GDT: Ducks at Sharks Preseason game 1 7:30pm: is Karlsson here yet?

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Sharks as a whole were totally dominant. Hertl was noticeably the best skater on the ice in terms of control of the puck and creating chances but he couldn’t bury one. Merkley showed some serious flashes. Heed, Donskoi, LaBanc, and Suomela all didn’t impress considering what should be expected of them. Bibeau was solid.

Heeds shot and ability to get it off in an instant were very noticeable. I think he's trying to play a simple game ala Demelo so he doesn't get benched for the whole season. I thought he looked solid with very few mistakes which is miles ahead of where he was in the last couple games before he was perm-benched last season.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
While those guns are impressive, I feel like the amount of time spent obtaining said guns would be better served improving some of the other aspects of his game.

I think the guns are what keep him in the NHL. His strength and physicality are honestly near the top of the league, which allow him to be a solid bottom pairing guy. I don’t think he can just spend the hours he spends in the gym improving his hockey IQ or puck skills instead.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I honestly think Melker gets the Nieto/Wingels treatment pretty soon.

They don’t need the space right now but they might down the road and it would be nice to clear it up anyways.

I agree especially if they decide to trade for a 3rd line or better centerman. Him and Braun and a prospect or some future pick depending on what's available.

SJFanQC

Dec 14, 2010
Laval
Some of that pronounciation I gave is based on the interference of Quebecois French, which does its best to make everything sound harsher and more guttural than Parisian French. Shortcuts, hard sounds, and English loanwords abound. Le Hot Dog, Le Weekend, both perfectly valid in Canada's second official language. :laugh:

It does sound harsher, and there's a lot more shortcuts. You're right with Chartier. This video is how it's pronounced for all those wondering.

About loan words, French is weird. In Québec do say "Fin de semaine" more than Weekend, whereas people from France who live here always use Weekend. It's a weird thing where we have a lot of loan words but it seems like they have even more, just different ones. And in a poll conducted a couple of years ago, 52% thought we used more loan words, and 47% thought France used more. It's a thing of habit, where we notice the many ones they use that we don't, and same goes for them. I'm pretty sure in reality, we both use a very similar amount.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I agree especially if they decide to trade for a 3rd line or better centerman. Him and Braun and a prospect or some future pick depending on what's available.

I want us to give a chance at 3C and 4C to all of our younger players before making trades. If nobody impresses, I’m perfectly fine with us making a trade. Melker should be traded regardless of what we do for that position.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I want us to give a chance at 3C and 4C to all of our younger players before making trades. If nobody impresses, I’m perfectly fine with us making a trade. Melker should be traded regardless of what we do for that position.

He has to be saved as the 13th forward until they make that package trade though. He is useful in a trade IMO especially to other teams looking for a depth player and a top 4 d-man (Braun).

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Except Jon Root. I dislike Jon Root immensely. He is my mortal enemy. You might even say that he's my..... nemesis.

*pause for effect*
*shades on*

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll show myself out.

Yeah, not a fan of his, either.

Also:

giphy.gif

What's wrong with Root. It's probably a tedious job, but he is enthusiastic about it.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What's wrong with Root. It's probably a tedious job, but he is enthusiastic about it.

His enthusiasm just comes across as kind of fake. Like he doesn't really care about hockey or anything, it's just a stepping stone to something else. Like, I dunno, hosting a local network affiliate morning show or something.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I think the guns are what keep him in the NHL. His strength and physicality are honestly near the top of the league, which allow him to be a solid bottom pairing guy. I don’t think he can just spend the hours he spends in the gym improving his hockey IQ or puck skills instead.

To give him credit, he did improve his skating significantly after the cup run. And given our current defense, the only puck skill he needs is "pass it to Erik" :D

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
It does sound harsher, and there's a lot more shortcuts. You're right with Chartier. This video is how it's pronounced for all those wondering.

About loan words, French is weird. In Québec do say "Fin de semaine" more than Weekend, whereas people from France who live here always use Weekend. It's a weird thing where we have a lot of loan words but it seems like they have even more, just different ones. And in a poll conducted a couple of years ago, 52% thought we used more loan words, and 47% thought France used more. It's a thing of habit, where we notice the many ones they use that we don't, and same goes for them. I'm pretty sure in reality, we both use a very similar amount.

This is mostly correct although they don't really say it with the heavy French accent here (he is from Saskatoon, one of his relatives is a local politician and other family runs the AAA teams in town so I still hear it a lot haha)

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Yeah, I've seen some draft year EK highlights. Ryan Merkley resembles EK at 18 in the defensive zone as well.

I really hope Merkley gets some time with the big club this season. Nothing extensive, just the usual 9 games or whatever. Even if he didn’t play, I just think having the opportunity to learn from Karlsson, Vlasic and Burns would be amazing for his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad