Post-Game Talk: Ducks def. Canucks - 5-1 - Brand New Low?

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Petey will suddenly go on tear after Benning is fired, similar to how Kucherov get's healthy when the playoff starts. ;)

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Canucks now have exactly the same record after 16 games as they had a year ago. So no, this latest loss to the Ducks isn't the all-time low.

The 'all-time low' in my mind was after last season was mercifully over, the Canucks made zero changes behind the bench or in the management suite. They brought back the same guys, and then brought in the Sedins to polish apples in the management booth.

That pretty well told me how stupid and superficial the Aquilini's apparently think the fan base really is. So this season is really just a continuation of the last one, which turned out as one of the worst in Canuck history.

What this owner richly deserves is swaths of empty seats at Rogers Arena. And it could happen a lot sooner than he thinks.
Last year they had the excuses of "but covid" and "but re-alignment" (even though those excuses never made any sense, but it bought them some benefit of the doubt from the general fan base and media because...well they don't realize that ALL 31 teams faced those challenges).
This year I don't know what lame idiotic excuses they can come up with. If they can't make any more excuses then this will definitely be a new-low even to the fairweather fans.

Reactions: Bubbles

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
OT points make that look better than it really is.

22-43-17 in regulation, which is a 61-point historical pace.

In the Bill Laforge season, generally considered the lowest ebb in club history, the team went 25-46-9. This run is basically identical to that season.

Laforge himself didn't last long, though, getting fired after 20 games with a record of 4-14-2. If the Aquilinis had owned the team in those days they'd have stayed the course and given him several years to establish more pride, hustle and desire.

Reactions: Indiana

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
He's following the Linden model. "If it ain't playoffs, who gives a f***"

And the Sedin model of turning a blind eye and being the nice polite guy out on the ice, except he can't control a game like the Sedins so he's literally just doing nothing out there. Why even have a "C" on your jersey?

These are captains, these are MEN who will do whatever it takes and will stick up for their team no matter what.

Benn
Jenner
Wheeler
Landeskog
Ovie
Tkachuk
Larkin
Stone
Staal
Crosby

lawrence

May 19, 2012
this is indeed a new low for me. Pettersson not living up to even the basic number 1 centreman. Demko has done whatever he can, Hughes has improved but everyone else has took a step back at the wrong time. Horvat, especially Pettersson struggling, our top winger, Boeser also struggling, defense looks like crap outside of Larrsson and Hughes, this team is at a terrible low right now, the worst I feel since the 2001 2002 season, I am lost for words right now. There shouldn't be really any excuses since our whole team is pretty much intact, whole team as in top 2 cent remans are to top 4 wingers, our defense is there I know we are 2-1-1 with Hamonic, but that shouldn't be an excuse heck even the habs have a more valid excuse than this, wtf is wrong with the Canucks.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
ReliableCheerfulChrysomelid-size_restricted.gif

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Didn't watch any of it, first time missing a whole game since last season when they came back from covid and it was ugly. I checked the score and then watched the game highlights, yikes that looked like an ugly one to watch. The defense looked horrible, Halak actually made some good saves to keep them in it what's new, but it looked like it could of easily been a higher score if it wasn't for Halak. EP chance out of the box was ugly to watch, it looked like he had him beat far side forehand, but went with a weak backhand attempt yikes. Brocks chance was a good try little unlucky, but where are you going now? You just watched it hit the post now stop and maybe tap it in, where is the second effort? And where are you going? The only player that looked like they showed up to play was Hoglander, this team is flat and dead, get a new coach with a new voice asap.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Travis Green is a good coach and Jim Benning is a good GM, they just need to get a handle on the situation and turn this season around.

The Canucks have the players to do good things this season, just need to put it all together now.

Just some bad luck I suppose....

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Travis Green is a good coach and Jim Benning is a good GM, they just need to get a handle on the situation and turn this season around.

The Canucks have the players to do good things this season, just need to put it all together now.

i don’t think benning is a good gm. He’s decent scout , and his rfa signings have been very good, outside of that he’s bad at almost everything and I think at best his highest title should be an assistant gm.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
something ive been wondering about pettersson ... some are speculating that he is 'having trouble living up to the new contract' (that old line), but I wonder if there's something more going on there ... could it be the negotiation and his eventual settlement left him with some seriously lingering acrimony? He's always been standoff-ish, could it be being forced to take the 7M due to cap restraints instead of the 9 or 10 he thinks he's worth caused him to quit on them..?! (and then even possibly creates a rift between him and whoever in the room he sees as taking up his cap space?) it sounds insane, but is this at all possible? If so another reason to get rid of Benning (and Green) asap, because one hopes that he would be more likely to light it up once they're gone. But also if so -- it would be an incredible lack of professionalism if true, and that's a bigger problem for the future w this guy.. Assuming he's healthy it's hard to find another reason for why he has fallen off so badly..

PS, didn't do this elsewhere, but a mea culpa -- i bought in on the moves this summer, and looks like i was way off base. The old saying, "fool me 11 times..."

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
something ive been wondering about pettersson ... some are speculating that he is 'having trouble living up to the new contract' (that old line), but I wonder if there's something more going on there ... could it be the negotiation and his eventual settlement left him with some seriously lingering acrimony? He's always been standoff-ish, could it be being forced to take the 7M due to cap restraints instead of the 9 or 10 he thinks he's worth caused him to quit on them..?! (and then even possibly creates a rift between him and whoever in the room he sees as taking up his cap space?) it sounds insane, but is this at all possible? If so another reason to get rid of Benning (and Green) asap, because one hopes that he would be more likely to light it up once they're gone. But also if so -- it would be an incredible lack of professionalism if true, and that's a bigger problem for the future w this guy.. Assuming he's healthy it's hard to find another reason for why he has fallen off so badly..

PS, didn't do this elsewhere, but a mea culpa -- i bought in on the moves this summer, and looks like i was way off base. The old saying, "fool me 11 times..."
I don't subscribe to the theory that Petey is pouting because of management. It's really risky for an athlete to intentionally play poorly. Very real chance to lose your rhythm and mojo that way. Plus, he's likely cost himself money already on his next contract. As for the pressure of living up to his contract, there really wasn't anything to it. He just needed to keep doing what he was doing and he'd be living up to it. No need to elevate his play.

No, this is something else. For one, his shot seems to have abandoned him. Likely due to the lingering wrist injury from last season. But beyond that, there seems to something else troubling him. His skating stride has always been upright. Now he's hunching over and that makes him even easier to knock off the puck. Adding to the postural change, his stickhandling is not crisp (again, wrist related?). Finally, he's chasing the play shift after shift. It used to be that you would see a bad EP shift like once every 5 games. Even on shifts where he didn't create offense, you could see that he read the play correctly and would do something positive to push the puck in the right direction. Now, when he does that it's the exception. Is that just a lack of confidence? Or is there something else at play?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I don't subscribe to the theory that Petey is pouting because of management. It's really risky for an athlete to intentionally play poorly. Very real chance to lose your rhythm and mojo that way. Plus, he's likely cost himself money already on his next contract. As for the pressure of living up to his contract, there really wasn't anything to it. He just needed to keep doing what he was doing and he'd be living up to it. No need to elevate his play.

No, this is something else. For one, his shot seems to have abandoned him. Likely due to the lingering wrist injury from last season. But beyond that, there seems to something else troubling him. His skating stride has always been upright. Now he's hunching over and that makes him even easier to knock off the puck. Adding to the postural change, his stickhandling is not crisp (again, wrist related?). Finally, he's chasing the play shift after shift. It used to be that you would see a bad EP shift like once every 5 games. Even on shifts where he didn't create offense, you could see that he read the play correctly and would do something positive to push the puck in the right direction. Now, when he does that it's the exception. Is that just a lack of confidence? Or is there something else at play?

I don't think anyone is accusing him of playing poorly on purpose, but just psychologically it is difficult to motivate yourself when you have no confidence in leadership, even if you are being very well compensated.

The Canucks right now remind me of several more standard companies I've worked for that invest all of their money on talent acquisition (referral programs, etc.) but invest nothing in talent retention. As a result nobody wants to be there and they aren't getting good performance from anyone. People are excited to join the company and then 6 months later they leave because there is no direction, no leadership, no competence.

Obviously it's not exactly the same as these are professional hockey players making millions of dollars, but at the same time Petey is basically a kid and I can't help but wonder if there's a similar thing happening psychologically. He just looks like someone who doesn't want to be here and is struggling to find the motivation that drove him here. His whole life has been him pushing himself to become an NHL player and now he is here. Here you are kid, you made it! Enjoy! I don't have any confidence that the Canucks have the professionals necessary to help him take the next step, and he's bright enough to realize that this team isn't going anywhere with the leadership they have. It's tragic, really.

Competent organizations don't just drop 19 year olds onto the roster and expect them to figure everything out on their own. They have coaches, departments in place to help the players grow and reach their potential. It is called "Player Development." The Canucks supposedly have a department like this but we have seen zero evidence of their competence.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver

Their records tell us otherwise.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto

Over and over I keep wondering why
Then I give up and see that look in your eyes
Cause if I trip and fall,
I'll be to blame
And if I hit the wall,
I'll still be the same
Wasting your time with your so called friends
The ones you adore and the ones you pretend
And it's kind of sad and deranged
But it's not so bad that it can't be explained

Cause in my mind
It's all a waste of time
And there's no excuse at all
Then I realize, surprise
You were right all along

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

You don’t subscribe.

Our 1C and 2C are playing like a couple Loui Erikssons.

Must be lack of confidence.

smh.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You know things are bad when teams like the Ducks and Kings, who've already bottomed out and are now on the way back up after a few drafts, have caught up and passed the Canucks who are in 'Year 8' of their perpetual rebuild.

In the past couple of seasons the Canucks by contrast have traded two first rounders; two second rounders; along with a third.....are are still one of the NHL's bottom-feeders.

It would be laughable, if it wasn't so sad for the Canuck faithful who just bring themselves to admit how bad things really are.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Unrelated to your post, just wondering if posting while high on drugs is against site rules?

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
Canucks now have exactly the same record after 16 games as they had a year ago. So no, this latest loss to the Ducks isn't the all-time low.

The 'all-time low' in my mind was after last season was mercifully over, the Canucks made zero changes behind the bench or in the management suite. They brought back the same guys, and then brought in the Sedins to polish apples in the management booth.

That pretty well told me how stupid and superficial the Aquilini's apparently think the fan base really is. So this season is really just a continuation of the last one, which turned out as one of the worst in Canuck history.

What this owner richly deserves is swaths of empty seats at Rogers Arena. And it could happen a lot sooner than he thinks.
and if this happens, then he might move the team to an US market....

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
And the Sedin model of turning a blind eye and being the nice polite guy out on the ice, except he can't control a game like the Sedins so he's literally just doing nothing out there. Why even have a "C" on your jersey?

These are captains, these are MEN who will do whatever it takes and will stick up for their team no matter what.

Benn
Jenner
Wheeler
Landeskog
Ovie
Tkachuk
Larkin
Stone
Staal
Crosby
most of them play for a US market..

you don't see that with canadian teams...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad