Proposal: Ducks - CBJ

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
It is an example of the level Laine played at this season. He was bad.

I have no interest in paying the assets it would take to acquire him and the contract the Ducks would have to give him.
His bad season was still on par or better than most of our team. By your logic pretty much everyone on our team is also awful if we’re just going off this season alone and are going to ignore previous seasons.

Reactions: Fro

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
His bad season was still on par or better than most of our team. By your logic pretty much everyone on our team is also awful if we’re just going off this season alone and are going to ignore previous seasons.

No. By my logic I wouldn’t pay a 3rd overall to acquire and then 8 mil a year for anyone on the Ducks. And that would be correct.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I personally, don't like grabbing a Dman, unless it's a clear cut #1, that high in the draft. None of the other forwards scream "guaranteed goal-scorer" to me.

Also, if Laine scored 40 in CBJ they likely would not entertain moving him. I think due to his poor season/fit (some argue) there, that would make him available. I think he can completely bounce back as I think his issues were mental (unhappiness, motivation) vs. physical injuries.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I understand the original proposal and I think its reasonable in terms of overall value. But there's no reason for the ducks to do this type of trade now. Henrique is overpaid, but the ducks have cap space and the contract doesn't hurt them. And Henrique is still one of their better players who I expect to bounce back. Bottom line is that the ducks should not be paying to get rid of him at this point just because he's overpaid by about $1.5 M.

In terms of Laine, he'd be a good fit If - and its a big IF - he returns to form and shores up his game away from the puck. I'd rather wait a year and make a pitch to him as a UFA (or sign a different UFA).

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Being only "on par or better" than most of a historically bad Ducks team is a bizarrely low bar to set for a player that's probably going to be looking for a fair amount above his qualifying offer of 7.5M

That's a *really* large bet to make when what you're giving up is not just a top 5 pick, but all the years of the ELC associated with that pick as well.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Being only "on par or better" than most of a historically bad Ducks team is a bizarrely low bar to set for a player that's probably going to be looking for a fair amount above his qualifying offer of 7.5M

That's a *really* large bet to make when what you're giving up is not just a top 5 pick, but all the years of the ELC associated with that pick as well.
The way i see it, we need to start the turn around sooner rather than later. I dont see whoever we draft being at all nhl ready for another 2-3 years. Even at that point it’s unclear if they’ll be a top 6 or top 4 impact player by then. With Laine, we know what we’re getting with him, which is a better goal scorer than anyone we’ve had in years. This season was an outlier imo, new team and a pandemic as a reasons.

I wouldn’t do it one for one, but if there was a deal to be made around that pick and Laine I’d easily be ok with doing it.

unless the goal for the franchise is continue to do nothing to address the goal scoring problem and hope we win the lottery in the next two drafts; then i guess do nothing.

Reactions: Getz2noone

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If its offered I'd take it. No brainer even if we had to buy out a year or two of Henrique's deal.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
That pick is extremely high, and there are question marks galore on Laine and the contract he wants to sign this summer.

Beyond that, I don't think you can sidestep the fact that Henrique has three years remaining on a good contract to play hockey in Southern California. That's a really good situation for him. For a contender and a chance at a Cup, maybe he'd give that up. Yet he won't waive his no-trade protection to go to Columbus, which he's apparently already got on his no-trade list. That's likely not a team that can win a Cup in the next three years. So why not stay in the ideal location that he already knows?

Last edited:

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
That pick is extremely high, and there are question marks galore on Laine and the contract he wants to sign this summer.

Beyond that, I don't think you can sidestep the fact that Henrique has three years remaining on a good contract to play hockey in Southern California. That's a really good situation for him. For a contender and a chance at a Cup, maybe he'd give that up. Yet he won't waive his no-trade protection to go to Columbus, which he's apparently already got on his no-trade list. That's likely not a team that can win a Cup in the next three years. So why not stay in the ideal location that he already knows?
Common sense right?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Ducks decline. They would need a top 6 center more than Buch and the 15th.

Agreed, even if Beniers is "only" an above average 2C, that solidifies the center position for Anaheim for a long time (Zegras/Beniers/Lundestrom) and gives another C that can PK, probably play on the PP, and be a matchup C and play the last few minutes of a close game. If Ducks want a pick in the middle of the first round, I'd rather they move a roster player or pick to do it. If the Ducks move the #3 pick, it should be for one really good asset they need instead of two decent ones.

Reactions: Crazy8oooo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad