Confirmed with Link: Ducks hire Ryan Getzlaf as Player Development Coordinator

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I think Getz was a good influence on Terry breaking out.
Terry credits his breakout to Ryan Miller, actually.

At this point, Terry knows what makes him his best. But he didn't get here alone. A seed was planted over time by his former Ducks teammate Ryan Miller. The now-retired goaltender was blunt with Terry about what had to change about his game, and Terry took that wisdom to heart.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

At this point, Terry knows what makes him his best. But he didn't get here alone. A seed was planted over time by his former Ducks teammate Ryan Miller. The now-retired goaltender was blunt with Terry about what had to change about his game, and Terry took that wisdom to heart.
I loved everything about Miller's time here.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

He would be a great goalie coach for us if Sudsie isn't able to continue coaching. Even if it was on a part time basis. Our young players are very impressionable so we need to surround them with positive support in this losing environment.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
He would be a great goalie coach for us if Sudsie isn't able to continue coaching. Even if it was on a part time basis. Our young players are very impressionable so we need to surround them with positive support in this losing environment.
Agree. That dude was the poster boy for never quitting even when a loss was all but certain. That's the kind of character you need to surround your younger players with.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Agree. That dude was the poster boy for never quitting even when a loss was all but certain. That's the kind of character you need to surround your younger players with.
I think he was also a stabilizing influence for Gibby. We've had so many elite former duck leaders that could help our squad if they are still around SoCal. I know we are super tight on budget but it makes sense in investing in our scouts and development staff because we just aren't going to be competitive attracting top free agents.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Getzlaf needs a staff for player development... interim goalie coach then moves on to help develop kids?

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Biggest takeaway for me in that interview was the emphasis on "learning". Solidifies for me, the idea that he wont be in that position for too long and is trying to learn all he can about the different positions while contributing in a role hes already kind of used to by mentoring the young guys.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I don't blame him for moving to the Midwest (I enjoy living in Midwest much more than I did in California), but kind of odd to take a job with the team and move far away from it. Glad he's a part of the organization though.

Reactions: snowave

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I don't blame him for moving to the Midwest (I enjoy living in Midwest much more than I did in California), but kind of odd to take a job with the team and move far away from it. Glad he's a part of the organization though.
Well, to be fair, he'll be working with the prospects throughout the year, and pretty much none of them will be in California except for development camp and rookie camp.

I suppose some prospects will be on the Gulls, but I imagine the Gulls staff is responsible for them and not Getz.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Well, to be fair, he'll be working with the prospects throughout the year, and pretty much none of them will be in California except for development camp and rookie camp.

I suppose some prospects will be on the Gulls, but I imagine the Gulls staff is responsible for them and not Getz.

Aren’t a lot of our best prospects about to turn pro and be in San Diego (or Anaheim)? I know not all of them, but a lot of them

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Hes not with them everyday. In the interview he says he will travel about once a month to get see different guys. Have to assume a lot of this can and will done with technology like zoom.

I have to travel for work anyway, so it doesn't matter where I am, but this is more central. I'm going to be going about once a month to go see some of our prospects, and we'll just build from there.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Aren’t a lot of our best prospects about to turn pro and be in San Diego (or Anaheim)? I know not all of them, but a lot of them
For sure, but that's why I'm guessing Getz won't be working with them, at least not with any sort of regularity. The Gulls staff will be, and should be responsible for their development throughout the season. But I don't see why Getz can't make a few trips here and there to CA if necessary for things like rookie camp. I just assumed he would be working with the amateur prospects more than the pros, although I could be wrong.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

With maybe the exception of Carlsson, the 2023 draft class won't be in San Diego. Half the 2022 class won't be in southern Cal (RD Warren, RD Luneau, LW Hvidston, RW Callow, and G Buteyets, who's in Russia). Finally, there's the college kids (RD Moore, RD Francis, RW Colangelo, C Kukkonen, and RW Janicke).

IdyllwildEcho

Oct 1, 2022
My friend said he saw Getz at Pavillions Rancho Santa Margarita recently (he sees him there a lot). You guys sure he moved permanently?

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
My friend said he saw Getz at Pavillions Rancho Santa Margarita recently (he sees him there a lot). You guys sure he moved permanently?
He and his family have moved primary residences. He is still rich with a lot of roots in OC so I’m sure he will be seen there often.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I’m sure he has multiple places of residence

Not sure why you wouldn’t with those kinds of resources

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad