Post-Game Talk: Ducks def. Canucks - 5-1 - Brand New Low?

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
I don't think anyone is accusing him of playing poorly on purpose, but just psychologically it is difficult to motivate yourself when you have no confidence in leadership, even if you are being very well compensated.

The Canucks right now remind me of several more standard companies I've worked for that invest all of their money on talent acquisition (referral programs, etc.) but invest nothing in talent retention. As a result nobody wants to be there and they aren't getting good performance from anyone. People are excited to join the company and then 6 months later they leave because there is no direction, no leadership, no competence.

Obviously it's not exactly the same as these are professional hockey players making millions of dollars, but at the same time Petey is basically a kid and I can't help but wonder if there's a similar thing happening psychologically. He just looks like someone who doesn't want to be here and is struggling to find the motivation that drove him here. His whole life has been him pushing himself to become an NHL player and now he is here. Here you are kid, you made it! Enjoy! I don't have any confidence that the Canucks have the professionals necessary to help him take the next step, and he's bright enough to realize that this team isn't going anywhere with the leadership they have. It's tragic, really.

Competent organizations don't just drop 19 year olds onto the roster and expect them to figure everything out on their own. They have coaches, departments in place to help the players grow and reach their potential. It is called "Player Development." The Canucks supposedly have a department like this but we have seen zero evidence of their competence.
if petterson feels this way, he should go back to sweden....tbh....

Reactions: bbud

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
That's the spirit! Teams shouldn't help players that they've invested millions of dollars into! If you're unhappy, get the f*** out! #BellLetsTalk
EP40 looks as if he didn’t lift a weight all summer. He needs someone to tell him that working out Is important for athletes?

brock Boeser looks like one of the poorest conditioned athletes I’ve seen in a while… he needs someone to tell him to exercise and stay in cardiovascular shape? Really? f***ing pathetic if so

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
That's the spirit! Teams shouldn't help players that they've invested millions of dollars into! If you're unhappy, get the f*** out! #BellLetsTalk

He gets paid to be a leading player if he cant do that expect criticism and if it continues at present level it will increase , any of us would be expected to do so in any carreer and if we dont we are hed responsible he should be no different and expect the criticism until he is performing at expected levels .

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
EP40 looks as if he didn’t lift a weight all summer. He needs someone to tell him that working out Is important for athletes?

brock Boeser looks like one of the poorest conditioned athletes I’ve seen in a while… he needs someone to tell him to exercise and stay in cardiovascular shape? Really? f***ing pathetic if so

maybe they saw how the canucks’ former fitness guy rick celebrini altered the hall of fame careers of kevin durant and klay thompson and now they refuse to work out?

or maybe residual loui eriksson mentorship?

or maybe like the rest of us the rain is bumming them out?

or maybe the team never replaced the machine that fell on sami salo and it’s spooking everyone out?

Reactions: Dab

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
You don’t subscribe.

Our 1C and 2C are playing like a couple Loui Erikssons.

Must be lack of confidence.

smh.

There's a multitude of reasons EP could be struggling and not all of them have to center around management - crazy right?

I think EP has depression from the covid seasons and not being able to see family. The pandemic had profound effects on peoples mental health.

Just because a poster doesn't think his performance is directly related to management doesn't mean he's 'pro-Benning' or whatever stupid angle you're playing. And that's not to say it isn't possible. We all know how bad this management team is, including the players I'm sure - but would players risk their careers because of poor management? It's more likely something else effecting Pettersson.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The beach EP40 was surfing on all summer was toxic? I need me some toxic summers !!
You've got to lay off social media, it's like you believe whatever you see on there is all people do.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
You've got to lay off social media, it's like you believe whatever you see on there is all people do.
I mean he certainly didn’t hit the gym or attempt to add weight this off season. Would love to see EP40s daily summer routine! Would also like to see how much protein he’s consuming. Is he interested in being a high level athlete?

Reactions: VanillaCoke

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
something ive been wondering about pettersson ... some are speculating that he is 'having trouble living up to the new contract' (that old line), but I wonder if there's something more going on there ... could it be the negotiation and his eventual settlement left him with some seriously lingering acrimony? He's always been standoff-ish, could it be being forced to take the 7M due to cap restraints instead of the 9 or 10 he thinks he's worth caused him to quit on them..?! (and then even possibly creates a rift between him and whoever in the room he sees as taking up his cap space?) it sounds insane, but is this at all possible? If so another reason to get rid of Benning (and Green) asap, because one hopes that he would be more likely to light it up once they're gone. But also if so -- it would be an incredible lack of professionalism if true, and that's a bigger problem for the future w this guy.. Assuming he's healthy it's hard to find another reason for why he has fallen off so badly..

PS, didn't do this elsewhere, but a mea culpa -- i bought in on the moves this summer, and looks like i was way off base. The old saying, "fool me 11 times..."

I don't think it's the contract because he was like this last season too. Just no where close to the guy that many thought could become a top 10 centre in the league.

I feel like he's trying but just can't do it mentally. He's reached the Ryan O'Reilly "lost my love for the game" level of unhappiness. I mean Canuck-lifer Edler decided that he had had enough. Bo is a shell of his former self too. Something is definitely wrong in the org.

Reactions: Foundational Player

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I don't think it's the contract because he was like this last season too. Just no where close to the guy that many thought could become a top 10 centre in the league.

I feel like he's trying but just can't do it mentally. He's reached the Ryan O'Reilly "lost my love for the game" level of unhappiness. I mean Canuck-lifer Edler decided that he had had enough. Bo is a shell of his former self too. Something is definitely wrong in the org.
Horvat I think might be reaching that "beat down from all the losing / no light at the end of the tunnel" as well.

Reactions: supercanuck

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Ryan O'Reilly should've went back to Sweden. lol

Reactions: supercanuck

Dab

Apr 17, 2017

Being the best requires not taking summers off. EP40 should start by having intensive workout plans made for him in the summer. He should be training with elite professional trainers. Right now I don’t see the commitment to be the best out of EP40, I see a guy perfectly happy to cruise on his god given talents.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
EP is having a down year, similar to what W Nylander went through when he held out for his contract. Unfortunately, this season is probably a complete write-off for him, the team, and all of us.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Being the best requires not taking summers off. EP40 should start by having intensive workout plans made for him in the summer. He should be training with elite professional trainers. Right now I don’t see the commitment to be the best out of EP40, I see a guy perfectly happy to cruise on his god given talents.

Yes, for sure, but if he has lost his love for the game, then how can he make himself work extra hard during the summer (assuming that he actually did not train hard over the summer)? This is the same previously driven guy who dissected his own shot into 12(?) different parts and tried to improve on each of them. It's like if Jordan turned into Bryant Reeves over one off season.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Horvat I think might be reaching that "beat down from all the losing / no light at the end of the tunnel" as well.

midway through the '91 season pat quinn had this worry about linden. linden was quite a bit younger than horvat and had been through less losing, but the vibe was similar. both guys broke through with stellar performances as the heart and soul guy on a fluke team (linden and co pushing the 1989 flames to game 7 OT, horvat and the bubble team), followed by a totally deflating down to earth crash the year after (1990 canucks finishing second last overall, us last year), and then another putrid performance in year two of post-fluke (the 1991 team finished 5th last overall and only made the playoffs because we beat winnipeg twice in the last three games, pushing us two points ahead of them in the standings; all six of our goals in those games scored by momesso, ronning, and courtnall, with courtnall getting the OT winner on bob essensa in the last game of the season).

so midway through the year, looking at a second straight lost year and regression from his guys, knowing that he might have close to zero wins if his hotshot young goalie (troy gamble, lol) didn't start the year playing like a vezina candidate, and worrying about the lightbulb turning off for his captain, what did pat quinn do?

in january, he brought in two actual NHL-level defencemen: diduck and tom kurvers. they pushed the threesome of adrian plavsic, robert nordmark in his second straight year of regression, and kevan guy into a rotation for the #6 role.

sent away that month were establishment bad-era canucks petri skriko and brian bradley (tied for our third leading scorer the year before).

in february, he fired the coach.

in march, he went out of his way to trade away dan quinn, who was rumoured to be a toxic influence on young linden. he got back courtnall, ronning, and momesso, while downgrading butcher for robert dirk.

that same day, he traded two goons (one was kevan guy) to calgary for dana murzyn, who pushed plavsic/nordmark to the press box.

just the culture shift was tremendous. bradley, skriko, and dan quinn were all bad team scorers, and dan quinn was also a piece of human garbage. nordmark never played again, kevan guy barely played again, plavsic was a career tweener. meanwhile, momesso and kurvers both came up with the habs, courtnall was on successful bruins and oilers teams (and had a cup), diduck came up on the '80s islanders, murzyn had a cup with the flames. ronning was a hometown kid who wanted to be here.

i struggle to see what the 2021 version of this would be, but

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad