Proposal: Ducks - CBJ

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
3rd Overall
Henrique (assumes CBJ isn't on his 10-team list or he agrees to be sent there)

for

Laine (Ducks need to have permission to speak to him and know he'd extend with them)
2021 1st round (TOR)

Ducks pickup a much-needed goal-scoring talent who is still very young, lose Henrique's contract and still get a first later in the round.

BJs pickup a 3rd overall to go with their 5th overall and get Henrique whose contract now sucks but he still is versatile and a leader. They will also save a bit of cash overall as you would expect Laine to cost quite a bit more than Henrique.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Interesting...not sure Tor 1st is the thing that evens it...but don't hate the idea

I was thinking CBJ 1st 2022 instead but I thought that would be too high an ask, given it is a stronger draft class and CBJ may still be out of the playoff picture.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I was thinking CBJ 1st 2022 instead but I thought that would be too high an ask, given it is a stronger draft class and CBJ may still be out of the playoff picture.
Correct...I think maybe the 2nd we have...but that may not be high enough...just have (in my own mind) certain players in late 1st I like for us to pick...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Oh - I wasn't aware his list was public ! Well...mayyyyyyyyyyyyyybe if they ask him nicely ? ;p

They're not public. This was leaked.

If by chance you could get him to change his mind on Columbus, I'd do this trade from CBJ perspective. That second and third year of Henrique's deal is killer, but f*** it it's a 3rd OA pick.

Laine by the way is probably not going to be the hardest guy to sign. He just wants to score goals. If you put him next to Zegras and he scores, he will never leave you. But he's also probably not someone you want to commit to before seeing how much he bounces back next year. Signing him now when you don't know whether he'll score 15 or 50 is premature. So just take him for a year and then figure it out.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Sorry but that 3rd is way too valuable to the rebuild to trade for laine. If we just need someone to grip it and rip it with zegras I’d rather just give rakell that spot

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Columbus does this trade & runs. With the 3rd overall Columbus selects Hughes or Beniers. With the 5th overall Columbus selects Eklund who may end up at Center if #3 is Hughes, if they managed to get Beniers with #3 then they pick Clarke or Edvinsson with #5.

Essentially Columbus could wind up with their Dubois and Jones replacement in the draft.
Laine + Aty Raty pick vs Hughes or Beniers + Henrique.
Even Selanne volunteered to mentor Laine and Raty i still wouldn't do it.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
A center or someone that does more then just score goals.
but like, our biggest issue is the lack of goal scoring. so avoiding a guy who could score 30-40 goals for us does nothing to actually help the team. like, we REALLY don't need more "defensively minded" players on this team.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Good playoff teams manufacture goals through all 4 lines and dont necessarily have to have a pure sniper on each line. Better defense and better puck possession creates goals. If you put laine on the ducks last year i gaurantee he isnt scoring 35 because our defense and puck possession was horrendous. Our issues stem from lacking quality players moreso than just lacking pure goal scorers imo.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
but like, our biggest issue is the lack of goal scoring. so avoiding a guy who could score 30-40 goals for us does nothing to actually help the team. like, we REALLY don't need more "defensively minded" players on this team.

I didn't say defensive minded players. I said more then a guy that literally just scores goals. He gives zero effort anywhere else.

Getzlaf didn't score goals and he had way more of an impact on offense and every other facet of the game then Laine would ever have.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I didn't say defensive minded players. I said more then a guy that literally just scores goals. He gives zero effort anywhere else.

Getzlaf didn't score goals and he had way more of an impact on offense and every other facet of the game then Laine would ever have.
what other thing does a player do besides score goals though? provides assists? that can't happen if we have no one can score goals. someone who can be physical? oh boy that'll solve things... maybe you can bring up something more specific you want from a player?

frankly I don't care if he glides on the back check all the time, if he's potting 30-40 goals for us than that alone helps us win a handful of games and puts is closer to getting into the playoffs.

also are we talking prime Getz or current Getz? because those two have very different impacts on our offense

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
what other thing does a player do besides score goals though? provides assists? that can't happen if we have no one can score goals. someone who can be physical? oh boy that'll solve things... maybe you can bring up something more specific you want from a player?

frankly I don't care if he glides on the back check all the time, if he's potting 30-40 goals for us than that alone helps us win a handful of games and puts is closer to getting into the playoffs.

also are we talking prime Getz or current Getz? because those two have very different impacts on our offense

I'm not even talking about his defensive play or back checking, and it is crazy to me that I have to explain how a player can make a team's offense better other then just scoring goals.

Not to mention, that guy you are okay with coasting just finished the season on a 21 goal 40 point pace.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I'm not even talking about his defensive play or back checking, and it is crazy to me that I have to explain how a player can make a team's offense better other then just scoring goals.

Not to mention, that guy you are okay with coasting just finished the season on a 21 goal 40 point pace.
Ok then explain and clarify. Because the one thing this team has lacked for years has been goal scoring and you don’t want the guy who can only score goals.

also that coasting pace for him is still better than literally everyone on this team lol.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Ok then explain and clarify. Because the one thing this team has lacked for years has been goal scoring and you don’t want the guy who can only score goals.

also that coasting pace for him is still better than literally everyone on this team lol.

That’s actually just false. On the worst pp in history and the worst offense in the NHL other guys were better then him.

Lol his pace was almost the same as Henrique who was waived.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
That’s actually just false. On the worst pp in history and the worst offense in the NHL other guys were better then him.

Lol his pace was almost the same as Henrique who was waived.
comtois, fowler, Rakell were the only guys with more points than Laine and in more games played in a weaker division. Comtois was the only one with more goals, by 4 in 9 more games. Laine also had 82 shots in 46 games this season, insanely low compared to his 226 shots in 68 games last season.his history shows that the more he shoots the more goals he'll get. I see this season as an outlier.

he also had more power play goals and power play points than anyone on our team, you don't think he helps our pp even a little?

and rico getting waived is irrelevant.

do you actually have a player in mind you would make a trade for that could actually help our lack of goal scoring?

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
comtois, fowler, Rakell were the only guys with more points than Laine and in more games played in a weaker division. Comtois was the only one with more goals, by 4 in 9 more games. Laine also had 82 shots in 46 games this season, insanely low compared to his 226 shots in 68 games last season.his history shows that the more he shoots the more goals he'll get. I see this season as an outlier.

he also had more power play goals and power play points than anyone on our team, you don't think he helps our pp even a little?

and rico getting waived is irrelevant.

do you actually have a player in mind you would make a trade for that could actually help our lack of goal scoring?

It is an example of the level Laine played at this season. He was bad.

I have no interest in paying the assets it would take to acquire him and the contract the Ducks would have to give him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad