= 13.4M

Florida:
Lindholm @5.2Mx3
Manson @4.1Mx3
Rakell @3.8Mx3
Steel @863Kx2 (RFA)
2020 2nd-round draft choice (ANA)
= $14M

Yes, I know not very realistic, but simply for discussion on value and needs. Yes, I'm also aware FL may not be on Manson's M-NTC (and the Ducks love him more than you love your wives...)

While at a glance it may look like FL is taking on money here, they are actually getting 4 players for 2, so gain savings overall (unless the spots would otherwise be plugged by rookies).

There are risks of players walking in free agency on both sides.

Anaheim get the best player in the deal, and set themselves up at C very nicely for the years to come (assuming they can re-sign Barkov). They switch to a "defense by committee" style.

Florida boosts their D squad, gets a cheap replacement for Hoffman and his goals (who will likely walk in UFA), a young centre prospect who can plug in as a #2 right now with good linemates, and an early 2nd rounder. If they aren't competing as these players get close to free agency, they can always flip them all for great value/futures to contenders.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I fail to see how a #1 D, Top 4 D, first-line winger (all on great deals and young) + a recent 1st round prospect + an early 2nd round are garbage or 'worst ever' heh.

Very understandable FL doesn't want to move their best player; or if they'd want a totally different type of package...but I think some of you are not giving the Duck players their due value.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
That doesn't get you Barkov alone.

Value wise it is MORE than enough to get you Barkov.

That being said, if you try to acquire a guy like Barkov without sending a young top 6 Center or a blue chip C prospect the other way, your offer is useless.

Who’s going to Center for Florida if that deals goes through anyway? The thinking behind it is terrible

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Anaheim:
Barkov @5.9Mx3
Ekblad @7.5Mx6
= 13.4M

Florida:
Lindholm @5.2Mx3
Manson @4.1Mx3
Rakell @3.8Mx3
Steel @863Kx2 (RFA)
= $14M

Yes, I know not very realistic, but simply for discussion on value and needs. Yes, I'm also aware FL may not be on Manson's M-NTC (and the Ducks love him more than you love your wives...)

While at a glance it may look like FL is taking on money here, they are actually getting 4 players for 2, so gain savings overall (unless the spots would otherwise be plugged by rookies).

Anaheim get the best player in the deal, and set themselves up at C very nicely for the years to come (assuming they can re-sign Barkov). They switch to a "defense by committee" style.

Florida boosts their D squad, gets a cheap replacement for Hoffman and his goals (who will likely walk in UFA), a young centre prospect who can plug in as a #2 right now with good linemates, and an early 2nd rounder. If they aren't competing as these players get close to free agency, they can always flip them all for great value/futures to contenders.

These types of discussions are pointless at best. It will cost way more to acquire Barkov than Anaheim would be able to give up.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Value wise it is MORE than enough to get you Barkov.

That being said, if you try to acquire a guy like Barkov without sending a young top 6 Center or a blue chip C prospect the other way, your offer is useless.

Who’s going to Center for Florida if that deals goes through anyway? The thinking behind it is terrible

Some options:

A- Win the lotto and move up to grab a C
B- Trade up to grab a C
C- Make another trade for one
D- Sign a UFA stop-gap

I do think Steel can solve their #2C for a long-time to come; but he's never going to be a #1.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Some options:

A- Win the lotto and move up to grab a C
B- Trade up to grab a C
C- Make another trade for one
D- Sign a UFA stop-gap

I do think Steel can solve their #2C for a long-time to come; but he's never going to be a #1.

how do you think the Panthers have unlimited resources to just trade up, trade for, and sign one via UFA?? I’d actually love to have Manson and wouldn’t mind Rakell, but neither gets you either of those guys alone, and the rest of that package doesn’t get you 2 of our 3 best players who’re both still young.

Not to mention, you didn’t get at all into the real why either of the Panthers guys are available. Losing Ekblad and gaining two guys on D doesn’t fix the D. And I’m not sure how you arrive at Lindholm being better? Especially after this season. And even IF the D is marginally improved, we still arrive at the gaping hole at the 1C and are left scratching our heads as to why we let a young, franchise center go. And then it’s back to the first paragraph.

Further, where do you get that Hoffman will likely walk? They were in discussions to re-sign him. He wants to stay.
Sorry. It’s a bad deal.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Barkov is the soul of the Panthers, and
if you believe what I read around here, Lindholm/Manson are core/hard-to-replace for the Ducks

so maybe they're the guys you build around, not the guys you cash in

especially Fla who made the big near-term bets w Bob and coach Q

also, this is more subjective,
i'd think Ducks had learned their lesson of taking their D depth for granted,
after bleeding away Theodore, Montour, Vatanen, Sbisa

not close to Ducks, but maybe if beefing up roster by dealing from D,
maybe the time has actually come, after 10 years, dozens of proposals, for Fowler to move ...

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
how do you think the Panthers have unlimited resources to just trade up, trade for, and sign one via UFA?? I’d actually love to have Manson and wouldn’t mind Rakell, but neither gets you either of those guys alone, and the rest of that package doesn’t get you 2 of our 3 best players who’re both still young.

Not to mention, you didn’t get at all into the real why either of the Panthers guys are available. Losing Ekblad and gaining two guys on D doesn’t fix the D. And I’m not sure how you arrive at Lindholm being better? Especially after this season. And even IF the D is marginally improved, we still arrive at the gaping hole at the 1C and are left scratching our heads as to why we let a young, franchise center go. And then it’s back to the first paragraph.

Further, where do you get that Hoffman will likely walk? They were in discussions to re-sign him. He wants to stay.
Sorry. It’s a bad deal.

Far as Hoffman, my thought was solely based on reading various fan comments that it's between him and Dadonov, FL can't afford both while being instructed to cut $$$, and most seem to prefer to keep Evgenii.

Perhaps my opinion of Ekblad is too low ? I know he had an awesome rookie season, followed by the concussion issue which led to very poor play, and I knew he recovered and was more well-rounded; but still thought he is a #2-#3 D with a long-term contract at a price that can easily go bad if he doesn't play at a very high level consistently and avoid further injuries/concussions (which hopefully, he does). I do think adding Lindholm+Manson is more than a minor upgrade to the D, though.

The options I listed were possible ways FL could find a 1C - not for them to do them all! They would go with one of those options + Steel + whoever else their C are (not sure if Haula will return, or how Hepo is coming along, etc...)

I can accept that FL fans don't like the deal, though. No one likes the thought of trading an amazing, young star.

Value breakdown, though, I would see it as:

Barkov = Lindholm, Rakell, 2nd
Ekblad = Manson + Steel

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Barkov is the soul of the Panthers, and
if you believe what I read around here, Lindholm/Manson are core/hard-to-replace for the Ducks

so maybe they're the guys you build around, not the guys you cash in

especially Fla who made the big near-term bets w Bob and coach Q

also, this is more subjective,
i'd think Ducks had learned their lesson of taking their D depth for granted,
after bleeding away Theodore, Montour, Vatanen, Sbisa

not close to Ducks, but maybe if beefing up roster by dealing from D,
maybe the time has actually come, after 10 years, dozens of proposals, for Fowler to move ...

Can't move Fowler, his name (Fowl) implies he's a Duck for life ;)

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Far as Hoffman, my thought was solely based on reading various fan comments that it's between him and Dadonov, FL can't afford both while being instructed to cut $$$, and most seem to prefer to keep Evgenii.

Perhaps my opinion of Ekblad is too low ? I know he had an awesome rookie season, followed by the concussion issue which led to very poor play, and I knew he recovered and was more well-rounded; but still thought he is a #2-#3 D with a long-term contract at a price that can easily go bad if he doesn't play at a very high level consistently and avoid further injuries/concussions (which hopefully, he does). I do think adding Lindholm+Manson is more than a minor upgrade to the D, though.

The options I listed were possible ways FL could find a 1C - not for them to do them all! They would go with one of those options + Steel + whoever else their C are (not sure if Haula will return, or how Hepo is coming along, etc...)

I can accept that FL fans don't like the deal, though. No one likes the thought of trading an amazing, young star.

Value breakdown, though, I would see it as:

Barkov = Lindholm, Rakell, 2nd
Ekblad = Manson + Steel

your evaluation of ekblad is horrendous. ekblad was playing really well this season. manson with one year left and a prospect doesn't move the needle at all. Not to mention the fact that manson has been on a slide the last 2 years.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
mj.gif

Good lord.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Anaheim:
Barkov @5.9Mx3
Ekblad @7.5Mx6
= 13.4M

Florida:
Lindholm @5.2Mx3
Manson @4.1Mx3
Rakell @3.8Mx3
Steel @863Kx2 (RFA)
= $14M

:laugh: :laugh: This is a freaking joke? Barkov alone is worth this much let alone adding Ekblad. And did you just honestly add more the the Florida deal? If Barkov and Ekblad are dealt, It's because ownership is reducing salary. Not taking more on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad