GDT: Ducks at Sharks Preseason game 1 7:30pm: is Karlsson here yet?

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I know it's one game but Chekhovich - Chartier - Goodrow looked like an NHL line. They've got steep competition with Karlsson and Sorenson, but, I really enjoyed watching them.

Reactions: Munnyro

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
You're talking about when he was checking Getz right..? I think that was probably his best play he could have made there considering actual men NHLers can't check him. :laugh:

Actually it was before that. He basically let a Duck walk right past him just after the blueline and didn’t use the body at all or even at least chip the Duck skater.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Another performance like that in the pre-season will pretty much guarantee that Chekovich gets to play atleast a few games. Again, not sure where they would fit him but need to find a spot of him somewhere in that top-9.

Reactions: Friday

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I am not sold on Gambrell so this is how I see the roster right now.

Kane-Pavs-Jumbo
Hertl-Couture-Meier (based on practice)
Labanc-Suomela-Donskoi
??-Goodrow-??

I have a feeling that PDB has Karlsson penciled in for the 4th line. So that really leaves one spot. Praplan has looked better than Gambrell today but honestly not sure if the difference is that significant there.

We should probably just be thankful as long as Pete doesn't pencil Melker in for 2nd line duty over Meier.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sharks as a whole were totally dominant. Hertl was noticeably the best skater on the ice in terms of control of the puck and creating chances but he couldn’t bury one. Merkley showed some serious flashes. Heed, Donskoi, LaBanc, and Suomela all didn’t impress considering what should be expected of them. Bibeau was solid.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
But is he too much man? I hear that's a penalty in the modern NHL. Probably one more thing to blame Bettman for.

His guns are probably illegal in California.

hCget4b.jpg

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I am expecting a lot of Melkman + PDB memes from you this season. He is no DeMelo but Melker is the next best thing PDB has got.

I honestly think Melker gets the Nieto/Wingels treatment pretty soon.

We have to trade him right? For the cap space alone.

They don’t need the space right now but they might down the road and it would be nice to clear it up anyways.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Well that was a nice game. Some nice plays and some players that look almost ready.
Watched merkely fairly closely, not bad, kind of passive on defense but maybe it's not so bad if he opts toward staying healthy. He's pretty damn little. He could just get smashed out there lol

Last edited:
Reactions: slocal

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Didn't Chmelevski look more impressive than Chekhovich during the prospect games? Chmelevski hasn't had a chance to show his stuff yet so I wouldn't pencil anyone in yet. It's gonna be a fierce battle.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Suomela seemed timid or something. Afraid to make a mistake. Donskoi seemed a little disengaged too, he was sorta half-playing, which, I guess, fair enough.

I kind of wanted more out of Sorenson too, though he seemed to be skating and forechecking hard (I want to see playoff Sorenson, dammit).

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Another performance like that in the pre-season will pretty much guarantee that Chekovich gets to play atleast a few games. Again, not sure where they would fit him but need to find a spot of him somewhere in that top-9.

They've shown in previous years that in most cases best players play. If this kid tears up preseason they could either sit or move someone to make room. The other possibility is that they just send him down regardless and consider it money in the bank. Or they use him as trade bait for a top 6 center. The better these prospects look the easier DW's job when trying to improve the roster. Remember this team will never rebuild, DW said basically this exact sentence. So prospects are mostly trade bait.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Didn't Chmelevski look more impressive than Chekhovich during the prospect games? Chmelevski hasn't had a chance to show his stuff yet so I wouldn't pencil anyone in yet. It's gonna be a fierce battle.
Yeah. I think we definitely have prospects with the skill to step up and play in the NHL. That itself is a big win for us from how we looked like 4-5 years back.

I am curious if DW has any say at all on the roster. Can he dictate to PDB to give the kids a chance to play over the likes of Melker?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00