GDT: Ducks @ GoodDevils, 7:00, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
defensively their decision making is awful. I'm not a fan of Dano but last night for the first time i heard him be critical of players esp the D. He finally got fed up with the reverse behind the net and sad, just get the puck out. D men still struggle with making the first pass and no team will be successful without that. Forwards still blow the D zone too early. Hughes is a stud but still plays a bit like he's in Plymouth.

Daneyko may be right about the reverse play, but I think he's wrong about 'getting the puck out' as a philosophy - worked great in his day when you could change lines after icing and could throw the puck out of play without penalty.

Reactions: My3Sons

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I suspect his lame duck status is wearing on him.
Clearly for the last seven years or so...lol.

I think he's just trying to show consistency in his game. He looked terrific for most of the night, so like the Detroit game he wanted to be sure to cost us a goal somehow.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I’ve tried and failed to find Corey Pronman’s hockeyprospectus scouting report from when Severson was drafted, but it was basically “a fantastic two-way defenseman who occasionally makes bafflingly terrible decisions that leave you scratching your head.” Still a perfect description of his game.

If that was close to the report, that is definitely what we got :).

I actually hope he does stick with our team somehow, hoping we have a good season and he can be a big part of it. I can see him lifting the cup one day with Nico....

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Severson was responsible for goal #2
Severson was responsible for farting around with the puck behind the net that led to that in front play
Severson (and Graves) completely forgot about Henrique on that breakaway

The dude has had his head up his ass to start the season
His play reminds me of the UFA to be Taylor Hall his last year on the Devils...just waiting to be traded, but it's also not like this is some brand new occurrence for Severson either, so I have no idea what he's doing and neither does he.

Reactions: NJDevs26

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Looking back at the replay it looks like he just didn't see the puck at all and reacted to the stick and/or sound and tried to do something. I really don't know how square up to the shot if you don't see anything, he has to be ready to move if there's a cross ice pass to the RD. I think if he had a better track record we wouldn't even be over analysing these goals this much.

I personally don't think its on him. A well placed shot off a play like that and goes through? It's a goal 9/10 times. You rarely ever see players able to get a clean shot off a faceoff like that anymore.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Man the nice thing about this is watching Siegenthaler supporting Hamilton to let hm do his thing. On that goal if it was Graves, you'd be seeing Graves going in the slot instead of being ready in the back. It's happened multiple times when they played together so I'm not just making that up.

Seigs is so steady

Reactions: Devs3cups

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Looking back at the replay it looks like he just didn't see the puck at all and reacted to the stick and/or sound and tried to do something. I really don't know how square up to the shot if you don't see anything, he has to be ready to move if there's a cross ice pass to the RD. I think if he had a better track record we wouldn't even be over analysing these goals this much.

I agree. I'm not trying to overly criticize him, but rather stating the facts. As you said, it's difficult to read pucks when there is so many bodies in the line of sight.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Where Blackwood is struggling is the positioning/timing on long distance shots:

Flyers Goal 1 - Did not track puck well from outside the circle, leading to bad rebound. After looking at the replay, Severson and the Flyers forward does provide a partial screen which probably contributed to the bad read.

Flyers Goal 2 - Horrible positioning. He was way too out of his crease which allowed the far side to be freed up. Honestly after looking at Goal 1 and Goal 2 - I think Goal 2 was worst. In real time, I thought Goal 1 was worst.

Flyers Goal 3 - Defensive breakdown. Hard to really blame him on this goal, although he could have save it if he guessed right.

Flyers Goal 4 - He was screened in front, but he let up the five hole. I don't think it's deflected. This is another issue where he was not in good position with a screen in front.

Anaheim Goal 1 - Four bodies at the faceoff circle blocking the path of the shooter and the puck squeezes tightly in between two players. Mac does not square up to the shot nor tracks the puck well.

Anaheim Goal 2 - I don't really blame him for this goal. It would have been a very good save if he made it.

So Flyers Goal 1/2/4 and Anaheim Goal 1 were all related to positioning or not seeing the puck well. Hopefully this is something he can improve on over the course of the season.

I think his athleticism seems back to what it was pre-injury and we're seeing some of his better work when the puck is closer to the net. For example, the save in the 2nd period against Anaheim.

Yeah he's not a technically sound goalie, he relies 99% on his athleticism which isn't good.

Reactions: Devilsfan992

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Let another team make that mistake.

A big period against a cellar dwelling team playing its third game in four nights doesn't erase five years of careless play and losing.

'A big period'

Game 1:

1st Period
Assist - Devils lead 1-0

3rd Period
Assist - Devils down 4-2

Game 2:

1st Period
Assist - Devils lead 1-0

Game 3:

2nd Period
Assist - Devils tie 2-2

3rd Period
Assist - Devils lead 3-2

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i’d like to see bratt shoot the puck a bit more…if that’s my only ‘complaint’ i’d say he’s doing fine.

Homedresser

Proverbs 26:4-5
Dec 7, 2021
Daneyko may be right about the reverse play, but I think he's wrong about 'getting the puck out' as a philosophy - worked great in his day when you could change lines after icing and could throw the puck out of play without penalty.
The point he was stressing was when you have had the problems they have had already this year, just get it out. Build the game from there. I for one never agree with banging it off the glass or flipping it out, it's just a turnover but sometimes it's best to get it out and regroup. These forwards love to blow the zone early.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Imagine being so out of touch with reality that you think Bratt of all people is the problem...
He’s only the second biggest problem.

I'll give you this much, you are fully committed to the bit.
Except it’s not a bit. We’ve seen these unironic serious posts for quite some time. That’s what makes it fun.

Reactions: glenwo2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad