Proposal: Ducks - Panthers craziness

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
:laugh: :laugh: This is a freaking joke? Barkov alone is worth this much let alone adding Ekblad. And did you just honestly add more the the Florida deal? If Barkov and Ekblad are dealt, It's because ownership is reducing salary. Not taking more on.

Guess you missed the sentence addressing the money:

"While at a glance it may look like FL is taking on money here, they are actually getting 4 players for 2, so gain savings overall (unless the spots would otherwise be plugged by rookies)."

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Well, I think what I learnt here is that people consider Ekblad at a much higher value and a much better player than I thought of him.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Guess you missed the sentence addressing the money:

"While at a glance it may look like FL is taking on money here, they are actually getting 4 players for 2, so gain savings overall (unless the spots would otherwise be plugged by rookies)."
Your kidding right/ Florida gives up the best two players in the whole deal, Lindholm isn't any better then Ekblad. And Manson, Rakall and Steele sure has hell are nowhere close for Barkov. Bottom line is none of those players get you Barkov and Ekblad combined only decent player is Lindholm. Florida isn't getting the best pieces Anaheim is. That're pure trashola for Florida.

Reactions: steepdrop

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Your kidding right/ Florida gives up the best two players in the whole deal, Lindholm isn't any better then Ekblad. And Manson, Rakall and Steele sure has hell are nowhere close for Barkov. Bottom line is none of those players get you Barkov and Ekblad combined only decent player is Lindholm. Florida isn't getting the best pieces Anaheim is. That're pure trashola for Florida.

My reply to you was only in regards to you laughing about the money aspect, when I clearly explained it in the OP and you likely missed it...

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Well, I think what I learnt here is that people consider Ekblad at a much higher value and a much better player than I thought of him.

Ekblad had his best year to date and was arguably the MVP of the team this year, over Huberdeau and Barkov imo.
He's tied for 3rd in even strength points for defensemen with 34pts and he doesn't get #1 PP time.
If he did, he'd probably end up with 50-55 points on the year.

Ekblad vs Lindholm.PNG
2018-2020
Ekblad vs Lindholm

Ek vs Manson.PNG
2018-2020
Ekblad vs Manson

Your value of Ekblad = Manson + Steel is nowhere close.
Ekblad has 5 years left on his deal.
Can't remember the last time a team has traded their #1 and 2C's and their #1D all in one year?

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Far as Hoffman, my thought was solely based on reading various fan comments that it's between him and Dadonov, FL can't afford both while being instructed to cut $$$, and most seem to prefer to keep Evgenii.

Perhaps my opinion of Ekblad is too low ? I know he had an awesome rookie season, followed by the concussion issue which led to very poor play, and I knew he recovered and was more well-rounded; but still thought he is a #2-#3 D with a long-term contract at a price that can easily go bad if he doesn't play at a very high level consistently and avoid further injuries/concussions (which hopefully, he does). I do think adding Lindholm+Manson is more than a minor upgrade to the D, though.

The options I listed were possible ways FL could find a 1C - not for them to do them all! They would go with one of those options + Steel + whoever else their C are (not sure if Haula will return, or how Hepo is coming along, etc...)

I can accept that FL fans don't like the deal, though. No one likes the thought of trading an amazing, young star.

Value breakdown, though, I would see it as:

Barkov = Lindholm, Rakell, 2nd
Ekblad = Manson + Steel

except, no one knows what Hoffman and Dadonov want and the salary cut is a rumor that was never substantiated. Plus, during Luongo’s jersey retirement, Viola didn’t sound like a guy who had any thoughts of cutting salary.

yes, you’re current opinion of Ekblad is too low, but so is most peoples. He still needs to work on his skating, but he’s become a solid player again. Plus, as a rookie he was paired with Brian Campbell, who is far better than anyone gave him credit for.

I’m well aware those were individual options, I pointed out that they simply weren’t options at all.
It’s not an acceptable deal or even one to build on. Appreciate your I giving us something to talk about though.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

Manson is a solid player and I’d love to have him, and frankly if the two were to be traded it’d likely be for a package similar to that. However, there’s zero need for the trade to happen. Yes Barkov AND Ekblad are worth more, but that doesn’t mean the return will match that value...and rarely does.

Again, though, it’s simply not going to happen.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Even as someone who has had concerns/ criticisms of Ekblad going back to his OHL days, this trade is real bad

Anaheim is giving up a lot of nice pieces, but this hurts Florida so much

Who is playing C for them next season if this goes through? Re-sign Haula and play him comfortably above his capabilities?

Interestingly, I think Lindholm and Ekblad would make a really tremendous pairing, would be interested to see them paired together

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Admittedly, the Duck pieces are not rich enough to get you someone like Barkov. However, to say Lindholm is the only "decent" piece, is a pretty bad statement. Rakell and Manson are more than "decent" and Steel, although still growing, has some good upside.

Reactions: Laus723

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Barkov is a top center in the league...
And ekblad is finally hitting his potential.

No reason for florida to do it... and the offer is really low... i imagine the trade would hsve to involve zegras and our 1st...and even then they prob pass

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Ducks pieces they’re giving up are good.. but a bunch of good pieces don’t yield you one of the best centres in the game plus a top pairing dman.

Think about what it would have taken for the Ducks to trade a 24 year old Getzlaf and whatever equivalent we had for Ekblad at the time (probably Bobby Ryan is the closest in value we had back then). The return would need to be huge. As good as Lindholm is at best he cancels out Ekblad here so it’s essentially Manson, Rakell and Steel for Barkov.

Ledge And Dairy

Did you not learn that Barkov is one of the best centers in the league as well? He's on par with Eichel and easily top 10, arguably top 5. The pieces you are offering are solid players but this is certainly quality for quantity. Rakell, Steel, and that 2nd will never hold a light to Barkov's skill.

Reactions: Laus723

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad