Claimed off Waivers: Ducks claim Emerson Etem

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
He played okay down the stretch last year, but he's just so frustrating to watch. Doesn't bring enough energy, hockey sense and two-way game is lacking. He's horrible at making plays for linemates, tries to do too much by himself and isn't good enough at this level to get away with those deficiencies.

He recently had a kid though so that combined with having to move must be pretty hectic.

Effort level has never ever been an issue with him. It was just that he couldnt make the play or get the puck in the net. Motor was buzzing a mile a minute but he hit walls hard.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
i fail to see how a broken hand in any way impacts trouba's game there. He got walked.

It's pretty tough to make a stick check the way Trouba was trying with only a few fingers gripping his stick. Obviously this affected his reactionary speed and gave Etem enough time to pull the puck back inside before Trouba could bring his stick over and down. Not saying the finish wasn't great, but the play likely doesn't happen if Trouba's right hand isn't injured there.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

It's pretty tough to make a stick check the way Trouba was trying with only a few fingers gripping his stick. Obviously this affected his reactionary speed and gave Etem enough time to pull the puck back inside before Trouba could bring his stick over and down. Not saying the finish wasn't great, but the play likely doesn't happen if Trouba's right hand isn't injured there.

I see a whole lot of speculation there that doesn't seem rooted in reality. He didn't need t make a stick check there. Staying with Etem would have done the job too, and he failed to do that.

You're making excuses. Trouba ****ed up. It happens to the best of them, and Trouba is certainly not the best of them at this stage.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I see a whole lot of speculation there that doesn't seem rooted in reality. He didn't need t make a stick check there. Staying with Etem would have done the job too, and he failed to do that.

You're making excuses. Trouba ****ed up. It happens to the best of them, and Trouba is certainly not the best of them at this stage.

Yea, you're still missing the point. I said his best clip involves him dangling a 21 year old with a broken hand. Nobody is perfect, except Lidstrom...

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yea, you're still missing the point. I said his best clip involves him dangling a 21 year old with a broken hand. Nobody is perfect, except Lidstrom...

Even Lidstrom made mistakes.

And the broken hand doesn't really factor into this play, as much as you try to suggest it does. Unless a broken hand somehow causes him to catch an edge, but unless he was trying to tripod, I'm pretty sure players don't skate on their hands.

No one is saying Etem is some great talent. For ****'s sake, we just acquired him off waivers, and we're the ones who let him go to begin with. It's a pretty good bet we aren't overrating a kid that we expect to be a 4th line grinder.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Etem for Trouba?
Etem is nothing, I don't even understand why he was claimed. Maybe some ownership pull. Useless.

HockeyShack

Feb 18, 2005
Stanley-Cup-Trophy.jpg

Might as well just give it to them now!

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Etem for Trouba?
Etem is nothing, I don't even understand why he was claimed. Maybe some ownership pull. Useless.

I wouldn't call him useless... I actually like the pick up... we will see how it turns out

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
How the NHL expects to expand to even further than 31 teams in the future when the Ducks have that forward depth that's been thrown around in this thread. It's beyond me.
Hopefully Etem gets another chance in his home town, he's more of a 4LW checker with ok hands in tight but never seems to pull everything together in one shift. Typical tools and no tool box player. Physically matured before the other 17 year olds and had a good juniors and never became anything much after.
Idk why anyone would judge him on an off comment about Buffalo back when he was 18 as any proof he's a terrible person though to that poster before.? ?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he looked good very late last year. I actually had hopes for him. there is ability there.

but he looked appallingly bad preseason. bad decision making, slow skating, poor positioning and weak effort. in the last preseason game he took a clueless unscreened wrist shot from well above the circle as the high forward. it missed and went around creating an oilers break which resulted in a drop pass and open shot for the trailer (his man) because he was slow coming back. i was amazed he got another shift. i would have waived him on the spot.

if he does anything other than stink the honda centre out i would say there is a high chance he cooked up a plan with anaheim to sandbag the canucks so he could take his la wife and their new kid home. good luck with him.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
How the NHL expects to expand to even further than 31 teams in the future when the Ducks have that forward depth that's been thrown around in this thread. It's beyond me.
Hopefully Etem gets another chance in his home town, he's more of a 4LW checker with ok hands in tight but never seems to pull everything together in one shift. Typical tools and no tool box player. Physically matured before the other 17 year olds and had a good juniors and never became anything much after.
Idk why anyone would judge him on an off comment about Buffalo back when he was 18 as any proof he's a terrible person though to that poster before.? ?

The Ducks' depth problem isn't because of the lack of available forwards. Thanks to being in Salary Cap purgatory, Ducks can only afford to fill out their roster with the players making close to league minimum. 33% of the available cap is being taking by their top 3 players. Another 10% of the cap is being eaten by 2 bad contracts that are unmovable. On top of that, the Ducks have only about $3.4 million in cap space to sign to RFA's who, based on other RFA signings, should be making $4 - $6 million each.

member 157595

Guess whose back.
Back again.
Etem's back.
Tell a friend.
Guess whose back. Guess whose back. Guess whose back.

The Ducks created a monster

Cause nobody wants to see Murray no more -

They want Etem - he's chopped liver.

Well if you want Etem this is what he'll give ya

A waiver claim mixed with some cap figures

:laugh:

Nice work.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Thank god. Typical 'young' failed project player that I don't like to have. Rather give his spot to Virtanen, Rodin, or whoever else.. Useless. Glad he's gone.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He's 24 years old, and has yet to stick with a team long enough to really call 'home'. Says a lot about him as a player. He's nothing special and doesn't excel at anything. Easily replaceable, in fact so easy, he was replaced by Jack Skille, so...

Group Chat Legend*

He's 24 years old, and has yet to stick with a team long enough to really call 'home'. Says a lot about him as a player. He's nothing special and doesn't excel at anything. Easily replaceable, in fact so easy, he was replaced by Jack Skille, so...

He ended up replacing himself too...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad