Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Watched the first 10 minutes of Timra's game. Lundestrom got two primary assists off nearly the same play - forechecks below the opposing team's blueline, forces a turn over, passes the puck back in the slot where a teammate has a relatively easy tap in.
Nice. I’m really hoping his offense comes around. He can be a 2nd line center if it does, which would be huge for us

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Just tuned in, what number is Lundestrom? He is playing against Lucas Raymond?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Also it’s hard to believe Lundestrom is still just 20 years old. It feels like he’s been around for 4 years. I guess that’s what happens when you get NHL games at 18
Yeah, he is not that old yet.
But I don't think he has the play driving offensive ability to be what is considered a good 2C. However, he is a good 2 way forward so hopefully, he becomes something like a center version of Silfverberg.
But he is a good prospect.
Just tuned in, what number is Lundestrom? He is playing against Lucas Raymond?
He is #27 in reed&white and no, Lundy is playing in a second tier league in Sweeden.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Lundestrom is playing on a line with Jonathan Dahlen and Jesper Boqvist. I imagine that line will do very well in this league.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Dahlen with a hattrick but no assist for Lundy this time. I did not saw the play :/
Was watching Skelleftea. Sundsvik on the PK, he was not moving much but he does not need to. Large frame and a long, active stick. He almost created a decent scoring chance while shorthanded, was nice to see.
I think he can improve his skating

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah, he is not that old yet.
But I don't think he has the play driving offensive ability to be what is considered a good 2C. However, he is a good 2 way forward so hopefully, he becomes something like a center version of Silfverberg.
But he is a good prospect.

He is #27 in reed&white and no, Lundy is playing in a second tier league in Sweeden.

I was reading Lundy's The Hockey Writers scouting profile from 2018 and it said that Lundy might be a better winger than center, but they do like his skating and playmaking skills. THW's upside for Lundy is 2nd line center. I'd be okay with that.

2017-18, Lundestrom's draft year
Lulea: Games (regular season) = 42, 6 g + 9a = 15 points; 0.36 ppg
Lulea: Games (playoff season) = 3, 0 g + 0a = 0 points
Lulea, J20: Games (playoff season) = 6, 0 g + 5a = 5 points​

Surprisingly, this was Lundestrom's second season in the SHL. He played 45 in the SHL as a 16-year old in 2016-17 season (3g +3a = 6 pts). Didn't realize he was that good to be promoted to the SHL club so young.

2019-20, Lucas Raymond's draft year
Lulea: Games (regular season) = 33, 4 g + 6a = 10 points; 0.30 ppg​

Maybe Lundestrom's physique and defensive IQ were too advanced that it became a detriment to his progression? Both Raymond and Holtz didn't play full time at the SHL until they were 17 year olds. Neither one of them will debut with their NHL club this coming 2020-21 season, due to some NHL-SHL agreement once the season starts. (I'm sure their respective NHL teams could pry them away somehow, but why?)

So we rushed Lundy to the NHL as an 18-year old. His offense was meh at both the NHL and AHL level, but his was solid... only because we didn't have NHL centers due to mass injuries down the middle of our NHL roster (we pushed Steel up too, IIRC). So we loaned him back to his SHL team that same year.

2018-19, Lundestrom's D+1
Lulea: Games (regular season) = 17, 2 g + 7a = 9 points; 0.53 ppg
Lulea: Games (playoff season) = 10, 2 g + 6a = 8 points; 0.80 ppg​

Last year, Lundy stayed on NA ice. It was just non-descript in the NHL and solid at the AHL level.

In Lundy's first game in the Allsvenskan (a tier below the SHL), he played 2C and his line produced 3 goals in a 4-1 win for Lundy's team. Lundy notched 2 assists. It's weird. Maybe a confidence thing, but Lundy seems to produce at a better rate across the pond. What can our coaches do to help Lundy's confidence on NA ice?

I think we loaned Lundy to Timra (Allsvenskan) because we might recall him once the NHL/AHL resumes as opposed to being loaned back to his SHL club, Lulea. I wouldn't mind leaving him across the pond, though, but it's nice seeing Lundy have a very good outing in his first game with Timra! It's a good start for Lundy's year.

Oct 18, 2011
Lundestrom has the quick twitch things that you look for its just a matter as to whether he has the mindset of wanting the puck in the offensive zone and not simply be a guy who wants to get rid of it and go muck it up

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I am actually high on Lundy as a 2C level, but hopefully is our 3C but good enough to be a 2C. If you look at the things young players do when you play in the NHL at 18, I think you can see if they can compete long term. I have the same impression with Comtois. Neither were overwhelmed and both actually played quite well. Getting another year in AHL will greatly help his cause and i see him playing in 2021-22.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Saw Sundsvik for a few shifts yesterday. Large guy, good active stick and his skating seemed fine more or less. Felt like it could still be improved.
In a way his role was similar to that of Grant. PK and defending. He did create a good scoring chance while on PK.

But man, Broberg can skate. In one possession looked like a bigger Heiskanen out there. Might or might not have the offensive IQ to be great but we'll see. Intriguing prospect for the Oil for sure.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Is anyone planning on doing the prospect ranking polls this year? I might be able to find time to do them if not.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Scott Wheeler updated his Top 50 prospect rankings. The top 7 are all from this past draft. Here are the Ducks on the list (Drysdale is the highest ranked defenseman):

9. Trevor Zegras, C, 19 (Anaheim Ducks — 9th overall, 2019)
Previous ranking: No. 2
I feel like I’ve spent as much time in the last two years writing about Zegras as I have any other prospect. Typically, when I dedicate that kind of time to evaluating a single player, I can fatigue of watching them or of describing them, and I can get lazy, feeling as though I’ve got them figured out (which can often trap evaluators when they develop a new tool or element). That just hasn’t happened watching Zegras, though. He’s too fun, different and surprising. Watching him keeps me on my toes, waiting for that next slashing pass when he has the puck or engaged in watching his physical, chatty on-ice presence when he doesn’t. And there are some warts. I’ve written about those, too. The need to use an accurate shot a little more. The need to continue to get stronger and quicker. One way or another, though, he’s always entertaining.

12. Jamie Drysdale, RHD, 18 (Anaheim Ducks — 6th overall, 2020)
Previous ranking: N/A
We spend a lot of time talking about the modern player these days and I think we often get it wrong. Drysdale, though, has the qualities of my idea of a modern defenceman. So much so that a bet on him is a bet that the league is going to continue to trend in his direction. Because it feels like his game is the game that’s going to be played by the next generation of top defencemen, not by the active generation of top defencemen. He doesn’t have much Shea Weber or Roman Josi or Victor Hedman or even Erik Karlsson, who was ahead of his time, in his game. But he does have elements of Adam Fox, Quinn Hughes, Cale Makar and even Charlie McAvoy. He does all of the things most coaches now covet. His skating helps him glue himself to opposing puck carriers and play a tight, occasionally risky gap. He doesn’t want to give anything and he wants to trust his ability to step up and disrupt opponents early. And then on offence, he doesn’t have the big shot that most of the Norris winners of past and present have, nor the length and physicality that they often have. But he uses his feet and his mobility to move and execute quickly, curling away from pressure to look up ice and make the quick play or across the blue line to find a seam for a light shot through traffic rather than a hard one designed to power into the back of the net. He’s calculated.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He was very clearly complementary of Drysdale, he just values forwards more. And if it makes you feel better, he had Sanderson all the way down at 49.
It definitely does make me feel better. I think Sanderson was quite the reach at 5 and am very glad Ottawa took him off the board

Reactions: Getz2noone

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
He was very clearly complementary of Drysdale, he just values forwards more. And if it makes you feel better, he had Sanderson all the way down at 49.

Well, that's just silly. :laugh:

Ranking 7 forward prospects in this year's draft ahead of Zegras and Drysdale seems a bit much. Which 3 forwards did he rank above Drysdale that went after him in the actual draft? Rossi, Holtz and Perfetti?

Last edited:

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Well, that's just silly. :laugh:

Ranking 7 forward prospects in this year's draft ahead of Zegras and Drysdale seems a bit much.

But what do I know, I'm not a scout and a total homer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Which 3 forwards did he rank above Drysdale that went after him in the actual draft? Rossi, Holtz and Perfetti?

Yup, those are the 3.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad