GDT: Ducks @ Avs | 7pm MT | You Better Duck

Best Pie for Thanksgiving

• Total voters

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Then why do you crap everywhere? Explain that, non-bird person.

You after making this post.

iu

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
And I would argue this, if you put a Christmas spice blend in a pumpkin pie (mind you, that's not something we eat) it would taste like Christmas, but if you put pumpkin spice in some Christmas thing you wouldn't notice. It would be slightly different than with the Christmas spice but still Christmas.
That’s actually pretty fair. Pumpkin pie spice is milder so you can use it in a pinch and it’ll a little off but not super noticeable. Mixed spice in a pumpkin pie would taste odd.

In fairness, mixed spice isn’t necessarily common and all my Christmas treats are century plus old recipes of my Grandma’s from England. German Christmas cookies have a different kind of taste to them so the spices definitely vary by location too

Reactions: UncleRisto

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I didn't look at any stats but that fact right there occurred to me during last night's game. He really seems a half-step behind but defensively, I don't think there have been too many plays where I've seen as being the main culprit for a goal against.

Yeah I don't agree with the defensive critiques. He looks uninspired in the D zone at times, but he's not playing poorly there. He's making good reads and plays there at times too.

Aside from LOC, RJ has been the Avs best defensive forward so far IMO. Lots of good plays covering for teammates on breakdowns. Some of that is his position at center vs wing though.

He'll look uninspired and then all of a sudden there's a situation where he needs to step up and he kicks it into gear and makes a good play. Kind of like his regular season vs playoff performances.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What's all the RyJo hate? Isn't he leading the team in xGF or close to that? He hasn't been producing much but I don't see him costing the team out there.

No RJ's kind of middle of the pack in 5v5 xGF and towards the bottom of the top 6'ers.

To the defensive point though, he's the 2nd best among the top 6'ers at xGA after Lehky. The bottom 6'ers xGA is heavily influenced by less minutes and quality of competition.

Compare that to the same 2C role from previous years, Naz was 20th (4th from last) in 21-22, and Compher was 25th (3rd from last) in 22-23 at 5v5 xGA.

RJ-xGF.png

RJ-xGA.png

The

Reactions: CobraAcesS

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
How is she the worst, I disaggree
Doesn't add anything. IMO the pod doesn't need anyone except AJ and Rudo.

I understand AJ is missing all the time so they need another host, but I don't find her to be very informative or knowledgeable.

She's not terrible, I just don't like listening to her as much as the other two. Eric might actually be the worst now thay I think about it lol

Reactions: The Kingslayer

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022

I understand AJ is missing all the time so they need another host, but I don't find her to be very informative or knowledgeable.

She's not terrible, I just don't like listening to her as much as the other two. Eric might actually be the worst now thay I think about it lol
They remind me a lot of the altitude broadcast. It’s not my style. So I won’t listen. I base my opinion of her from twitter. Between her and TMV that’s about the only media I’ll keep up with. Both of them seem like they work hard, especially TMV, always around the team

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Honestly, I've had my pitchfork out since before the season started.

For all the shit RyJo is getting (from me as well) I seem to remember his line having a dominant shift that ended in a Ducks penalty, and I think the Avs scored on it.

Yeah I don't agree with the defensive critiques. He looks uninspired in the D zone at times, but he's not playing poorly there. He's making good reads and plays there at times too.

Aside from LOC, RJ has been the Avs best defensive forward so far IMO. Lots of good plays covering for teammates on breakdowns. Some of that is his position at center vs wing though.

He'll look uninspired and then all of a sudden there's a situation where he needs to step up and he kicks it into gear and makes a good play. Kind of like his regular season vs playoff performances.

No RJ's kind of middle of the pack in 5v5 xGF and towards the bottom of the top 6'ers.

To the defensive point though, he's the 2nd best among the top 6'ers at xGA after Lehky. The bottom 6'ers xGA is heavily influenced by less minutes and quality of competition.

Compare that to the same 2C role from previous years, Naz was 20th (4th from last) in 21-22, and Compher was 25th (3rd from last) in 22-23 at 5v5 xGA.

RJ-xGF.png

RJ-xGA.png

The

Thank you!! I felt like he was noticeable consistently when he's out there, but it comes in flashes.

If you try hard to watch the game not the puck when he's on the ice you notice him. He knows how to control play without the puck. He has a ton of experience being coached defensively, but has an offensive mind.

I think he'll continue to get better and adjust. How much offense he puts up is going to depend on who he plays with.

He's done a pretty good job of making Tartar and Drouin work as linemates. They didn't look as bad as you'd expected and did some good things.

I think he's held down that spot well enough with the damn whole team running through his wings. But he's obviously not being demoted either.

Got a feeling Bednar sees him differently than a lot of people here. They have a long history. I think he'd also be in the toilet like Drouin and Tartar if Bednar lost trust in him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Thank you!! I felt like he was noticeable consistently when he's out there, but it comes in flashes.

If you try hard to watch the game not the puck when he's on the ice you notice him. He knows how to control play without the puck. He has a ton of experience being coached defensively, but has an offensive mind and a ton of experience.

I think he'll continue to get better and adjust. How much offensive he puts up is going to depend on who he plays with.

He's done a pretty good job of making Tartar and Drouin work as linemates. They didn't look as bad as you'd expected and did some good things.

I think he's held down that spot well enough with the damn whole team running through his wings. But he's obviously not being demoted either.

Got a feeling Bednar sees him differently than a lot of people here. They have a long history. I think he'd also be in the toilet like Drouin and Tartar if Bednar lost trust in him.

RJ's definitely underperforming offensively at 5v5, but we're still just 15 games into the season, and he's contributing in other areas like faceoffs, defense, and the power play.

That said he has had like 3 or 4 chances he could have netted a 5v5 goal, but just didn't find the net. So maybe some more work in practice, or a bit more confidence with his linemates on the ice, and maybe they start to go in.

If he can step up in the playoffs and they make a deep run, I think he'll have pulled his weight fine at 2C. If he doesn't step up in the playoffs, or they don't go on a deep enough run for it to matter, then he won't have IMO.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
RJ's definitely underperforming offensively at 5v5, but we're still just 15 games into the season, and he's contributing in other areas like faceoffs, defense, and the power play.

That said he has had like 3 or 4 chances he could have netted a 5v5 goal, but just didn't find the net.

And if he can step up in the playoffs and they make a deep run, I think he'll have pulled his weight fine at 2C. If he doesn't step up in the playoffs, or they don't go on a deep enough run for it to matter, then he won't have IMO.

The playoffs will be huge, either he realizes this is his chance and wants it bad enough or we may not go far. I'd bet on Bednar to get it out of him though.

Ryjo is the bet Cmac made for real in all of this. I don't think we can fill that position if it doesn't work overall.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

Most of the time I think she doesn't seem informative or knowledgeable because AJ and Rudo seem to think they need to talk over everyone to make sure everyone hears them. I watched videos with her and Jesse Montano without those 2 and it was way more enjoyable. She does a lot of work out there to get info, hopefully she can find another job reporting on the Avs. I just think DNVR in general is just kind of a clusterf*** and AJ and Rudo are too worried about drinking and partying to do much of quality.

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Finally got around to watching this game last night. I know it is the Ducks but damn it is impressive seeing some contribution like that from a 4th line. Have been so accustomed to just being happy when they don't get scored on. Hopefully they can build off that.

Reactions: Pokecheque

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
RJ does decent defensively. His issue is he stops moving his feet and start gliding while reaching with his stick. It doesn't cost him but because he stops moving his feet he doesn't retrieve the puck as well. So he looks bad because of the stretch but that stretch is good enough for his analytics to remain good.
"stops moving his feet and starts gliding while reaching with his stick"......

You just described my playing style! LOL!

It's the bain of every hockey player in existence.......

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
"stops moving his feet and starts gliding while reaching with his stick"......

You just described my playing style! LOL!

It's the bain of every hockey player in existence.......
Yeah all players do that to a level but I don't remember any NHL player that do it at RJ's level. His reach is what is saving him.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I know everyone is hating on RyJo. And I don't actually "enjoy" watching him play myself. But for all our bitching and griping he's still got an xGF% of 54.03 at 5v5. I know, I was shocked myself when I looked it up. Looking at just even strength he improves to 57.33%. Considering his wingers haven't exactly been the strongest on the team either, I'm actually a little impressed by the expected goals rate.

Him centering Drouin and Tartar isn't really helping drive actual goals for closer to the expected goals for level though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I know everyone is hating on RyJo. And I don't actually "enjoy" watching him play myself. But for all our bitching and griping he's still got an xGF% of 54.03 at 5v5. I know, I was shocked myself when I looked it up. Looking at just even strength he improves to 57.33%. Considering his wingers haven't exactly been the strongest on the team either, I'm actually a little impressed by the expected goals rate.

Him centering Drouin and Tartar isn't really helping drive actual goals for closer to the expected goals for level though.

I think that speaks to not only RJ, but also the team being better than people realize, outside of their self inflicted mistakes. RJ's still middle of the pack in xGF% for the team.

Going off xGF though, Drouin-RJ-Tatar is actually RJ's second best combo behind Lehky and VAl. Probably why Bednar keeps trying it.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad