Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I rather see us going through this slump now than in 2 weeks :p

We do have to start getting our **** together though

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Defensive comedy of errors all around. Incredible how literally everyone in D chipped in for their share of voluntary suckage. Don't know whether to laugh or cry when Stoner emerges with the clearest conscience. Sure going down to 5 D didn't help but surely. Fowler, Lindholm, Manson: hello?!

The guys got the call to deliver with extended TOI and responsibility but no way. Cam hugging the post for GWG was a fitting end. Hamps had jitters all night long and fell asleep Bieksa-style for the tying 5th. Going forward, the D was a collective non-factor. If not for individual efforts from 2nd tier forwards stepping up, this would have been dead ugly. Now it was just an embarrasment. Hooray, I guess.

This is a broken record for sure, but Sami really can't come back soon enough. We need a shot of swagger and spirit back there, someone to ease the load of responsibility and stop guys from over-reaching themselves beyond natural role, comfort zone and abilities. We need balance.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
And no Freddie wasn't the issue. Not by a million miles. He kept the game winnable. Others in front of him failed to answer the call and do their share.

The only positive is that this is a long road trip against team(s) on something of a stride and with nothing to lose or worry about. So it shouldn't have to be an indication of what's ahead. But the team will still need to change the course and pull themselves up by the neck.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
And yes, Kesler is the single most important player in the team. Perry comes close, but no more than that. If someone still wants to deny that, bon voyage to la la land.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If it's not JVR or Kessel, it's Kadri. Why is it that even though they're icing an AHL team the Leafs still have our number?

Fowler and Lindholm played a combined 55 minutes. Too bad they both had poor games by their standards.

The game was somewhat entertaining at least. Yay for clinching a playoff spot

And yes, Kesler is the single most important player in the team. Perry comes close, but no more than that. If someone still wants to deny that, bon voyage to la la land.

Yeah Kesler is so good in his own end. He really does a great job at masking our defensive inefficiencies and is a huge reason we have the best PK in the league and are such a good shot suppressing team. I'd say Getzlaf not Perry would be next most but each to their own.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Yeah Kesler is so good in his own end. He really does a great job at masking our defensive inefficiencies and is a huge reason we have the best PK in the league and are such a good shot suppressing team. I'd say Getzlaf not Perry would be next most but each to their own.

Yeah I get that. Even when he's off his game, Getz is the unquestionable team leader with untold intangibles. So that shouldn't be sold short for sure. I just have a soft spot for Perry, not just for the obvious goal scoring etc but also for his overall presence in the rink, including all the antics and in-your-face attitude. That's the golden stuff that money can't buy. :sarcasm:

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
I rather see us going through this slump now than in 2 weeks :p

We do have to start getting our **** together though

I kind of agree. As said, it's a long road trip, and the team was bound to enter into a mental lapse at some stage following the high-strung effort all they way from December. You just cannot maintain extreme focus and concentration for months and months in a row, something's gotta give at some stage.

So let's learn whatever is to be learned, and let's cross fingers that we are back to full strength soon, but also let's move on to another day. The drag that is the long regular season is about to come to an end, and the real hockey is right around the corner. We clinched after all. Bring on the Sharks, or whatever is on offer.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Maybe we should start to focus on defensive game more now, i think that helped us snap out of the early slump. And we know Bob has stated he wants us to pay more attention to the defensive side of the puck

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
You spelled Silfverberg funny.

If his mind wasn't already made up, I wonder how a "with Kesler vs without Kesler" comparison would go? Both of team and of the Silf's extended stats.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I'm still not worried. The team needs to get healthy and once the playoffs start everything changes.

This exact same trend unfolded last year, sans the sudden rash of health issues. Just need to get healthy.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Pretty obvious the kings are trying to get out of the top spot to avoid playing Chicago 1st round.

Pretty sure were going to take 1st and Chicago is going to take 7 and well have the Chicago matchup first -.-

Oct 18, 2011
can't say I am surprised to see us give up 6 goals icing that dcore, it's embarrassing the undying loyalty they have to bieksa

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Just got an update on my phone that Manson was fined for "making an inappropriate gesture aimed at Nazem Kadri". I didn't watch the game, anybody see what he did?

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
can't say I am surprised to see us give up 6 goals icing that dcore, it's embarrassing the undying loyalty they have to bieksa

Bieksa played like 5 minutes before leaving with injury. This one is on the kids, not him.

Just got an update on my phone that Manson was fined for "making an inappropriate gesture aimed at Nazem Kadri". I didn't watch the game, anybody see what he did?

Throat slash gesture. Same thing Kadri got fined for earlier in the year.

Oct 18, 2011
Bieksa played like 5 minutes before leaving with injury. This one is on the kids, not him.

Throat slash gesture. Same thing Kadri got fined for earlier in the year.

the idea of going into a game, where you have shea theodore, and icing stoner, holzer, and bieksa is ridiculous

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
And no Freddie wasn't the issue. Not by a million miles. He kept the game winnable. Others in front of him failed to answer the call and do their share.

The only positive is that this is a long road trip against team(s) on something of a stride and with nothing to lose or worry about. So it shouldn't have to be an indication of what's ahead. But the team will still need to change the course and pull themselves up by the neck.

Yeah right bud.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Ducks seem very disinterested in this road trip. That's ok I suppose. As long as they turn it on against teams that truly matter and play hard in those games.

BTW, if you watch the highlight of the Pirri goal, just before it you see Gardner do a blatant interference on Ritchie. TO had been doing this all game. Why was it never called? I'm not complaining about the reffing, but it's like this rule was changed or something.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Perhaps they decided to lose the game to get a better match-up in the playoffs and Kesler, as the winner he is, refused to do it, which is the reason he was scratched.

It's all coming together now!

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
He let in 6 goals.

Which ones would you say were his fault?

I think the 4th goal where he punted the rebound up the middle and that's it. The first goal was a perfect shot through a screen. The second goal he had no chance, the third goal I would have like him to have gotten but it wasn't soft by any stretch, the fifth goal he had no chance - he responded to the deflection that went left then the second deflection went right and he couldn't stay upright to track the player who was once again unchecked, and the OT goal is on Getzlaf.

Andersen wasn't the problem. The team letting players repeatedly set up and take shots 3-5 feet from the crease was.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Which ones would you say were his fault?

I think the 4th goal where he punted the rebound up the middle and that's it. The first goal was a perfect shot through a screen. The second goal he had no chance, the third goal I would have like him to have gotten but it wasn't soft by any stretch, the fifth goal he had no chance - he responded to the deflection that went left then the second deflection went right and he couldn't stay upright to track the player who was once again unchecked, and the OT goal is on Getzlaf.

Andersen wasn't the problem. The team letting players repeatedly set up and take shots 3-5 feet from the crease was.

You can spin it however you want. He let in 6 goals. I just find it interesting that Gibson let in 2 goals (about a week ago?) while having a .936 SV% iirc and one of those goals wasn't even his fault. But, after the game people wanted to trade Gibson and keep Andersen as if he had a horrible game. Andersen let's in 6 goals and did nothing wrong. I won't argue that Gibson has been better this season, he hasn't. But, the reactions are... interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad