Confirmed with Link: Ducks hire Ryan Getzlaf as Player Development Coordinator

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Hes not with them everyday. In the interview he says he will travel about once a month to get see different guys. Have to assume a lot of this can and will done with technology like zoom.

For sure, but that's why I'm guessing Getz won't be working with them, at least not with any sort of regularity. The Gulls staff will be, and should be responsible for their development throughout the season. But I don't see why Getz can't make a few trips here and there to CA if necessary for things like rookie camp. I just assumed he would be working with the amateur prospects more than the pros, although I could be wrong.

With maybe the exception of Carlsson, the 2023 draft class won't be in San Diego. Half the 2022 class won't be in southern Cal (RD Warren, RD Luneau, LW Hvidston, RW Callow, and G Buteyets, who's in Russia). Finally, there's the college kids (RD Moore, RD Francis, RW Colangelo, C Kukkonen, and RW Janicke).

I get it. I know many of our prospects won't be in San Diego, but there will be more there than anywhere close to Nashville. I just think it's odd to take a position where you're working with prospects and move further away from more of them. I know he'll be traveling anyway. Still, you'd think he'd stay closer to more of them. Just odd to me. Nice gig for him though.

Reactions: snowave

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I get it. I know many of our prospects won't be in San Diego, but there will be more there than anywhere close to Nashville. I just think it's odd to take a position where you're working with prospects and move further away from more of them. I know he'll be traveling anyway. Still, you'd think he'd stay closer to more of them. Just odd to me. Nice gig for him though.

The org is trying to prepare them mentally, physically, and skill to get them to the pro side, AHL and NHL levels. In San Diego, the pro side, the org has its own dev staff. The player dev still has a part, but probably not a lot of energy/investment is needed compared to prospects outside the org's direct scope.

There's the possibility that the other player development staff with more seniority or experience gets to stay with San Diego while the lower levels or newbies are the ones who have to visit or scout the prospect in person. Getzy is starting off on the ground floor.

JonathnTaylorTavares

Feb 4, 2019
My friend said he saw Getz at Pavillions Rancho Santa Margarita recently (he sees him there a lot). You guys sure he moved permanently?
He only shops at Pavillions. They dont have them in Nashville. Its a long flight but the customer service is unmatched.

Also, wifes family lives in Coto. They probably still visit when he comes for work

Last edited:

IdyllwildEcho

Oct 1, 2022
The Albertsons in Trabuco Canyon (formerly Lucky’s). Not as much
Good memories there too. That was my spot until it became Gelson’s. I remember when it became Albertson’s and we used to rent movies from their video rental section.

Speaking of seeing Getz at Pavilions…Sean at Cigars By the Lake said Teemu stops in about once a month to buy a box of cigars.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
The Kopitar deal makes me even more sad Getzy is already retired from playing.
After listening/reading his recent interviews I'm really glad he retired when he did. He was not enjoying it anymore and losing the way they did this year would have made it worse.

I'm glad he has moved into something he is more passionate about, management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad