whole time.

I'm not as low on them as some here are, and i thought that was one of their weakest takes of all time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deuce22

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

They were basing their opinions on “insider” reports which were most likely leaked by Zegras side. If Zegras was at $5M like they said, how did the deal end up at $5.75M?

Kariya 9

Feb 28, 2014
Basically their only rationale for thinking finally Pat gave in and gave him the $5.75M "he was asking for all along" was because of a vague and cryptic Pagnotta article - actually not even sure he was in the byline - from TFP. they basically said that Pagnotta 'has sources' and that should be enough for them/anyone to be convinced that that was the situation. they have no other evidence that all he wanted as 5.75M the whole time.

I'm not as low on them as some here are, and i thought that was one of their weakest takes of all time.
Yeah I actually like their show (mostly for Jake). But the way that Sicard decided to cherry-pick information and rumors to form this narrative that Verbeek attempted to low-ball Zegras and got owned in negotiations was strange. And when a few listeners questioned his line of reasoning, he got flustered, agitated and very defensive.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah I actually like their show (mostly for Jake). But the way that Sicard decided to cherry-pick information and rumors to form this narrative that Verbeek attempted to low-ball Zegras and got owned in negotiations was strange. And when a few listeners questioned his line of reasoning, he got flustered, agitated and very defensive.

I think their best shows are when they host media scouts like EP's Mitch Brown and the like. Neither Jake or Sicard questions the answers they receive as well as force both to rethink their original thoughts. The sad part is that change in thought only exists during those hosting episodes. My everlasting thoughts on both guys is them propping up Daniel Sprong to an unworldly obsession, totally neglecting the lack of defensive input.

Derek Lee has been on their show. I think he's been on there twice.

With Duck My Life youtuber making more content, I'm happy to have more Ducks stuff online. Forever Mighty need better mics, but I do love their weekly/daily coffee news tidbit (except they stopped doing that).

Kariya 9

Feb 28, 2014
I think their best shows are when they host media scouts like EP's Mitch Brown and the like. Neither Jake or Sicard questions the answers they receive as well as force both to rethink their original thoughts. The sad part is that change in thought only exists during those hosting episodes. My everlasting thoughts on both guys is them propping up Daniel Sprong to an unworldly obsession, totally neglecting the lack of defensive input.

Derek Lee has been on their show. I think he's been on there twice.

With Duck My Life youtuber making more content, I'm happy to have more Ducks stuff online. Forever Mighty need better mics, but I do love their weekly/daily coffee news tidbit (except they stopped doing that).
I like when they have guests on as well.

Sicard will fall in love with 30 point players like Milano and Sprong, touting their excellence for years and lamenting The Ducks’ mismanagement of them when players like that are a dime a dozen. He’s always quick to give himself credit when he’s right, but he is even faster to deflect and shift the goalposts when he’s wrong. All this to say, I think he does have some worthy insights. He has a strong understanding of metrics and it is interesting to get a non-fan’s perspective on the team. He’s just not nearly as clever as he thinks he is.

Oh and their food takes segments are lame. Whenever they start, my finger finds the skip button.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I really think this contract comes down to timing of the next contract. There are very few horrible contracts signed at 25 and tons of horrible ones signed at 28 or 29. Get him locked him short term at a good price and let him earn his big contract without the risk of him getting way too old at the end of it.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I know we are starved for Ducks content, but how do people stand that guy? Just talks out of his ass or jumps to HUGE conclusions from tidbits of rumors.

Probably watched half of Hitch and thought that was the standard for getting attention, by using "shock and awe". Didn't watch the rest of Hitch, where it went beyond towards "shock and awful".

The Crash the Pond guys have a following that soak up their content with glee. It's similar to the Anaheim Calling blogsite (which was their original forum), where a majority of posters are on their bandwagon and any outsider's take is deemed heresy, unless you're a known scout guest.

In one of their recent podcasts, Sicard put something on X and said bring it, but also said he had the comments off. If it gets hits, then Sicard's done his job as a shock jock.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
The Ducks Nation facebook group is just as bad. You’d think Fowler was an AHL D-Man that killed your kids listening to some of those idiots.

Reactions: ducks8

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Not as negative as some towards CTP, although Sicard's take re Zegras negotiations was weak. They are too focused on possession metrics for my taste because they just cite them as evidence with no context. I am intrigued by analytics, but Rudolph constantly saying that face offs are meaningless is irritating. Anyone who watched Kesler constantly winning D zone draws in close games will probably agree with me.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not as negative as some towards CTP, although Sicard's take re Zegras negotiations was weak. They are too focused on possession metrics for my taste because they just cite them as evidence with no context. I am intrigued by analytics, but Rudolph constantly saying that face offs are meaningless is irritating. Anyone who watched Kesler constantly winning D zone draws in close games will probably agree with me.

You want every advantage you can get to increase your chances of winning. Omitting FO wins from importance feels like saying your toes don't matter b/c you can still walk.

Reactions: Deuce22

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
You want every advantage you can get to increase your chances of winning. Omitting FO wins from importance feels like saying your toes don't matter b/c you can still walk.
How many Duck power plays last season began with losing the draw and having to chase the puck 200 feet?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think the problem with analytics is when they look at a broad generalized category and then make sweeping statements. If you look at every faceoff I’m sure they are meaningless, but what about specific circumstances? Top offensive players in the offensive zone? Poor defensive players in the defensive zone? After icing? Ovechkin on a PP? That sort of thing. They need to be much more focused in general.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
The Ducks Nation facebook group is just as bad. You’d think Fowler was an AHL D-Man that killed your kids listening to some of those idiots.
Ducks Nation does have quite a bit of idiots but there are some good posters. I appreciate Larry most of the time.

Then you have idiots who say Zegras body language in his interview the other day means he's 100% leaving as soon as he can

Reactions: Ducks DVM

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

Facebook in general is the last place I'd go for sports discourse. I've told this story before, but the last time I was on there for Ducks-related discussion, I got booted from a discussion group and was told I knew nothing in early 2010 for asking why Niedermayer would waive his NMC to go to San Jose at the trade deadline.

EDIT: Their group description is wild. Basically, they founded the Die-Hards and then the franchise took it over from them and rebranded it as an adult Wild Wingers Kids Club. Pretty high opinions of themselves.

JohnnyDrama

Oct 4, 2017
I’m late to this but thank god. I think the idea that Carlsson and Mctavish are our two guys at center and that Zegras maybe isn’t as important is a mistake. The IQ is there and he has plenty of room to grow defensively, and I think the drive to want to as well. Cronin will be a big help to him, don’t think he’ll be quite Datsyuk level defense when all is said and done but he won’t be a liability

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
Ducks Nation does have quite a bit of idiots but there are some good posters. I appreciate Larry most of the time.

Then you have idiots who say Zegras body language in his interview the other day means he's 100% leaving as soon as he can
Omg did you see his demeanor? Must mean he wants out or VB will trade him or he'll walk via UFA. He's not smiling and joking.

Man, I miss when Larry posted charts but he's quite hilarious when he trolls

Some think Carlsson is already a bust cause he's not as fast ot flashy as Fantilli

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
Omg did you see his demeanor? Must mean he wants out or VB will trade him or he'll walk via UFA. He's not smiling and joking.

Man, I miss when Larry posted charts but he's quite hilarious when he trolls

Some think Carlsson is already a bust cause he's not as fast ot flashy as Fantilli
There many stupid hills people will die on in that group.

I like how just saying a first name of someone in that group and you know exactly who I'm talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: ducks8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad